• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tolerance to most drugs can easily be prevented

I had a friend who got really into taking DXM.So much so that he would order the raw DXM crystal from an online distributor.My girlfriend and I did a huge dose with him one night(about 750 mg of the crystaline powder each).After that weird ass trip night was over we noticed a strange side effect the next day.My girl and I both had pretty good sized heroin habbits at the time and were not able to score until about 5pm the next day.Only then did we notice we were starting to get dope sick.This caused us to wonder whether or not DXM might stave off opiate withdawls.Neither of us really enjoyed the DXM so we never repeated the experiment but it still makes me wonder if there might not be some basis to this.

I can say in my experience it helps with phenibut and benzo tolerance.

Something a little off topic but still regarding DXM:
For people coming off a stimulating kratom strain and having wd's.. recommended dose of DXM on the packaging, recommended pseudoephedrine dose, phenibut (small amounts 300-500mg 3xday), and taurine help a lot. Take that mixture for the first week of wds and you should be good after that, worked for me but.. YMMV.

What if you're trying to reduce DXM tolerance?

Using NMDA antagonists can't completely prevent tolerance, though it might delay the inevitable to some degree.

I can say in my experience it helps with phenibut and benzo tolerance.

Something a little off topic but still regarding DXM:
For people coming off a stimulating kratom strain and having wd's.. recommended dose of DXM on the packaging, recommended pseudoephedrine dose, phenibut (small amounts 300-500mg 3xday), and taurine help a lot. Take that mixture for the first week of wds and you should be good after that, worked for me but.. YMMV.

I have been sick recently (common cold) and I absolutely hated the feeling of DXM and pseudoephedrine together. I'm glad and surprised the combo worked for you. :)

I had a friend who got really into taking DXM.So much so that he would order the raw DXM crystal from an online distributor.My girlfriend and I did a huge dose with him one night(about 750 mg of the crystaline powder each).After that weird ass trip night was over we noticed a strange side effect the next day.My girl and I both had pretty good sized heroin habbits at the time and were not able to score until about 5pm the next day.Only then did we notice we were starting to get dope sick.This caused us to wonder whether or not DXM might stave off opiate withdawls.Neither of us really enjoyed the DXM so we never repeated the experiment but it still makes me wonder if there might not be some basis to this.

It can help but taking a high dose of DXM in withdrawal for me is really unpleasant in my experience.

Dxm + 10mgs of hydrocodone had me slobbering & uncoordinated......it would take me 15 minutes to type 4 words. I don't know what the heck happened......I don't know if thats what you call very very high or it was a side effect shutting down a part of the brain. Also, my girlfriend had said I sounded so messed up talking to her, like very high.

Never been like that when mixing Valium or somas with hydrocodone, etc.....strange!

What dose of DXM?

What about gabapentin ? Does dxm reverse the tolerance? That would be great becUse tolerance is rapid.

I don't understand the rapid tolerance comments about gabapentin. I take the shit every day and I still get ripped. I got so ripped last night it felt like I was having a full body orgasm, it was insane. And that was my 5th day in a row taking large doses...

If anyone has anything to comment on legitimacy of studies i posted earlier please comment, i am very interested in this article and have no aversion regarding negative criticism of it.

I ve read about DXM keeping opiate tolrance lower, but this does not apply to any other class of drugs.

Using NMDA antagonists can't completely prevent tolerance, though it might delay the inevitable to some degree.

What about using NMDA antagonists for lowering tolerance when not taking an opioid?

