• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tolerance already manifesting behavioural changes in the individual

Burn it up

Bluelighter
If an individual is already experimenting tolerance to a drug it means that some plasticity mechanisms are already going on in the brain. Are these changes subtle or could they be capable of affecting the behaviour, emotions and perception of the individual? I am talking merely about chemical tolerance and not to the next step, which would be physical or psychological dependance which would clearly have effect on the individual.

I ask this because at the moment I have a somewhat high tolerance to some drugs (stimulants, opioids, benzos and empathogens), but it has not always been like this. In retrospective, I think that this acquisition of this tolerance to some substances has not affected my behaviour or mental functioning in a discernible way. This tolerance has made me increase dosages to acquire similar effects, but is not related to an irresponsible frequent drug use nor I am dependant on them.

I was wondering if just the mere act of having tolerance to some drugs already implies that the brain is ongoing some changes that actually have an effect on my behaviour (even if apparently I don’t perceive them)?

I would like to hear your opinions on this topic. Thank you!

It's more likely to be a reflection of "set and setting" than an indicator of changes in the brain.

Some forms of tolerance are as simple as adding a phosphoryl group to the intracellular part of a receptor. The same process happens normally due to endogenous neurotransmission.

And the fact that some receptors are now phosphorylated because of tolerance could not make my usual neurotransmission function in a slightly altered way while sober?

Potentially yes -- there could be subtle changes in mood, affect, or cognition. But its not just drug use that can have that effect -- even sleep deprivation can probably increase some types of receptor desensitization.

Last edited: