• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tolerance with xanax and opiates confusing me

not2quick

Bluelighter
I am a recreational benzo and opiate user. I have a script for xanax, and will do pharm opiates (oxycodone and hydrocodone mainly) whenever I can get them. So my main question is can your tolerance become lower over time? The reason for this question is that it seems to take more to get high even though I hardly use the drugs.

For instance with xanax. I have a script and I hoard them. When I first got them .5 would give me a buzz and 1mg got me feelin real good. Over the next several years up to today I probably dose at MOST once a week. It seems like 2-3 mgs is what I need to get a good heavy buzz. I have even went a month without using and popped 1.5mg and it didn't do the trick. Even though I'm not a daily and most of the time once a week will my tolerance still grow? I'm sure this will get laughs, but I don't want to get to a point where it will take 6mg plus to get where I once was with 2mgs. If I abstain for a few months will the tolerance drop?

The same goes for opiates. There was a time when 10mg hydro would be sweet and just 10mg of oxycodone was smiling euphoria(again don't laugh lol) I hardly take opiates. I don't get them from the street, just when prescribed for surgeries. So I would say over the last few years I have had 3 scripts or so. I just had 2 knee surgeries this year and my surgeon would prescribe 40 5mg oxy IR and 80 5mg hydro, with some 25mg hydroxyzine both times. It just seemed like even after abstaining from opiates my tolerance increased pretty fast. I'm saving the rest because I don't want to have to take 40mg of hydro with all that apap shit or even 30mg of oxycodone to get a good buzz. Basically I want the most bang for buck. I'd rather abstain for several months in order to not go through my stash faster. It just seems as I have gotten older my tolerance has increased even though I'm not a constant abuser.

For the record I'm 33 healthy and daily small amount pot smoker and drink mainly on weekends. So to wrap up my question does tolerance for these drugs build up over the years even though you don't constantly abuse them? Hell my tolerance for pot has not increased and I smoke a couple batties almost every night for the past 16 years.

Thanks

tolerance will slowly go down over time if you are abstinent, but exactly how long that takes is subjective.
i find that tolerance shoots up really fast for opis and benzos even without regular use.

tolerance will slowly go down over time if you are abstinent, but exactly how long that takes is subjective.
i find that tolerance shoots up really fast for opis and benzos even without regular use.

Cool so I'm not the only one, lol. I guess I'll lay off them for a while.

Tolerance is a bitch ass cunt! lol. It is what caused me to go from happily railing 30mg of oxy and being happy all day to later shooting 1-2G of heroin a day! Its crazy what a built up tolerance can make you do... but it will build up over time, regardless.. albeit not as bad as if you were an everyday user, but still will be a slow increase each pill you take benzo or opioid.

For instance with xanax. I have a script and I hoard them. When I first got them .5 would give me a buzz and 1mg got me feelin real good. Over the next several years up to today I probably dose at MOST once a week. It seems like 2-3 mgs is what I need to get a good heavy buzz. I have even went a month without using and popped 1.5mg and it didn't do the trick. ?

I think this is behavioral tolerance/get used , that is you brain have learned how to handle the situation and act normal.
The pharmacogical effect is still there, but you brain know how to counteract the effect.

"Behavioral tolerance occurs with the use of certain psychoactive drugs, where tolerance to a behavioral effect of a drug, such as increased motor activity by methamphetamine, occurs with repeated use; it may occur through drug-independent learning or as a form of pharmacodynamics tolerance in the brain. Behavioral tolerance is often context dependent, meaning tolerance depends on the environment in which the drug is administered, and not the drug itself"

Last edited: