• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Tramadol and Sertraline

kpunk2017

Bluelighter
So I have been diagnosed with depression and got prescribed sertraline I guess, thing is I had just bought some tramadol, I took some today and im planning on doing so tomorrow too, im aware of serotonin syndrome so how long should I wait until I start medication? I see a 30 on the prescription so I guess those are the mg, also my psychiatrist told me to take half a pill for the first week, it is a shame that most of the tramadol I bought is going to waste since im in this for at least 8 months, Im even considering starting meds a week later and figuring out some excuse to reschedule next appointment with my psychiatrist, any advice?
also I drink lots of coffee and smoke weed regularly, not everyday but 2 times a week? sometimes more, I dont drink too much but could I have one beer on weekends or is it too risky? any experiences with sertraline or advice is welcome, have a good evening.

I'm glad you're not considering taking them together, which was what I assumed when I saw the thread title. Tramadol has a rather long half life but nothing crazy. If you waited 2 days after the last dose, you could be sure of no interactions.

Combining caffeine and weed with sertraline is fine, no dangerous interactions there.

If it is sertraline, then it comes in strengths of 25, 50, and 100 mg. The 30 is most likely the quantity of tablets in the bottle. While taking both prescriptions together can increase your risk of serotonin syndrome it is not extremely dangerous. I have many patients that are prescribed both medications and they are fine (assuming you aren't taking a high dose of either drug). The sertraline has to be taken consistently in order to have a therapeutic effect, so don't expect to feel effects for at least a few weeks, be on the look out for side effects of any kind and tell your Dr. if any of these are bothering you. Weed and caffeine are fine like Xorkoth said. While taking alcohol with sertraline is generally frowned upon it won't kill you. Using both alcohol and sertraline together will most likely increase the risk of side effects. Whether you take the tramadol and the sertraline together is up to you. If you do take the two together just be on the look out for the serotonin syndrome side effects. "Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, rigidity, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea."

Best wishes

If it is sertraline, then it comes in strengths of 25, 50, and 100 mg. The 30 is most likely the quantity of tablets in the bottle. While taking both prescriptions together can increase your risk of serotonin syndrome it is not extremely dangerous. I have many patients that are prescribed both medications and they are fine (assuming you aren't taking a high dose of either drug). The sertraline has to be taken consistently in order to have a therapeutic effect, so don't expect to feel effects for at least a few weeks, be on the look out for side effects of any kind and tell your Dr. if any of these are bothering you. Weed and caffeine are fine like Xorkoth said. While taking alcohol with sertraline is generally frowned upon it won't kill you. Using both alcohol and sertraline together will most likely increase the risk of side effects. Whether you take the tramadol and the sertraline together is up to you. If you do take the two together just be on the look out for the serotonin syndrome side effects. "Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, rigidity, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea."

Best wishes
wow thanks for the info! I will try not to take them together.