• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol and Suboxone

AFoxDavis

Greenlighter
I don't know where to post this (I just signed up today), but I am an in-recovery addict with a DOC being opiate painkillers. I was clean for 8 years, then two years ago, I began having a lot of pain. Long story short, I've had short usage of opiates after several surgeries for Degenerate Disc Disease, hemorrhagic ovarian cysts, and finally a partial hysterectomy - with a family member who has no history of addiction, keeping me on the proper dosing schedule.
For the last 8 months, I've had chronic pain and my orthopedic doctor told me it's time to get on a chronic pain maintenance medication and suggested me to a pain center, which suggested I get on Suboxone films. My family doctor also said he'd support this move (he's been helping me taper off of Klonopin after I STUPIDLY decided on my own to go cold turkey - NIGHTMARE).
I have polyarthralgia and degenerative disc disease in L4, L5 and S1.
I'd been maintaining that pain with Duexis and muscle relaxers with spurts of Norco (a month to 6 weeks apart to keep me from becoming tolerant or dependent), but the pain is still affecting my life (I used to be extremely active and outdoorsy), my work suffers (I do landscaping and am a children's book illustrator) and I want to be free of the pain and fatigue...BUT NOT fall into dependence, addictive behaviors, etc. again. I worked VERY hard to get clean and stay clean for myself and my two little girls. After getting clean, I realized I didn't need the drugs to be happy and I LIKE being sober. I KNOW, crazy, huh? Haha
That being said, Suboxone film is what my doctors and the psychiatrist want to put me on for managing chronic pain with a past of addiction.
However, a week ago, I was taken to the ER for severe, sudden back pain and I had a 4mm kidney stone. I was given 15 Oxy 7.5mg, Flomax and 15 Tramadol for lesser pain.
I finished off the Oxy during the first five days of passing the stone from my kidney to my bladder, but have had residual pain and have taken 1-2 Tramadol a day for the past two days while it works its way out of my bladder (HURRY UP ALREADY!).
So, here's the question....
I'm supposed to start 1mg of Suboxone 2x's a day today. I got a text a bit ago that my Rx was filled. But, this morning around 6, I took two 50 mg Tramadol for the bladder pain (Not knowing when the Suboxone would be ready bc of pre-auth and the pharmacy having to order it bc they don't carry the Sub films in that low of dosage?).
Is it still OK to start Suboxone today? I'm really scared of the drug to start with and I've heard horror stories of people getting terribly sick. Also, I have to pick my kids up from school in a few hours, so I'm scared I may take the 1mg and pass out or start throwing up or something.
I'm not really worried about withdrawals. Before the kidney stone, it'd been more than a month since I'd taken any Norco 5mgs for the arthritis and disc pain.
ALSO, I've been tapering off of Klonopin for 8 months now!!! (it's taking FOREVER and I have HORRIBLE withdrawals from that...worse than I ever had from any opiates) I'm down to .5mg of Klonopin twice a day, but I usually take .25 twice a day and then .5 at bedtime when I have the most trouble from insomnia.
Can someone help me with this induction of Suboxone for pain management? I'm clueless, here. And scared. 8(8o

K youre gonna have to answer a few questions lol
They gave you 15 oxy pills? What? I want that doctor.
Is the suboxone sublingual? Sorry if i missed that faq.

In low doses suboxone acts as a full agonist opiate, just like vicodin or oxy. I just had to withdraw from low doses suboxone, and to me it was worse than oxy or hydro withdrawals. Just a heads up...

Id be careful mixing tramadol with subs, as subs lower the seizure threshold i believe, and tramadol can induce seizures (in higher doses). Do more research before mixing. Id be hesitant though, and Ive mixed a lot before (stupid druggie mind, lol).

As for the actual question, if you took the trams at 6, you can no problem take the subs after 8 hours. Usually if you do get high from subs, its more of an energetic high, so you wont pass out, especially if youre experienced with opiates.

Something else to calm your nerves a little, suboxone is one of the harder opiates to overdose on, as there is a point where taking more of the drug has no effect.

Best of luck