• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

took MDMA 4 years ago. still not fully recovered. Brain damage?

saqademus

Greenlighter
Will try to make this as consice as possible:

I've been a regular marijuana smoker for about 6 years now. About 2 years in I was at a party and bought just over half a gram of MDMA. I bombed this not all at once, but spread over throughout the night. I was feeling the effects to the point where it was difficult to perform basic tasks (i was f**ked!). The same night I smoked weed and did a line of ketamin.

I woke up the next day still feeling the effects of the MDMA, and for the next few days, was feeling low and terrible. But I noticed something in particular immediately the day after; I found it suddenly difficult to speak at the same speed that I used to, mainly because I'd be lost trying to think of a certain word.

This feeling has never really gone away 4 and a half years later, and on top of that I noticed some other main symptoms immediately after:

-I dont think I can read as quickly as I used to
-I've lost the ability to think as well "on the fly". I noticed this when I could no longer tell stories as well as I used to unless I have it already planned out.
-i find it harder to pronounce longer words quickly, need to slow down my pronounciation
-more self concious when speaking to people, thus lose attention a little faster.

All these symptoms are quite slight, I still managed to finish my mech engineering degree but still enough that i noticed it immediately the day after.

I know what a lot of people might assume - "Its the weed bro" but that doesnt explain why the symptoms came the day after the party.

This may be a confidence/anxiety issue

Is this damage irreversible? Are there any supplements or nootropics I can take to help? I heard ECGC is good?

N.B - i still smoke weed regulary because I dont think its the cause

Last edited:
Are you sure it is not stress related? If you stop thinking about it.. maybe it will go away?
It's also normal for a heavy stoner to become a little bit "slowed down" after years of heavy use, but thats reversable and not everyone notices this

I've used more MD than you state to have used and I've never noticed problems speaking or reading for more than a few days at most.. it really is strange.
Could be the drugs you got were really f**ked up... did you test them? Are you sure it was only MDMA ?

I reccomend a healthy diet, like fish, good meat, broccoli, and excersice 3 - 5 times a week. It certainly helps me.

In my opinion, this issue does sound stress or anxiety related.. 4.5 years should be way more than enough for your brain to get back in shape
You will probably feel 100% again... I dont think your brain has been damaged for life, just because you did a few drugs in one night

I've been a regular marijuana smoker for about 6 years now

ever think this has something to do with it? everything you reported can be attributed to MJ abuse. I am sorry to burst your bubble but marijuana in not without side effects no matter how many stoners say it is. you should listen to your friends and stop smoking weed.

ever think this has something to do with it? everything you reported can be attributed to MJ abuse. I am sorry to burst your bubble but marijuana in not without side effects no matter how many stoners say it is. you should listen to your friends and stop smoking weed.

Have to agree with this. Everyone who smokes weed regularly or most think daily use of marijuana is alright. Tetrahydrocannabinol is a drug as well and can cause some symptoms if abused. Lay off the weed for a good amount and see if it improves.

I very much doubt it is the Cannabis you are using that is the main problem.
However I strongly recommend that you stop using Cannabis.

People like to think that MDMA isn't that harmful, the reality is that it is quite neurotoxic.
MDMA is responsible for the problems your described through damage to your serotonin and dopamine receptors.

You should recover eventually, but it will take time (years).

There is no doubt this problem came from the MDMA use BUT at this point i think it is more your stress over the subject. I know that right after I had a bad night on MDMA i felt the exact same (almost a year later, and i still do) but I understand that its mostly in my head. I think that I cant think straight, so I therefore dont think straight. There are days where I completely forget about it and i'm perfectly fine but the moment i notice myself pronouncing something wrong or thinking very slowly, it starts back up.

I definitely do not think you permanently damaged yourself though.

Yeah dude, don't go as far as discounting your pot use. I used to be the biggest stoner in the world, but when I quit every issue I had returned to "normal." I have taken quite a bit of E, and if you are stating you have used MDMA one time 4 years ago, I really don't think that is the problem.

Why not kick the pot for a week and see how you feel? I used to smoke 6-7 grams a day of OG Kush man. I would smoke a gram blunt with my girl, leave her house at night... Go home, and roll up another gram blunt by myself. I used to be out of control, and it slowed me down in so many areas. I only smoke when I take E now, and that is once every 3 months, give or take. The first 2 weeks after I roll I feel "impaired" but afterward I am back to normal. Try quitting pot, hitting the gym, and eating healthy. Let us know how it turns out.

I think you're making some grand assumptions here. Maybe you're just getting older.

Well mdma , when you take say half a gram will change the way your brain is flowing temporarily somewhat.

Serotonin is a Vital neurochemical, it has influence over many things including :

- Appetite
- Concentration
- Energy Levels
- Quality of Sleep / Ease of falling asleep (perhaps melatonin related though)
- Our moods perhaps (Suggested through scientifical evidence, thus why common anti-depressants work on serotonin, however are no good i think)

I'd recommend you look for some nice high CBD strains / medical strains of weed,
I don't just mean indicas either because not all contain that, and the essential oils of the plant giving you couch lock effect may confuse you and make you think your even slower haha.

I don't think you've caused in real damage from what you took,
I find Dark Chocolate helps me concentrate a lot, try that it makes me lethal on Cod4 lol

Good luck , and just stay away from chemicals until you are feeling back to normal in regards to your cognitive abilities.

Iv had the same thing happen to me after taking mdma (or what I thought was mdma) 3 weekends in a row. Vision is weird, thinking and planning is gone, personality changes, not very social anymore. Also had extreme bouts of paranoia. It's been 7 months and not much has changed. Just trying to stay positive, eat right, excersise, and stay occupied. It's crazy to me how I thought mdma was safe. Never would have thought id end up like this. I have hope that it will get better though. Even it takes years upon years. Wish you the best of luck with your recovery .

P.s.-I'd defininty think about quiting weed as well. A chemical free brain will most likely heal faster then one being saturated in a substance even as light as thc. You'll also be able to get a good baseline of where your mind and brain are really at when your sober for a little while.

People like to think that MDMA isn't that harmful, the reality is that it is quite neurotoxic.
Care to provide a link to a study?

I understand that above a certain amount coupled with hyperthermia, mdma can be neurotoxic. However all the studies I've read failed to prove any damaging effect using recreational (< 3mg/kg) doses.

For the OP:
Your problems may not root in your weed use, however I also advise putting down weed for a month and see if you notice any improvement. I did when I put it down for a while. :)

Last edited:
A certain set of drug users like to glorify pot and acid as capable of doing no harm, but the reality is a little more complicated than that. As for why all these people on bluelight for the past two years or so report brain damage and long term comedowns from MDMA, I'm a little perplexed. I've taken MDMA (I quit in 2002) hundreds of times and never had any ill effects. I don't think MDMA is the problem.