• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol, alcohol and benzos, dangerous?

bookina

Bluelighter
Hi!
Well, everything is in the title. My father takes these three things at once, every day, and he looks weird/dumb/clumsy, and I just... want to know whether I should worry?

Thank you

This combination could be dangerous especially if he drinks a lot. When taken excessively, mixing CNS depressants can be deadly.
Has your dad been doing this for a long while?

Thank you Calderone. He has been mixing benzos and alcohol for years (which turns him into a clumsy dumb zombie but apparently does not harm him), but the tramadol is a recent addition, a month or so.
He is overweight, with sleep apnea, and he drinks... i don't know what the threshold for "a lot" is, but ... all the time and in secret?

T. has nailed it, unsurprisingly. This is a fairly straightforward issue. As a general rule, most Central Nervous System (CNS) Depressants are contraindicated in terms of combinations. One of the primary issues, is that combining multiple CNS depressants often produces a powerful synergy in effect. The easiest way to explain this is that 1+1=3, not 2. This goes without saying, but the more drugs one takes, especially Benzodiazepines and Ethanol, the less able said person is going to be to control themselves, most importantly, they will be more liable to consume more drugs either by carelessness or through legitimate amnesia.

I'm not a fear-monger or at least I try not to be, but it wouldn't come as a surprise to me at all if someone were to tell me that they had lethally overdosed from this combination. It's totally possible and the combination is not to be fucked with. You mentioned that your Father becomes visibly intoxicated following consumption, but how bad are we talking about? Some details would be helpful. Is he falling asleed in awkward positions, in mid-conversation or even when standing up? What do his eyes look like?