View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tolerance to nitrous?

Renald

Bluelighter
I have a large nitrous tank at home and sometimes use 10-20 liters of it every day for several days, sometimes do not use it for several weeks. During the last year I used about 5-10 kg of nitrous (600-1200 cartrides of 8 gr). I always used it with large amounts of inhaled air, almost never tried to inhale all the lungs full of the nitrous only. I never felt nitrous is psychedelic, for me it was like an alcohol, but with very short duration and mental clearness. It was in the beginning, it is the same now. I am interested, can such usage pattern lead to a tolerance to its effects? Also, is nitrous tolerance possible?
And more global question, could it be that after a long usage of the same drug you are accustomed to its effects and they look not so unique, profound as it was in the beginning? Imagine you are first time skating on ice or jumping with a parachute from a plane. The psychological effects would differ very much when you do it first times and after a hundred of times, despite nothing changes, there is the same ice, the same plane, the same height and parachute. Can it be with drugs the same, as you become acquainted to the effects and feel less? Maybe this is the cause of tolerance?

I think the answer is no, you can't really develop true tolerance to nitrous, as it sounds like your own experience indicates. I don't know a lot about how nitrous works, but I believe it is in a much different way than pharmaceutical drugs, which affect specific receptor sites. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I understand about nitrous.

In answer to the second part of your question, that's true that you can become accustomed to a drug's effects such that it completely looses it's novelty value. You can also learn how to navigate that headspace more effectively such that you acquire a sort of psychological tolerance to a drug, such as NO.