Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tolerance/toxicity of Trazone with PDs

ImightBEaPOTATO

Bluelighter
Good evening

I've been recently prescribed Trazodone as a sleeping aid for my insomnia. I was wondering if this medication can interact (crossover tolerance, potentialisation, toxicity, etc) with psychedelics such as 4-AcO-DMT, Allylescaline and 5-Meo-MiPT (moxy) particularly or other PDs if you have any knowledge. Any information is welcome really %)

Trazodone binds at 5-HT2 receptor, it acts as a serotonin agonist at high doses and a serotonin antagonist at low doses. Like fluoxetine, trazodone's antidepressant activity likely results from blockage of serotonin reuptake by inhibiting serotonin reuptake pump at the presynaptic neuronal membrane. If used for long time periods, postsynaptic neuronal receptor binding sites may also be affected. The sedative effect of trazodone is likely the result of alpha-adrenergic blocking action and modest histamine blockade at H1 receptor. It weakly blocks presynaptic alpha2-adrenergic receptors and strongly inhibits postsynaptic alpha1 receptors. Trazodone does not affect the reuptake of norepinephrine or dopamine within the CNS.
Source: DrugBank.ca

Thank you in advance!

It shouldn't but you'll probably not feel much from the psychedelics.
I'm not sure how antidepressants other than SSRI's affect the psychedelic experience but I assume in a similar fashion since it also functions as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor

I was thinking of not taking trazodone a few days prior to taking a PD, this would be a good diea, right?

I think trazadon is a serotonin antagonist reuptake inhibitor.
These SARIs drugs and well as SSRIs will dull PDs a lot. I have a friend whose prescribe trazadon for depression, she trips often, but the few times Ive dosed with her I noticed she seems MUCH less altered than the rest of the group. I'm sure someone on here can give you more detailed info, I would think if your not taking it daily or for a serious mental illness, then maybe take a week off and dose? I understand that you taper off a med of this sort, so maybe wait for
Others to chime in.

^ hello!

I've been taking Trazodone for two years now (tapering atm, hoping to get off of it nex spring)

well, Trazodone is not only a serotonin reuptake inhibitor which will cause tolerance by serotonin receptor downregulation, but it is also a direct antagonist at 5HT-2A, which one of the main receptor subtypes psychedelics work on (like LSD, psilocybin, mescalin...).
Being an antagonist means, they will stick to the receptor, while not activating, which will prohibit the psychedelic to work on that site.

So it will definately block a good portion of the effects of your trip.

Since you haven't been on it for a long time, skipping 1-2 doses to trip could work out, but when you become dependant on it (which will probably happen after some time), you would get nasty withdrawal symptoms (including intense anxiety, which is obviously no good if you want to trip).

what kind of dose are you being scripted?

I have small doses of 50mg/day, nothing huge compared to the antidepressant doses of 150 mgs or so

I was thinking of not taking trazodone a few days prior to taking a PD, this would be a good diea, right?

Definitely do not do this.
Not only have blood serum levels already built themselves up to the point where it would likely take weeks before it fully left your system it is very unwise to quit taking medication you are prescribed just to have a psychedelic trip.