• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Too much Coca-Cola killed mother: coroner

poledriver

Bluelighter
Too much Coca-Cola killed mother: coroner

INVERCARGILL: Drinking too much Coke killed mother of eight Natasha Harris, a New Zealand coroner has found.

Ms Harris drank up to 10 litres of Coke every day – equal to more than twice the recommended safe daily limit of caffeine and almost 1 kilogram of sugar.

She died aged 30, on February 25, 2010, from a cardiac arrest. Her partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, found her seated on the toilet, slumped against the wall and gasping for air.

Natasha Harris, who died in February 2010, after drinking up to 10 litres of Coke a day. Photo: Supplied

Coca-Cola has argued that the huge quantities of Coke drunk daily by Ms Harris day could not be proven to have contributed to her death.

But in findings released on Tuesday, New Zealand coroner David Crerar said Ms Harris would not have died if it wasn’t for her dependence on Coke.

‘‘I found that, when all of the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died.’’

In the months leading up to her death her health had deteriorated, Mr Hodgkinson said.

‘‘She had no energy and was feeling sick all the time ... She would get up and vomit in the morning.’’

He said her Coke habit had become an addiction: ‘‘She would get moody and get headaches if she didn’t have any Coke and also feel low in energy.’’

Mr Hodgkinson’s mother Vivian said Mr Harris got ‘‘withdrawal symptoms’’ if her Coke ran out, including getting ‘‘the shakes’’ and becoming angry.

The family did not consider Coke was harmful because its labels do not contain warning signs.

The coronial decision revealed Ms Harris likely suffered from a myriad of medical conditions, including a racing heart and ‘‘absent teeth’’, which her family say had rotted out from Coke consumption.

They contend, also, that the amount of Coke Ms Harris drank ruined her children’s teeth, with at least one of her kids being born without enamel.

cont -

http://www.smh.com.au/world/too-much-cocacola-killed-mother-coroner-20130212-2eab8.html

Holy shit wow.

Also, gratitude to the writer for teaching me the word CORONIAL (not to be confused with CORONAL).

The top of the page's title was 'coke killed NZ woman' when i clicked it I thought it was going to be about a cocaine OD.

Christopher Hodgkinson, the husband of Coca-Cola victim Natasha Harris, used to joke with his wife about her addiction.

There's also a vid on the site, but it was taking too long to load so I didn't watch it.

i wonder what that translates in as in if it was meth or cocaine ? how many grams caffine/sugar the buzz it gives to the amonuts of meth you would take to match it

The family did not consider Coke was harmful because its labels do not contain warning signs.

for fucks sake

i mean i wouldnt have expected it to have killed her either but to say you didnt think it'd be harmful b/c there is no warning label is ridiculous

thats 5 2liters of coke a day, who even drinks that much anything a day

that is crazy, can u drink 10L of water/day without getting water poisoning? what did kill her tho the caffeine? the sugar? just the combo? I've been drinking pepsi for most of my life, and while not healthy, i certainly could never touch 10L per day, that's an insane amount and probably costs more than all my addictions combined per day.

coffee itself has a lot more caffeine and people drink tons of it without issue, so what was her problem?

Coca Cola is used as a chemical cleaning product. I don't think anyone could argue Coca Cola is a safe drug or substance to binge on. But then again banning large size sodas at resteraunts became a "civil rights" issue to conservative pundits.

I think its pretty obvious she would have died eventually drinking that. Nearly a kilo of sugar, every day? All of that caffeine probably fucked her sleep as well.

I too don't understand how she could have humanly drank 10L/day.

