View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tis the season for liberty caps

Libbymuncher

Greenlighter
Has anyone had any look with picking liberty cap/magic mushrooms this year? I've been a few times but no look after the 1st harvest there just not coming back?? :/ find it really hard to find new spots aswell normally go north wales area any tips??? As I only know to pick libs and in a very few places thanks

Last edited:
Apparently sheep pastures are the way to go... but please be reminded of the rules on the forum, no questions pics etc about identification. But feel free to share anecdotes about mushrooms you picked.

While I am a mushroom hunter / picker myself I eat the culinary kind found in the wild not the psychedelic kind, and I only stick to species that are relatively easy to identify and more importantly hard to miss. With libs that is different. (Lib = liberty cap = psilocybe semilanceata; psilocybe = greek for baldheaded mofo, or hooligan for short) many psychedelic psilocybe mushrooms have lookalikes that may very well be inedible or poisonous. Be careful!

Yeah, I got some a couple of weeks ago, not many because it's been so dry here this year, but they're out there. Try cooler wetter parts of fields on hills. Hopefully now the weather has turned there will be more. I think most of the lookalike species are harmless & liberty caps are quite easy to identify, but still be careful.

Yeah, I got some a couple of weeks ago, not many because it's been so dry here this year, but they're out there. Try cooler wetter parts of fields on hills. Hopefully now the weather has turned there will be more. I think most of the lookalike species are harmless & liberty caps are quite easy to identify, but still be careful.
Yeah the dryness has has been a pain went today to a 1 spot it's next to a waterfall/dam so usually pretty wet anyway but still nothing as yet got a good 1000 from 1st harvest earlier on in September end of August

I got just over 30 from a 2 hour walk in the Peak District, dried to 1gram, usually I'd get more at this time of year.

Liberty caps do stand out quite distinctively from there look a likes but i go by the rule of if I doubt it a little bit it's not worth the risk for the odd shroom left

I just have a few fields in Denbigh and moel famau area that I normally get a good few 100 from every couple of weeks this time of year but literally found about 20 between me and my girlfriend today

Not much you can do, not every year is great for a mushroom harvest. I enjoy the walk anyway, it's good to getting out into some beautiful countryside, exercise, fresh air, I go out when it's not mushroom season too, the mushrooms are just a bonus. Just got to hope we get the right cool & damp weather before it gets frosty. We've had some rain, cool nights & misty mornings here, so it should be looking better soon. Just look in parts of fields higher up the hill, shaded by the hill & parts that usually get a bit damp, they often grow in slightly different areas on different years & different parts of the season.

I'm not going to give exact locations, there are lots of places in the peak district where they grow, it's a really common mushroom. I don't want every stoner on the internet to pick my mushrooms before I get there. Grass fields on top of hills are the places to look, doesn't need any animals present, they grow on rotting grass roots, not dung, but they're usually in fields where animals graze. They like cool damp areas of grass, so look on the north side of hills this year, places that are a bit shaded from the sun, but as the weather gets better for them they'll pop up in more places, almost any open bit of grass is a possibility if the conditions are right.

You can also spread them while you're picking them, hold them in your hand, don't put them straight in a bag, maybe give them a little flick or shake. Me & my friends accidentally seeded a couple of bowling greens in a local park one year (we'd stand under the shelter to split the harvest from the field next to the bowling greens), that was epic, got thousands of huge mushrooms off two bowling greens in the park next to collage, between me & my friends.

Maybe it'll just be a short season this year, mid October is usually best & the weather has been looking good for them so far this week, I expect to find quite a few next week. A hard frost will kill them all off, so have to pick as many as you can in the next 3 weeks or so.

Last edited:
It was more out of curiosity that I asked. I grew up there and it's probably my favourite place in the world, although life has since taken me far away. There's nothing quite like the wind, bracken and gritstone of the Peaks - the mushrooms must love it. :)

It was more out of curiosity that I asked. I grew up there and it's probably my favourite place in the world, although life has since taken me far away. There's nothing quite like the wind, bracken and gritstone of the Peaks - the mushrooms must love it. :)

Yeah, it's a really beautiful place. I'm in Sheffield, I love getting out for a walk on the peaks, it's my second favourite place in the world, after Sheffield. Finding mushrooms is just an extra bonus. If it's a hill with grass on it then there's a good chance of finding some mushrooms at this time of year, they're all over, at least in the gritstone 'dark peak' area. I know a couple of good spots that are well known locally & don't need to be any more well known, it's a public forum so I can't give exact locations here, probably against the rules too.

You'll be lucky if people are willing to give away there sites to you; finding new sites is just a matter of persistance and spotting likely sources; some years will be bad; a good year you can collect enough to cover that though.

