• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol question

lamerica1942

Greenlighter
Hello, I have prescription for Tramadol and I have a very simple question: What does it do? I mean, I have read that it can act like a stimulant and that is something that I do not want it to do. My doctor prescribed it over hydrocodone. Why? I have no idea, because she has had me on hydrocodone for a while and it works. Anyhow, I digress. I usually take it before I go to bed (hydro, that is), so I am definitely that it will not have a sedating effect. Thank you in advance for your responses!

Tramadol is IMO the weakest opiate that is prescribed for pain no where near a hydro in terms of effectiveness ... I rather have a Tylenol 3 or something else than take tramadol
And yes it can be stimulating it's nothing crazy more like a cup of coffee or 2 it's not gonna have you bouncing off the walls, unless you are real sensitive to stimulants.

Many docs won't prescribe hydros, vicodin or anything else due to the potential abuse it can have.... Kinda silly because tramadol can also be abused guess it all depends on what doc you see... Most won't put themselves in a position to deal with someone getting hooked on stronger opiates

Tramadol is a pseudo-opiate. Its metabolite, o-desmethyltramadol, is very potent at the mu opioid receptors, but the tramadol itself is also a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor which is what causes the stimulatory effects, but depending on your dosage, you most likely wont even feel those effects.

It doesnt work quite as well as hydrocodone, but its said to have a lower viability for abuse, so thats why they switched you off of hydros.

Maybe tell your doc to chuck you something with a bit more kick