• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tramadol and 5-htp in the same day..serotonin syndrome, etc. doesn't make sense

pesto

Greenlighter
Hello,

So I'm trying to wean myself off Tramadol, I read 5-htp helps this.
But then I read people say No don't do that. the 5-htp will increases
Serotonin levels, etc. But isn't that like saying, No Don't take
any more Tramadol because it will increase Serotonin levels?
Could it not Help with the withdrawals.
The Serotonin Syndrome I hear about, is that not just
in Large doses.
Can't you get Serotonin Syndrome from taking too much
Tramadol?
If taking 5-htp when you're winding down, doesn't it
make you feel better, so it's easier?
Thanks

Tramadol is an SNRI, among lots of other things.
5HTP & SNRI combinations aren't dangerous, provided doses aren't too crazy.
5HTP combined with MAOIs & releasers like MDMA probably aren't a good idea.

Most cases of serotonin syndrome are from SRI, and serotonin releaser with MAOI interactions.

If you're reducing doses of Tramadol & adding low doses of 5HTP you should be fine.

I'm not sure but remember SSRIs,SRIs as well as SNDRIs (I think that's the acronym) Anti - Depressants in laymen terms.
As I was saying they all 3 (Classes) LOWER your seizure threshold (Well everyone's brain chem is different so I'm not saying don't take em not you or your Dr. lol).
Basically if your in anyway susceptible to seizures be careful (I found out the hard way lol )

Be safe! :)

PS: As far as you seizure threshold, ANY stimulant almost lowers it a lil' more. (Caffeine, Methamphetamine, Methyl-Phenidate(Ritilan).
Again be safe and sorry I no next to nothing about "SS" except you dont want it.

Last edited:
I'm going to come right out and say that due to 5HTPs poor conversion to brain serotonin (most is destroyed outside the blood-brain barrier) that unless you are megadosing on 5HTP it should not effect longer-acting SSRI/SNRI/releasing agents. So tramadol and 5htp alone should be fine.

Taking high doses of tramadol is dangerous because it can lower the seizure threshold, I believe due to some unspecified action of tramadol's... (other opioids don;t do the same)