• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol and Surgery

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hi guys.

In two more weeks I must have a minor ambulatory surgery. The doctor will use local anesthesia.

Currently I am taking Tramadol almost daily (100-500 mg) recreationally and as antidepressant. Should I avoid taking it that day (or the day before) or warn the anesthesiologist I am using it?

Thanks.

I'd try and avoid it 24hrs before surgery.
If you can't, then 100% inform the anesthesiologist. It could cause OD complications.
One time I went for surgery and I had been taking ketamine diazepam and oxy that day, and I told the consultant, and they made me wait extra time before going under, which kinda sucked.
I had surgery again not too long after, and again I had been on k benzos and oxy, but I didn't tell them. Obviously I lived to tell the tale but looking back it was pretty stupid.
My best advice is be honest, tram shouldn't be much of a problem, I think it was mainly because of the benzo that they made me wait. Good luck.

You want to do both. Try avoiding for as long before the surgery as possible. When they ask if you're on medication tell them tramadol and they will ask you when the last time you took it was and at what dose so just be honest. It's important they know all this stuff, anaesthesia is quite a serious process and if you usually take an opioid daily they should know what potential adjustments to make. For example you will have a level of opioid tolerance which they'll need to consider when giving you painkillers for the surgery.

Ok, thanks guys.

I will try to stop taking Tramadol a couple of days before surgery and I will be honest with my doctor about it.

I'd call them and tell then you're on Tramadol and does it make a difference?
I think you can take it because I had a surgery under general anesthetic while on Tramadol and I was fine; they said to just take it as normal.