• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol or Vicodin which causes LESS sexual side effects?

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
was wondering in GENERAL which causes less sexual side effects: Hydrocodone OR Tramadol.I have been taking opiods for years now and I have almost no libido. I take Vicodin 50mg daily and Opana 10mg X2 daily.I have been on roughly the same dosage for years. SO.... Since Tramadol is weak on the mu (k also I believe?) would it be less likely to cause sexual side effects?The only reason I'm unsure is because Tramadol releases Sertonin, which can lower sex drive. But I'm almost certain I'm low on Sertonin after chronic opiod usage and benzos. So it may actually level or my Sertonin to normal levels and not cause any problems. But Tramadol also reuptake NE, which helps in energy and possibly sex drive? I know that's mainly dopamine but *maybe* NE helps? Not sure, haven't googled it.So Vicodin OR Percecot OR Tramadol -- which would generally cause the least negative sexual side effects?

i imagine tramadol would cause less sexual side effects..it still deadens sex drive though..bottom line is, u want to have a relatively normal sex life, get off opiods..theres no other way around it

Iirc tramadol actually helps with PME, so I guess it's your best bet, but just try both.
And I don't think this is suited for OD.

Sorry to jump in on your conversation but do you know if tramadol will prolong withdrawals from other opiates? I'm a few days into WDs and have some trams in the cupboard. I was thinking about taking a couple at night to aid sleep but dont really have much experience with them and wouldnt want to find myself back at square one?

^Yes it will prolong the withdrawal, tramadol is just another opioid, even though is has a comparatively low affinity for the mu-opioid receptor and is a SNRI

Edit: did you try stuff like hydroxyzine for sleep ?

Thanks. I wasnt sure if Tramadol worked in the same way as the effect it produces is so different to the opioids i enjoy and it never seemed to touch the WDs of heroin or even DHC. I have some pregablin also which i've found at times have helped. No i havent tried hydroxyzine.

Im weird I guess, but tramadol used to give me extremely high libido ack when I was taking 250mg+ daily. I could go to the mall or go to the park at the jogging trail and meet women Id consider out of my league and have a strange alpha male thing from the tramadol I was fearless at meeting women. Im not a shy guy but I definitely am not as confident as tramadol made me. I had better sex altogether on tramadol. I would last 30-40 minutes. Tramadol taught me how to be successful with dating/picking up women.

Vicodin has less sexual side effects for sure, except vikes kind of deaden my drive. Tramadol I can never reach orgasm, it takes me like 3 hours. I do have normalish sexual desire on tramadol, but there is no way I can O. Keep in mind that tramadol withdrawal is hell, because it's like coming down from an opiate and an antidepressant. If you have a steady supply it shouldn't be a problem. Percocet maybe the best bet, but I'm not sure I haven't gotten lucky on percs before.

Last edited:
I've been seeing a PM doc and taking hydro for several years, now oxy. Like other posters here, my drive came to a halt, so much that my regular primary doc has prescribed testosterone shots once a month. The T really helps get things going in the right direction again!

It's different for everyone. Personally opiates like hydrocodone, oxy, and codeine made me aroused and horny. Talk to your doctor that prescribes you the medication.

Tramadol is an anti-depressant and a weak mu agonist, hydrocodone is just a regular opiate. I would say that while both will cause decreased libido, tramadol is way more likely to have more unwanted 'side effects' of the sexual nature.

Tramadol is an anti-depressant and a weak mu agonist, hydrocodone is just a regular opiate. I would say that while both will cause decreased libido, tramadol is way more likely to have more unwanted 'side effects' of the sexual nature.

I agree with Znegative. Due to the SNRI effects of Tramadol it definitely caused a stronger decreased libido for me than other opioids as well as a similar phenomenon like the "speed-dick".
But I have never tried Hydrocodone since it is not available in Europe. However I still could have sex on Tramadol and achieve an orgasm mainly after the initial effects wore off and the O-Desmethyltramadol came through.

Slow_Mobius: Kratom also causes a decreased libido. Actually 5g of Borneo Red Vein caused me to be completely unable to come even after heavy stimulation...

Slow_Mobius: Kratom also causes a decreased libido. Actually 5g of Borneo Red Vein caused me to be completely unable to come even after heavy stimulation...

I've had that same problem with any opioid, but kratom haven't noticed any libido issues with kratom. I guess it's all about your own body chemistry

That's because Tramadol increases Sertonin and is actually used for "finishing too quickly" lol. But since it's weak at the MU, and gives me more energy, it seems it goes have less
Side effects.

Also whoever said they where on 300mg+ daily -- how long where you on they dosage for??

Anothe question: since Tramadol raises the seizure threshold, and I take 10mg + of Clonzepam per day, would that allow me to take more than normal Tramadol dosage? Since the Clonzepam lowers the chance of sezuires? Don't know if it works that way..

Just cause it's going to be hard to go from 50mg Vicodin daily over to just Tramadol daily. I would have to be OVER the max daily dosage... Would they allow that since I take Clonzepam daily?