• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos To daily benzo users-Why does Valium cause depression whereas Xanax doesn't

Alexander16

Bluelighter
So I've been on xanax for 3 years now daily and it really pisses me the fuck off, it does manage my anxiety-while in effect but when it wears off I get the most fucked up panic attacks imaginable sometimes. Also every morning I wake up withdrawing and basically have to wait for it to kick in until I'm ok. I much prefered diazepam as I rarely got panic attacks on it, but after maybe 6-8 weeks of daily use I always end up with serious depression, never feel depressed on xanax...In fact I can barely feel any emotion on it

Is there any way around this, I've found it easy enough to do a straight crossover from Xanax to valium so that's not much of a problem. I'm honestly just pissed off at having to pop numerous pills a day to feel normal, my dosage is 4mg/day btw

Are you talking about side effects or withdrawal?

Xanax actually really helps with depression, as it's often times RX'd for depression.
Valium, not so much.
They're both GREAT for anxiety, Valium has better muscle relaxant properties and Xanax has better anti-depressant properties.

You'll almost never get a RX for Valium for depression.
Xanax, you CAN get a RX for depression.

4mg of xanax is quite a dosage daily and given the time on xanax i would tread lightly speak to your doc before you lowering, switching or CT xanax use
imo but it seems you are only making your panic attack situation worse by taking xanax daily thats how people abuse them and tolerance grows
they rely on them when in fact benzos are best when used as needed
if you are having extreme panic attacks daily think an SSRI will be a better solution

everyone reacts different to different benzo i dont react good to ativan very thin line of feeling nothing and feeling drunk off my ass
i love valium personally but i wouldnt take it everyday maybe if i had a ton of shit to do that day ill take one if not xanax is always there " in case shit happens"

You probably feel better with Valium because it lasts much longer than Xanax. But it doesn´t really work for depression.
If you feel you are really depressed and not only feeling the addiction to benzos, you could take an antidepressant.

Suggest you go to a doctor and treat this accordingly because 3 years on Xanax requires constantly upgrades on your doses, and that will only make you more dependent on benzodiazepines.

The doctor will probably change your medication and add some other pill so you can slowly decrease your daily intake. IMO this is something you would probably want to do now instead of later.

Last edited:
I believe it can cause depression when you stop doing benzos or try to decrease it considerably. Lethargy would fit most cases IMO/E.

Since the OP doesn't tolerate diazepam well, if a benzo taper is required, I'd suggest clonazepam (NOT clonazolam.) I bet your doctor will go that route, if not maybe suggest it. Sometimes docs don't always think things through as well as they could and I'd hate to see the doc try a Xanax taper, they're almost impossible to get through.

Please, mods don't see this as helping the OP get drugs, OP is already prescribed Xanax, HR calls for a slow taper on a long acting benzo, and OP doesn't tolerate diazepam. Thanks.

Any doctor who prescribes xanax as a mono-therapy for depression isn't doing her job right.

Alprazolam (xanax) and the related Loprazolam have been noted to have anti-depressive properties, though. I don't know what the biological mechanism for this effect is, but being somewhat selective for the alpha-2 subunit might have a hand to play in it. Also the fact that xanax tends to leave the system faster, allowing a bit of, lets say, "breathing room" (ironic), whereas valium stays in the system for at least several days after the last dose.

You probably feel better with Valium because it lasts much longer than Xanax. But it doesn´t really work for depression.
If you feel you are really depressed and not only feeling the addiction to benzos, you could take an antidepressant.

Suggest you go to a doctor and treat this accordingly because 3 years on Xanax requires constantly upgrades on your doses, and that will only make you more dependent on benzodiazepines.

The doctor will probably change your medication and add some other pill so you can slowly decrease your daily intake. IMO this is something you would probably want to do now instead of later.

I've tried so many SSRI's...Horrible side effects, hallucinations etc. I've came off xanax numerous times and crossed right over to valium, first week was rough but after that my anxiety was at bay, its just after maybe 2 months or so I become extremely depressed? I can't tell if the xanax numbs my emotions to a point where I can't feel sad or valium causes depression by itself

Any doctor who prescribes xanax as a mono-therapy for depression isn't doing her job right.

Alprazolam (xanax) and the related Loprazolam have been noted to have anti-depressive properties, though. I don't know what the biological mechanism for this effect is, but being somewhat selective for the alpha-2 subunit might have a hand to play in it. Also the fact that xanax tends to leave the system faster, allowing a bit of, lets say, "breathing room" (ironic), whereas valium stays in the system for at least several days after the last dose.

It wasn't prescribed for depression, it was prescribed for chronic anxiety and agoraphobia.

Since the OP doesn't tolerate diazepam well, if a benzo taper is required, I'd suggest clonazepam (NOT clonazolam.) I bet your doctor will go that route, if not maybe suggest it. Sometimes docs don't always think things through as well as they could and I'd hate to see the doc try a Xanax taper, they're almost impossible to get through.

Please, mods don't see this as helping the OP get drugs, OP is already prescribed Xanax, HR calls for a slow taper on a long acting benzo, and OP doesn't tolerate diazepam. Thanks.

I've tried clonazepam before, it did little for my anxiety but made me feel extremely drunk/sedated. There's no way in hell I could taper off xanax by itself. I actually find valium better for general anxiety, but xanax make me feel more "myself"?