• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tramadol after shrooms or MDMA

rpm

Bluelighter
OK I posted this in basic drug discussion under the tramadol thread but got no response, so I'm posting it again here as I recon people might know more here:

How safe/good an idea would taking tramdol after 1) mushrooms 2) MDMA. I was thinking that it might bring you back up a bit, particularly with MDMA. But could this potentialy leed to seraton syndrome?

Also as a side note, I took 250mg and 2mg of xanax the other day with my girlfriend (done it a few times in similar doses so not really outragous). Then she went to bed and I decided to take another 50mg. Started playing sim city 4 but after about an hour my eye's couldn't focus. Started watching a film, but the whole focus thing got worse and worse - started to trip a bit - like after a long night on too many pills. Not altogether a pleasent experience. Must have dosed off because my girlfriend woke me at 6:30 telling me I should come to bed. Next day I felt like shit, eyes still a bit weird in the morning and throwing up all day.

Is this in any way normal? Did I take too much? Never experienced anything like it before. By the way I didn't drink at all and I have a bit of a tollerance to xanax at the mo so it 2mg wouldn't cause these effects. I suppose I'm wondering if it's safe to do it again (albiet with a decreased dose).

By the way, I'm posting here for an answer to the first question. The second isn't really that advanced, so answer at your own discresion.

Last edited:
Im not surprised how out of focus you felt the other night.

I absolutely would not recommend taking Tramadol with MDMA.
Its up to you but you may enjoy it at a low dose with mushrooms, but I dont think it would 'bring you back up' I think it would just alter the effects and chill you out a bit more.

Tramadol is an opiod painkiller. A downer. MDMA is a stimulant and Mushrooms are a psychadelic. They wouldn't have as much compounding effects as much as just throwing a twist into your trip. Id be very careful when doing this. Id also take the mushrooms first and wait til your tripping. Then, especially if you rail it, you can slowly increase the dose of tramadol to make sure you didnt do too much, since it is rapidly absorbed.

I have never combined mushrooms or MDMA with a painkiller. I very likely have taken one afterwards to lessen the coming down effects, but I dont remember it boosting the effects at all..just taking the edge off the side effects. I do remember taking an OC after LSD and that did take the jitters away and help me sleep afterward, but i dont think thats what youre looking for

hope i helped a bit

tramadol afeetc levels of serotonin and adrenaline both of which play a part in an mdma high. the combo could be too much serotonin...

tramadol afeetc levels of serotonin and adrenaline both of which play a part in an mdma high. the combo could be too much serotonin...

Yeah, kinda thought this might be the case, was wondering about if it might be safe as starting to come down.

Tramadol is an opiod painkiller. A downer. MDMA is a stimulant and Mushrooms are a psychadelic. They wouldn't have as much compounding effects as much as just throwing a twist into your trip.

It's as much of a noradrenergic and serotonergic agonist as it is an opiod mu agonist. That why I'm asking. I actually think it would be dangerous with MDMA, but think in might be nice at the end of a mushroom trip, as personly I'm usually left wanting more from mushrooms (4h is a bit short).

Tramadol is an opiod painkiller. A downer.

Which is both true and false.
Yes, it's a µ-agonist, i.e. an opioid painkiller. But the compound possesses norepinephrine-reuptake inhibition activity, too, as well as 5-HT-releasing properties. For this reason, tramadol is significantly less sedative and can't be described as a "downer"!

Furthermore, MDMA is a NE- & 5HT-releaser. I can see clearly potential for synergism of both compounds here. Same for psilocybin.

- Murphy

MDMA very potently inhibits the cytochrome P450-2D6 liver enzyme. This enzyme is needed to metabolize tramadol into desmethyl-tramadol, which is the compound that is active as a (still farily weak) mu-opioid receptor agonist. The liver enzyme-inhibiting properties of MDMA persist for ~24-36 hours after one's last dose. So without any metabolism of the tramadol, you got a lot more of the SERT/NET uptake-inhibiting properties of the compound. You might be rather sensitive to these effects, which could explain the puking.

Technically, if taken simultaneously with MDMA (and I do NOT recommend that anyone just go and do this), tramadol should weaken the effects, being a SERT inhibitor. Amphetaminergic compounds--acting at any of the monoamine transporters--are inhibited by transporter inhibitors.

^
MDMA is also inhibits CYP3A4 but less potently than CYP2D6 presumably. Alprazolam is dependent upon CYP3A4 to be metabolized and excreted; and its metabolites are not especially active at benzodiazepine sites so it is not a prodrug as some benzos may be.

Tramadol by itself can cause seizures at higher doses, so I would not combine it with ANY stimulant, including MDMA.

don't take it after mdma! you will be putting yourself at really high risk for having a seizure.
if you need something to chill you out, benzos are the way to go.
i don't think the eye thing was from the e/xanax combo though, it kinda just sounds like a result of too much e.

Tramadol is rather unpredictable when taken on it's own. In the UK it seemed to become the go to mild-opioid that ALL doctors and nurse-practitioners prescribed (due to the reps claiming it didn't cause addiction or physical dependence). Then there were a spate of deaths due to tramadol. I think because it's a less potent analgesic than codeine, people who took 240mg of codeine 'for fun' presumed 300mg of tramadol would be fine.

It was not.

So now doctors are back to codeine (in compound analgesics). Tramadol doesn't appear to be prescribed much... or possibly AT ALL due to the unpredicted death toll.

So mixing it with other drugs that monkey around with the Monoamines seems like a bad idea and someone saying 'well I did it and I was FINE' has no statistical significance whatsoever.

Maybe 50% of the time you will be fine, maybe 90% of the time and maybe 99% of the time but the fact that the death total runs into the hundreds IS statistically significant.

It's just not a good idea.

Tramadol is rather unpredictable when taken on it's own. In the UK it seemed to become the go to mild-opioid that ALL doctors and nurse-practitioners prescribed (due to the reps claiming it didn't cause addiction or physical dependence). Then there were a spate of deaths due to tramadol. I think because it's a less potent analgesic than codeine, people who took 240mg of codeine 'for fun' presumed 300mg of tramadol would be fine.

It was not.

So now doctors are back to codeine (in compound analgesics). Tramadol doesn't appear to be prescribed much... or possibly AT ALL due to the unpredicted death toll.

So mixing it with other drugs that monkey around with the Monoamines seems like a bad idea and someone saying 'well I did it and I was FINE' has no statistical significance whatsoever.

Maybe 50% of the time you will be fine, maybe 90% of the time and maybe 99% of the time but the fact that the death total runs into the hundreds IS statistically significant.

It's just not a good idea.
I second this