• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Toxicology of Butane

i'm not positive as to the toxicology of diethyl ether (btw ether day is coming up on October 16, the anniversary of the first time it was used in human surgery) however i do know it is highly unstable and if not treated carefully can be dangerous to handle due to explosion potential, though i assume most of you would already know that as it is basic chem knowledge.

Nitrous Oxide's dangers lie in b12 deficiencies and the risk of asphyxiation (don't huff balloons, just inhale deeply)

as for butane, it is a very lipophilic molecule and i would worry about it crossing membrane it shouldn't be and be a high risk carcinogen when inhaled (like the other alkanes)

Diethyl ether actually causes relatively speaking, less respiratory depression than more modern equivalents, halothane, cyclopropane, etc. the disadvantage is that its a respiratory irritant to some degree, although in my experience with it, not much of one, so induction of clinical anaesthesia usually combines it with a fast acting, short duration barbiturate such as pentothal or propofol, the upsot is, its just enough of a respiratory irritant, to substantially reduce respiratory depression when inhaled.

Drinking the stuff, thats another matter (and no smoking for quite some time =D *evil grin*

As for neurotoxicity, I used to do quite a lot of ether, and I can't say as I noticed much obvious signs of slowness, but then again, slow yourself down enough, and one likely won't notice at all :D

Question for lipid chicken & the rest of my ADD fellows: drinking Diethyl Ether is bad right (I've just inhaled thusfar)?

ether can be consumed orally, and the effects mimic alcohol but with a much shorter period of intoxication and less hangover effects.

however it's very irritating to the stomach and GI tract, and you will belch and fart ether afterwards. doing it once or twice wouldn't be that bad for you though.

Sounds very, very terrible to me.
However, I guess if you're set on doing it take a sip and see if you want to continue. Ugh.

Don't shot it raw, I mix it 50-50 with vodka or something similar, burns like a bitch, but the taste, I find quite pleasant.

Does anyone know if replacing the Hydrogens on Cyclopropane with Fluorine (Hexafluorocyclopropane) would lead to a safer(combustion wise)and more stable compound? I'd assume it would probly retain relatively the same pharmalogical anesthetic profile right?

Fluorocarbons ae generaly not considered very "safe" because they have a tendency to burn and release hydrogen fluoride.

I unintentionally inhaled a quantity of butane while attempting my first BHO extraction. I did not find it to be a pleasant experience. I felt toxic for several days aftwerwards. Nausea, headache, and dizziness as well as constricted breathing. I am guessing that my overexposure as a result of ignorance was dissimillar to attempting recreation use as an inhalant. Just add, I did the extraction outdoors, but attempted to aid evaporation by blowing over the collection container, which I realized after doing so gave me very unpleasant effects as mentioned. I hope this informationis helpful and correctly posted.

<KZ>

tried butane once, ultra short duration, huffing isobutane on the other hand was way better, had to cough once inhaling it and then it worked way stronger than normal. but nothing one should do often.