Edit:

Well they at least seem to reduce acute withdrawal symptoms:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002130100739

Naloxone increased ratings and produced physical changes consistent with opioid withdrawal. Memantine attenuated the severity of opioid withdrawal as assessed with the Clinical Institute for Narcotic Withdrawal Scale scale. Withdrawal was significantly reduced when naloxone was administered at 6 and 52 h after memantine, but not when administered 126 h (5 days) after memantine

This one is interesting too, and you can view the whole study for free.

http://journals.lww.com/anesthesiol...ne_to_Facilitate_Opioid_Withdrawal_in.43.aspx
Use of Ketamine to Facilitate Opioid Withdrawal in a Child
Advancement of management of critically ill children has resulted in widespread use of opioids for sedation. However, no guidelines for appropriate administration of opioids in pediatric intensive care sedation are yet available. As a result, many children have experienced physical dependence characterized by the emergence of withdrawal symptoms after cessation of opioid administration.1 It has been demonstrated that N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonists reduce the occurrence of opioid dependence in adult humans2 and animal models of such dependence.3

Last edited:
I ve read about DXM keeping opiate tolrance lower, but this does not apply to any other class of drugs.

This is wrong, confirmed by research and many anecdotes wich you can see in my original thread.

As an aside, ampa antagonism works too atleast for withdrawals, topiramate is a ampa antagonist:
Topiramate in opiate withdrawal- comparison with clonidine and with carbamazepine/mianserin.
Zullino DF1, Krenz S, Zimmerman G, Miozzari A, Rajeswaran R, Kolly S, Khazaal Y.
Author information 1University Department of Adult Psychiatry, Lausanne, Switzerland. [email protected]
Abstract
There are some rationales for developing anticonvulsants for the treatment of substance abuse. The blockade of the AMPA/kainate subtype of glutamate receptor by topiramate may be of particular interest, as preclinical studies of withdrawal from opioids suggest that whilst AMPA-receptor antagonists may not be able to prevent tolerance or dependence from developing, they may ameliorate both physical and emotional consequences of withdrawal.

METHODS: Ten consecutively admitted patients treated with topiramate were compared in a retrospective naturalistic drug utilization observation study with 10 consecutively admitted patients treated with clonidine and with 10 consecutively admitted patients treated with a carbamazepine/ mianserin combination.

RESULTS: In 9 cases of the clonidine group and in 7 carbamazepine/mianserin treated patients the dose had been reduced, whereas this occurred in only 2 topiramate treated patients (p < 0.01). Patients in the topiramate group received less p.r.n. myorelaxant medication than the two other groups, and there was a significant difference between the three groups with regard to p.r.n. analgesics (p < 0.05), topiramate and clonidine treated patients receiving fewer analgesics than the carbamazepine/mianserin group.

CONCLUSIONS: Compared to clonidine and carbamazepine/mianserin, a detoxification scheme using high initial and then decreasing doses of topiramate appeared to be appropriate for most patients and as associated with less analgesic and myorelaxant comedication, indicating a more promising efficacy at the used doses.
Hum Psychopharmacol. 2003 Jul;18(5):375-7.
Topiramate in benzodiazepine withdrawal.
Cheseaux M1, Monnat M, Zullino DF.
Author information 1Policlinique Médicale Universitaire, Lausanne, Switzerland.
Abstract
There is an increasing interest in anticonvulsants for the treatment of benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms. The new anticonvulsant compound topiramate seems to be an especially promising drug for this indication. It acts, among others, as an AMPA antagonist, which may be responsible in part for its anticonvulsant efficacy, but may also modulate the withdrawal-induced activation of noradrenergic neurons in the locus coeruleus, which are related to some behavioural effects of benzodiazepine withdrawal. A case is presented of a rapid benzodiazepine-withdrawal treated successfully with topiramate.Copyright 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Topiramate in opiate withdrawal.
Zullino DF1, Cottier AC, Besson J.
Author information 1Division of Substance Abuse, University Department of Adult Psychiatry, Prilly-Lausanne, Switzerland. [email protected]
Abstract
The alpha2-adrenergic agonist clonidine is the mainly used drug for the opiate withdrawal. Its efficacy and tolerance in treating withdrawal symptoms is, however, suboptimal. The pharmacological profile of topiramate suggests it could be rather valuable for opiate withdrawal, as there is some evidence that topiramate acts, among others, through inhibition of alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazole propionic acid (AMPA) receptors, which play an important role in the withdrawal-induced activation of the locus coeruleus (LC) by glutamate. Three patients undergoing an inpatient opiate detoxification program were treated with topiramate, which achieved a nearly complete control of withdrawal symptoms

What if you're trying to reduce DXM tolerance?
Very good question, anecdotes indicate that DXM works long term for the prevention of tolerance and dimishing of withdrawals, therefor it seems that there is no development of tolerance to the anti tolerance effects.

