• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

To downgrade? (car)

What 23

Ex-Bluelighter
I bought or am paying on a 2012 vehicle that I picked up last year. I have driven around 90k miles as a courier. All highway, easy miles. Recently I ran through some high water, and it ruined the engine. It now has a rebuilt engine. Other problems are a faulty O2 sensor which isn't hard to get replaced but I have lagged on it. Another issue is just cosmetic, as I pulled too far forward when I parked once and the bottom lip of the front of the car scraped the cement lip ahead of the space, and when I pulled out it pulled that out, bending it. One other ding from someone hitting it with a door. That's it. Runs great. Non smoker.

It costed right around 13000 when I got it new.

Well, the engine took three weeks to come in, and I used my mom's jeep. And now that I have this thing back, I realize how toxic the interior is. I just want to get rid of it.I had been reacting all this year, allergically, to something... and I had no idea what it was, until I got that break from my car. Still one year after and still the thing smells "new".

And it hurts me. Basically... I am thinking of trading it in for a less toxic and more off gassed model. Thinking of a Honda Civic, as it has the cleanest ratings... The least amount of allergens and VOCs.

My question is... How much do you think that a rebuilt engine and previous "water damage" (no mold) will hurt me when I trade it in?

I am willing to take a hit... I don't care... I just want out of this glue-mobile.

...Just hope it is not that bad of a hit.

I have a Kia Rio. When I got it, I had no idea that Kia had such horrible environmental ratings. I was going by what I thought I could afford, and the 40 mpg rating, and unfortunately, style.

Also, anyone have any tips for reducing the toxin level inside? Steam cleaning help you think? I may try to salvage it before getting rid of it... But I did find a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid that looks decent for about 6500. I may just pick it up in the mean time.

I do believe Kias have the worst, if not one of the worst, resell values. In other words, they depreciate more than other makes. You probably owe more than it's worth, considering the cosmetic damage and rebuilt engine.

Do you have full insurance? If so maybe just park it somewhere no so nice w key left on the dash or in the ignition. :) i once was able to total a car w insurance because it was flooded, fyi.

No but seriously the civic sounds like a good call! With the high milage on the kkkkkia, prolly no gonna do you any favors on the value.

civics always a good choice

shit I wish I had money for a race-spec toyota supra

Going from a Kia of any kind to a Honda of any kind is not a downgrade at all. I do think it's a little odd that you're thinking of trading your car in because you feel that you are allergic to your car's interior (the same reason that I think it's little nutty that my mother always seems to have a problem with mold and bugs in her walls whenever she moves into another home sometimes even a brand new or remodeled place, I'm tempted to say it's all in the head but I am not you or her so I can't know for sure). But either way I am not a Honda fan at all, but I would rather have a Honda Civic than the highest model of Kia available any old day of the fucking week. You're surprised with the quality/problems that you've encountered? You bought a Kia, what did you expect, a nice car? No offense or anything but I'm pretty sure that everyone knew that a Kia was the worst car you could get. Cheap with a good warranty, sure. But it's the more affordable sister company to Hyundai which is also nothing to expect much from. Buying some cheap Korean econo-box and you're really surprised that the thing is a POS? Do a little more research before you buy a car next time. Realistically what car available for sale is more bottom of the barrel than a Kia? (assuming you live in North America. If you live in an area where Russian cars are available or something i am sorry for assuming)

civics always a good choice

shit I wish I had money for a race-spec toyota supra

Civic= ~ $18,000

Supra= ~ $50,000

You're comparing the two? Supras are essentially Japanese supercars- RWD twin turbo 6spd 320hp monsters that look amazing. Civics are entry-level economy cars. What in the world do the two have to do with eachother?

Last edited by a moderator:
lol @ korean cars. even all the korean people i know don't drive hyundai / kia

stick with japanese cars, there's a reason why honda / toyota does so well.
i drive a 2000 civic, the only thing i've had to replace was the radiator (aside from the usual fluids / oil filter changes). owned it for 2 years now.

I decided to keep it. It was just loaded with dust. I have an issue with not cleaning things.

Really the mechanical quality isn't at all bad with them/this car. No issue for over 100 k miles except o2 sensor and what I did to it. Its much better than the 03 Malibu I had, which needed new brakes every 30k miles. But yes, if I could go back I'd spend the extra 30-40/month for a CRX hybrid :)

I would not have considered KIA only a few years ago. They have made a lot of improvements really. Main gripe I have is their toxic interior.