I've had problems storing them in the past. They seem to lose potency after a few months & after about 6 months they're worthless, dried & stored in an airtight plastic container, in the dark at room temperature. I've had parasites on them too. Might not be much danger of me getting enough to store for too long this year, but I'm off psychs for a month, so I'll need to store some. They all die after the first couple of hard ground frosts, so I need to be picking them soon, but taking any in the next week or two is likely a bad idea for me.

Anybody got any storage tips? I've heard of people drying & crushing them to powder, packing tightly in airtight glass jars & freezing them. I'd rather not have class A's in my freezer though.

I really love the taste too, and the smell, I'd eat them even if they weren't psychedelic. I love walking into a cold damp field that stinks of magic mushrooms, can sniff them out in a good year.

Talking of sniffing them out, has anybody trained a dog to hunt for them? Might be a small problem with the dog eating them & having to deal with a trippy dog, but I bet they could find some.

I think they're stronger & provide a better trip than cubensis too. Feels great, like a real connection with nature, especially eating them fresh on the same day as I've picked them, they taste & feel so earthy. They grow in some really nice scenic places, if I can see the view through the fog, the fresh cold wet air, long wet grass, wind, drizzle, aching legs & trench foot feel amazing, then a big mushroom trip to finish off the day is perfect. It's much more satisfying than buying drugs, got to work to find them instead. It's seasonal too, helps to prepare me for winter, no danger of winter blues when my extremities have already been numbed in October & I've got enough mushrooms to trip every week. They only grow for a couple of months a year & I can't really store them for much longer than a couple of months either, that's a limiting factor. I've had to throw away bad mushrooms before, but I'd like to store them for a little longer, I'd like to try them in summer at least once in my life. Maybe they are a bit of a darker drug to be taken in autumn/winter & lsd is for spring/summer, maybe it'd spoil autumn for me a bit, but I'd still like to store some.

So? Any tips? Is crushing them & packing tightly in a sealed glass jar going to help? Anything else I can do, except freezing?

They can grow on any piece of grass with the right conditions, if it's cool & damp enough, so giving away locations is pointless. I also suggest you try seeding some likely locations with spores if there are none growing there, I've done it accidentally before. Just look for cool damp patches of grass, later in the season they'll move to warmer dryer areas too, as they become cooler & wetter. So with fields on hills, they'll often move down the hill & round to the south side of hills later on in the season. Need it to drop below about 10c at night & for there to have been some rain in the last few days.

If the grass is wet then they'll be bigger & a darker brown colour, smaller & beige if it's dry. The bigger size & darker colour is just water, they'll dry the same. After drying larger mushrooms have more overall drug content than smaller ones, but they're usually not as potent by weight. The stems seem less active than the caps, and can be a bit stringy when dried, I'm sure they still have something in though, I usually pull the end off the stem to make them easier to eat. I think they're a bit easier to spot when they're drier & lighter coloured, when they're wet they're a muddy colour.

When they die due to frost they turn black, they're still active, but not as pleasant. That marks the end of the season, no more will come after a couple of hard frosts.

Some years I've seen them in late spring/early summer, if it's been unusually cold & wet after a hot spell, but it's very rare & I never found more than 2 or 3. I've even had a couple from grass verges in some great years, but the ones near me just seem to be related lookalikes that probably aren't very active.

I've never found any below 200m above sea level, higher is usually better, especially in bad years.

Last edited:
Dry them - but dry them cracker dry - then powderise and capsule in a glass jar. I've kept them for 5 or 6 years at room temperature with no loss in potency.

Maybe I didn't get every bit of moisture out before & I didn't crush them or pack them tightly. If I find enough to store I'll probably make some crushed mushroom powder caps, sounds like a good plan. I like eating whole mushrooms, but they're no good after 6 months.

If you leave them as whole mushrooms they start re-absorbing moisture from the air. If you dry them cracker dry and then leave them in air for a day or two you can feel they start bending again with moisture. That's why I think powderising and capsuling is a good idea - at least it gives you another barrier to any moisture reabsorptoin.

ive got a field full of what i believe to them just next door but the in my next door neighbors field and we don't get on so its of matter of do i risk it

ive got a field full of what i believe to them just next door but the in my next door neighbors field and we don't get on so its of matter of do i risk it

Don't ever eat mushrooms that you "believe" to be magic, you need to be surer than that! Shroomery has some mushroom id information, but it's better to find a friend that can confidently identify them & teach you what to look for.

Last edited:
Liberty caps are pretty easy to identify... It's a wise idea to read a mushroom identifier guide first though and have a look at pictures on the internet if you've never gone picking. For what it's worth I've read on some identification site that there are no poisonous look-a-likes to libs in the UK. Can't say the same is true for the rest of the world though. I've had successful pickings on random golf courses in Scotland when I lived there. Grasslands where farm animals graze are meant to be good spots too, ideally on northern facing hills!

Anyone in Benelux/Germany/France seen any liberty caps yet? I think the temperatures might still be a bit too high for them to really start growing around here.