• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol dose and tolerance

gonegirl

Greenlighter
Basic background;
-started using low doses of tramadol to get off lortab addiction (was taking 25 mgs, a day) although low dose/was high for me being new to it (used for a couple of years).

-at first tram did nothing for me, still had the hydrocodone in my system..let some time go by and retried tram and that time it worked. Worked a little too well as now tram seems to be my new best friend as I love and hate her. I have to admit, I do love the energy and sense of well being it gives the first couple of hours. Also, helps me when dealing with peeps that I live with. =D

-On top of this I do have legitimate chronic pain (just dealt with it for years and took nothing stronger than a Motrin for a long time) just got tired of being in pain which led me to lortab then tram where I am at today.

-I have a script for tram (180/month) and I am to take 100 mgs. 3 times a day. 3 years ago it was 100 mgs 2 times a day and was bumped up about a year ago. My issue (and I take these daily for real pain) is they don't seem to help anymore (tolerance build up). I have tried taking 150 mgs am and 150 mgs pm and it feels like I am just as well wasting them. I worry about the seizure issue and I take 1 mg Klon. (benzo) as needed and 10 mg citalopram at bedtime (also aware of SS) but have had no issues with that.

-Wondering if I should just stop taking it for a week (wds wouldn't be too bad as I could take the 10 mg citalopram in the am along with the klon. as needed). Or change the times that I take it? I know easier said than done about stopping for a week esp. when that bottle is just a hop, skip, and jump away.

-I know the doc was wrong when he said these are non addictive and he flat out does not believe in giving me anything stronger. I haven't asked (I can just tell) as he's been my pm for about 8 years.He is an older country doc. in small town.
en
-Would welcome any advice/suggestions good, bad or ugly and thanks for listening to this crazy ole gonegirl.;)

Even though you assume your doc won't prescribe anything stronger, I would still discuss your current situation with him. Otherwise, a tolerance break wouldn't be a bad idea, or you can look in potentiating them..

- hs

A friend of mine with severe chronic pain is getting Lyrica (pregbalin) along with his oxycodone. Lyrica and tramadol should work together as well, though I have gotten a seizure from mixing the two (I have epilepsy though). Lyrica can be used to treat epilepsy together with other medicine, but funny enough one of the side effects of Lyrica is seizures. A paradox. I don't understand the chemistry behind it though. But it is a possibility for you. As you take clonazepam each day I think you are safe, but that is of cause something your doctor will have to decide.

Baclofen is a possibility too.

But when you are starting to take the dosages of tramadol that you are (500 mg+) I really think your doctor should consider something stronger. The seizure risk and the damage that high a dosage does to your serotonin levels might begin to be risky. Codeine might be another possibility too?

Last edited:
A friend of mine with severe chronic pain is getting Lyrica (pregbalin) along with his oxycodone. Lyrica and tramadol should work together as well, though I have gotten a seizure from mixing the two (I have epilepsy though). Lyrica can be used to treat epilepsy together with other medicine, but funny enough one of the side effects of Lyrica is seizures. A paradox. I don't understand the chemistry behind it though. But it is a possibility for you. As you take clonazepam each day I think you are safe, but that is of cause something your doctor will have to decide.

Baclofen is a possibility too.

But when you are starting to take the dosages of tramadol that you are (500 mg+) I really think your doctor should consider something stronger. The seizure risk and the damage that high a dosage does to your serotonin levels might begin to be risky. Codeine might be another possibility too?

I am prescribed a limit of 300 mgs daily and I have been taking about 400 daily (bumped myself up about 100 mgs.).Doc has suggested lyrica and stopping tramadol so I am leery about asking for an increase (that he will just cut me off completely). I have researched lyrica and it seems totally different from tramadol, also a lot of people have gained quite a bit of weight on it and that's the last thing I need as I have COPD from years of being a former smoker. It took me forever to lose 40 pounds (slow metab and being 47) but I can tell that I can breathe a lot better and my shortness of breath isn't as bad as it was being heavier. Thanks for the info.

I honestly feel like I need to stop before I get too far ahead although I'm not on a mega dose, yet. I have decided to taper slowly then stop for a while (maybe a week) and see what happens.

I have ran out before (holiday/pharmacy closed) and I was ok (maybe beacause I take citalopram as well) so it didn't double hit me.