This is however not the case with MXE and ketamine, wich do work very well in the short term.

Hi, Jonesie here...
Well, I gave it two weeks. My stop date was August 8. I took DMX faithfully thrice daily, about 45 minutes before my regular medicine. I was hoping it would help me take less medication, save money, but it didn't help in any noticeable way. I really had my hopes up :(.

I tried using low dose DXM to prevent my opiate tolerance climbing back in the day and and it never worked for me, although I've noticed that my tolerance to the drugs I take daily (bupe, valium, clonazepam) drops noticeably for a few days after I go on a K or MXE binge (I actually nearly threw up from my bupe the other week, which hasn't happened for over a year). I tested this repeatedly and it happened every time, but it requires a decent session, at least a good 24 - 36 hours of more or less constant high dosing, to occur, and it always wore off within 3 - 4 days.

I tried using low dose DXM to prevent my opiate tolerance climbing back in the day and and it never worked for me, although I've noticed that my tolerance to the drugs I take daily (bupe, valium, clonazepam) drops noticeably for a few days after I go on a K or MXE binge (I actually nearly threw up from my bupe the other week, which hasn't happened for over a year). I tested this repeatedly and it happened every time, but it requires a decent session, at least a good 24 - 36 hours of more or less constant high dosing, to occur, and it always wore off within 3 - 4 days.

Is that weird that it works so well for me then??? I could get sick EASILY if i took 4 more mg's of my dose (I've learned from experience... CONSISTENT experience) i even had to lower my dose 2 mg since the buzz was so strong after 2 weeks of the DXM- i'm still getting buzzes EASY dude, like wtf. why.

i would totally feel like this is some crazy bluelight conspiracy shit but it's not in my own experience.

O_O

What dose of dxm, did you use? you report success with stronger nmda antagonists so it's likely you undercover on the dxm?

Hi, Jonesie here...
Well, I gave it two weeks. My stop date was August 8. I took DMX faithfully thrice daily, about 45 minutes before my regular medicine. I was hoping it would help me take less medication, save money, but it didn't help in any noticeable way. I really had my hopes up :(.

Most ppl report a active drop of tolerance while they stay on opiates or benzos, however some only reported success when taking a break of the drug, take dxm, for a week and then restarting the drug to notice a drastic reversal of tolerance.

I'm happy to see ppl report negative experiences here too, I think in the advanced section ppl failing just didn't report back giving a wrong idea about the success rate.

Tried this for 2-3 weeks with Delsym 12 Hour at 60mg 2x daily after reading the other thread a long time ago before I had an account here. I did notice some drop in the amount of alprazolam I needed to get high, maybe down to 1.5mg vs 2mg, but I don't know if it was just an interaction between the two as when I stopped my tolerance shot right back up. With the heroin and poppy tea I was using at the same time I noticed no change in tolerance.

^ An interaction most likely. When you take benzodiazepines regularly, your body produces more glutamate to counteract higher levels of GABA caused by benzodiazepines. DXM is an NMDA antagonist and NMDA receptors are glutamate receptors, so basically you diminished glutamatergic neurotransmission and alprazolam was more efficient. Also, DXM has depressant effects itself through NMDA antagonism.

DXM however seems to work very well against opioid tolerance and it's been long documented that DXM potentiates morphine's analgesic effects. I managed to lower my Suboxone dose from 10-12mg a day down to 2mg a day in a manner of two weeks at most and it boosted mu opioid effects of bupe/norbupe when I was taking both at the same time, along with side effects of course. Once I took 2mg of Suboxone an hour after taking like 150mg of DXM (mind you that I was taking DXM daily then, so it wasn't my only dose), and my heart rate went down to 50 BPM, so be very careful if you plan using dissociatives to combat opioid tolerance. Both classes of drugs also depress breathing.