• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol dangerous overdose?

m0ckingbxrd

Greenlighter
I am looking for suggestions as I have very little experience with drugs of any kind.

Approximately 24 hours ago I took 8 pills of 50 MG generic Tramadol, 400 mg total. Along with that,
I took 9 MG of otc melatonin. I have never consumed any amount of illegal substance. I am a 5'10,
210 lbs female.I am in fairly good shape with my weight being made up of mostly muscle.
Since waking up early this morning I have not eaten due to intense nausea. I did not eat for several
hours prior to taking the tramadol.
I was barely able to walk and my vision was blurry around 11 hours after taking it.
Since then I have remained in bed, vomiting every few hours. My symptoms match up with the most
common side effects listed on an accurate medical site.

My parents(I am a teenager) believe I have influenza because of the most obvious symptoms.
I am sure what I took was too much and because of this bad experience I will most likely stay away
from any drugs now on, but I need to know if I am in any immediate danger.

As of now, I have a slight headache and a less intense stomach ache. Is there a need to do anything
medically or would the best method be to wait it out?

Thank you very much for any and all help.

Tramadol is basically both an opioid and an antidepressant. The latter is why higher doses (around 400 mg) can cause the typical symptoms of an antidepressant overdose, i.e. nausea, hypertension, hyperthermia, confusion... and possibly seizures and delirium.

This is especially problematic in people already taking antidepressants, many of which inhibit the conversion of Tramadol from its "raw" form in which it acts as a weak opioid and strong antidepressant into its active metabolite which is a weaker antidepressant and stronger opioid (meaning the gap between a recreational and a seizure-inducing dose becomes even smaller).

If you have never done any illegal substance, why would you take such a large dose of Tramadol? 150 or 200mg would have been enough for a good buzz but probably would not cause this terrible after effects.
Btw Tramadol can cause seizures in even lower doses than the maximal daily dose (which is 400mg) and should not be mixed with other serotonergic drugs because of that.
Don't know about melatonin but 9mg of that is also a lot and a unnecessary high dose?

May I ask why you were taking such large doses of both drugs? You are very lucky that you did not have a seizure. Please don't repeat that and inform yourelf on the drugs you are about to take. Tramadol is notorious for not only seizures but also Serotonine Syndrome when combined with Antidepressants or Ecstasy for example.

Be careful with Tramadol. I had a Grand-Mal Seizure (worst kind) from as little as 200mg Tramadol mixed with a small dose of Amitriptyline.

I wouldn't recommend more than 200mg in one dose. Bad stuff happens with tramadol. Also your symptoms sound like they are just from dosing too much.

after 12 hours i'd say you dodged the bullet, probably due to your bmi. however the amount you took, knowing you have very little experience, raises some serious red flags.

IME tramadol is much more pleasant in staggered doses (~45-75 min between doses) not exceeding 150mg if youre opiate naive. With tramadol, euphoria can quickly turn into seratonin syndrome and some pretty severe dysphoria

The best way to use tramadol is not to take it all at once but take one pill per hour until you feel that it the effects are working. I used to think tramadol was crap, but when you do the one pill every 45 minutes to an hour you can maximize the O-Desmethyltramadol effects and it becomes a much more useful medication. I use it for myself and I have two dogs with cancer who also take it.

For some people it doesn't work at all. But the bottom line is it works better taken as a few smaller doses than one big dose.. Taking it all at once made me throw up my Thanksgiving dinner almost at the table but i made it to the bathroom. Be Safe! :p

The best way to use tramadol is not to take it all at once but take one pill per hour until you feel that it the effects are working. I used to think tramadol was crap, but when you do the one pill every 45 minutes to an hour you can maximize the O-Desmethyltramadol effects and it becomes a much more useful medication. I use it for myself and I have two dogs with cancer who also take it.

For some people it doesn't work at all. But the bottom line is it works better taken as a few smaller doses than one big dose.. Taking it all at once made me throw up my Thanksgiving dinner almost at the table but i made it to the bathroom. Be Safe! :p

^^^ This drug has good value for pain relief and/or recreation when taken this way. take 200 mg all at once and youre in for an unpleasant expereince

^^^ This drug has good value for pain relief and/or recreation when taken this way. take 200 mg all at once and youre in for an unpleasant expereince

people with tramadol dependence that have a high tolerance can only take it in this dosage in order to feel normal, trust me i know from experience. but when experimenting with a drug like this it is best to start low.

I usually take around 400 mg at once , do get a bit flushed , I always take a benzo with it though

I have just taken 300mg of tramadol purely because I could t feel anything off 200mg, admittedly I was also somewhat ignorant. I feel very little tbh apart from a relaxed sensation... I didn't realise it could cause seizures, I feel somewhat stupid now :/

I have just taken 300mg of tramadol purely because I could t feel anything off 200mg, admittedly I was also somewhat ignorant. I feel very little tbh apart from a relaxed sensation... I didn't realise it could cause seizures, I feel somewhat stupid now :/

the seizure threshold for most people with no tolerance regarding tramadol is usually around 400mg

tramadol is a rather fickle drug, it can have one person with no tolerance flying high from a small dose and the next with no tolerance will feel nothing from a high dose. but don't take the lack of euphoria as an invitation to do more, if a high dose like 300mg didn't work for you then it's best you choose a different drug.

SWIM had a first experience with tramadol yesterday. Around 11am he took 150 mg (3 x 50mg) tramadol. He felt pretty good and light for most of the day, and around 2pm started feeling hints of opiate high. Nothing close to being able to nod, but enjoyable. Zero negative side effects. The lack of strength made SWIM want more. At 4pm SWIM thought he would try another 150 mg.

Within 30 minutes SWIM got a feeling of impending doom. SWIM started shaking, pouring sweat, intense flushing, arms and legs tingling, bursts of anxiety and confusion. As this kept getting more intense over the period of another hour SWIM decided it was time to go to the ER. SWIM's roommates drove him, and along the way he projectile vomited the entire contents of his stomach into a bag. Shortly after, still in the car, SWIM had his first grand mal seizure ever.

Two 150 mg doses, 5 hours apart, no other drugs whatsoever that day, not even coffee, and a grand mal seizure. Barely got "high". This drug isn't worth it.

I had my first experience with tramadol yesterday. Around 11am I took 150 mg (3 x 50mg) tramadol. I felt pretty good and light for most of the day, and around 2pm started feeling hints of opiate high. Nothing close to being able to nod, but enjoyable. Zero negative side effects. The lack of strength made me want more. At 4pm I thought I would try another 150 mg.

Within 30 minutes I got a feeling of impending doom. I started shaking, pouring sweat, intense flushing, arms and legs tingling, bursts of anxiety and confusion. As this kept getting more intense over the period of another hour I decided it was time to go to the ER. My roommates drove me, and along the way I projectile vomited the entire contents of my stomach into a bag. Shortly after, still in the car, I had my first grand mal seizure ever.

Two 150 mg doses, 5 hours apart, no other drugs whatsoever that day, not even coffee, and a grand mal seizure. Barely got "high". This drug isn't worth it.

Good HR info but SWIM does not protect you from anything and is frowned upon by BL.