Heh... well now it's:

Death by coca-cola: 1
Weed: 0
LSD: 0
Mushrooms: 0

Har har har... :)

Coca Cola is used as a chemical cleaning product. I don't think anyone could argue Coca Cola is a safe drug or substance to binge on. But then again banning large size sodas at resteraunts became a "civil rights" issue to conservative pundits.

you're getting a lil too riled up about coke

the lesson here is anything in excess is potentially deadly, and that the mom is a moron

Is Coke addictive? Coroner takes on soft drinks giant

A New Zealand coroner has taken on the world's most valuable brand name in a case that is likely to reverberate around the world.
Southland coroner David Crerar has found that mother-of-eight Natasha Harris died from drinking too much Coke.
Ms Harris, of Invercargill, died aged 30 in February 2010. Evidence at her inquest showed she drank up to 10 litres of "classic" Coke every day – equal to more than twice the recommended safe daily limit of caffeine, and almost one kilogram of sugar.

Natasha Harris, who died in February 2010, after drinking up to 10 litres of Coke a day. Photo: Supplied
Coca-Cola has argued that the huge quantities of Coke she drank could not be proven to have contributed to her death.

But in findings issued yesterday, Mr Crerar said Ms Harris would not have died if it wasn't for her dependence on the drink.
"I find that, when all of the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died."
He said the soft drink company was not to blame for her death, although its product was a contributing factor.

He recommended the Government consider imposing caffeine and sugar warnings on soft drinks, such as those already compulsory on energy drinks.
In the months leading up to her death, Ms Harris' health had deteriorated, partner Chris Hodgkinson told the inquest. "She had no energy and was feeling sick all the time . . . She would get up and vomit in the morning."
He said her Coke habit had become an addiction: "She would get moody and get headaches if she didn't have any Coke, and also feel low in energy."

Mr Crerar found that she died from cardiac arrhythmia after Mr Hodgkinson found her slumped on the toilet, gasping for air. She suffered from a myriad medical conditions, including a racing heart and "absent teeth", which her family says had rotted out from Coke consumption.

She drank between six and 10 litres a day. Mr Crerar estimated that, at the 10l level, she was consuming 2-1/2 times the recommended daily amount of caffeine, and more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake.
Those ingredients, combined with a poor diet, caused her to develop an enlarged liver, an electrolyte imbalance and, ultimately, led to her death. She also had symptoms of caffeine overdose.

Cont -

http://www.smh.com.au/world/is-coke-addictive-coroner-takes-on-soft-drinks-giant-20130213-2ebor.html

I dont get the part where it says her last child was born without enamel because of her coca cola intake. I didnt know that was possible, i mean caffeine is generally avoided when preggers, i cant believe the phosphoric acid and sugar in the coke led to the child being born without enaamel....i guess anything is possible. If you leave a chicken bone in coke for a long time it makes the bones bend like rubber, plus it makes good car battery terminal cleaner...have that weird green blue oxidized stuff when trying to hot start a car? Pour some coke on it lol. Just goes to show too much of anything can be life threatening. I dont drink much soda but i do like a fountain soda when its hot, esp cherry or vanilla coke, or the classic stuff. Its loaded with empy cals but it def does hit the spot. I dont know about drinking gallons a day tho.

Never mind the amount of liquid and caffeine... A kilogram of sugar a day.... holy smokes

Wow...you'd think after her teeth started falling out they might've gotten the hint... :|

^Yeah,you would think that warning sign would have been louder and clearer than any printed one.

If you ban a large sized soda, then the person can just go get more refills.

If you ban a large sized soda, then the person can just go get more refills.

Sure, but the point is that the process of going up and getting the refills discourages them, while just handing out larger servings as a matter of course normalizes and provides tacit acceptance of that level of intake.

Wow...you'd think after her teeth started falling out they might've gotten the hint... :|

Addiction does that.

I'm just here to jump on the "Holy Shit!" bandwagon.

"Ms Harris drank up to 10 litres of Coke every day" - I stopped reading there.

Man, seriously? People can have suck enormous blind spots in their own lives. You know who really failed was her husband. As a spouse, I think you have a duty to tell your partner, honestly, when a line has been crossed. They are in a position to be able to see the delusion, and speak up, rather than just willingly join in the delusion.