View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tips on Ego Death

StayChiefy420

Greenlighter
Hey im wondering what one should do when an ego death occurs, I seem to get ego death a lot due to a bad experience of having ego death my first time trying any psycadelics which was shrooms

I was with the WRONG people and during my first ego death was unable to defend myself or know what my surroundings where I ended up getting robbed for my iPhone, 8 grams of weed, my north face and a eighth of shrooms and left at a park. I ended up going to a hospital because I thought I was dead and was asking strangers for help and I pissed myself because I thought I was "dead and in Asian heaven so it doesn't matter if I piss myself" im white but the first person I saw was Asian and I went into an Asian restaurant asking for help

So after that shitty experience I seem more prone to ego death so im wondering what one should do with themselves when an ego death occurs

Mind u I trip alone at the safety of my house every time now.

Thanks

Peace

Does it happen everytime? Not going to lie, Asian heaven was kind of funny.

That sounds like a really shitty experience that may be hard to recover from. Sorry that happened to you, and I hope you find better friends to trip with next time. When ego death hits me, music always really helps me through. Meditation is also a great idea. If you haven't learned, it's a good investment.

Nice one chiefy - asian heaven :)

If it's mushrooms you need to just clear your mind of expectations and trust the mushroom to look after you. It's been looking after people for thousands of years so just let it do it's stuff. If it's LSD you're using try splitting the dose 30 minutes apart. This will change the trip completely into something more akin to Ecstasy. But it can make your stomach more sensitive this way so avoid eating much on the day and try just to sip a little water while you're tripping.

Good thinking on staying indoors.

For many, the death of the ego appears to lead to a more open mind, less prone to the tides of habitual thoughts and emotions. However, it can lead to panic. Without the proper preparation, guidance or research, the experience of ego death may be quite frightening to go through. It is important that as a passenger in this act of this depersonalization, the participant plays a role in the process and is open to the act of surrendering to the experience as it unfolds. Resisting and holding onto who one feels they are can halt the potential benefits of seeing the world in a new way that is full of possibility and can in fact take the journey down a rabbit-hole of contemplation that can seem to be unending.

The integration of the experience of ego death often allows a greater appreciation for what it means to be alive and what it is that is truly important. No longer defined by money, position or social rank, one can feel, perhaps for the first time, as on with the universe, observing and participating in how the world is perceived. This may act as the catalyst in unlocking the age-old ability to heal and become the director of one's own destiny.

I can't quite shake the notion that I will get Lost "out there" and not be able to find my way back. It always hits me as straight panic and I end up fighting to retain some control.

I think it is due to a previous hospitalization while using psychs and the fear of doing it again.

You'll all ways come back.... No worries :)
Psychedelics for some people, are use to visit the other world; to let go and flow down that river of dreams in wonderment just being...

Some don't like this place and fight it... that's maybe why some have panic attracts... fighting to maintain there reality... I feel they are the type that should never use psychedelics....

Or if they do, they are only taking VERY weak doses...
I.E. 500 ug LSD = Heavy ego loss type doses

or a weak 50 ug LSD doses where you are still able to communicate with others....

Last edited:
On psychedelics, you always come down, remember that and feel no fear in exploring

Oh, I like to visit, but I also like to come home(which I never realize until I am gone ;-) ). It would be like running off into the wilderness with an "oh fuck I forgot my map" kinda feeling.

Also, I think a lot about alternate realities that are only subtly different and whatnot. I dunno. Thanks for the words.

Take psychedelics at home, and don't go out into public on high doses like that.

As for ego death, or ego fragmentation, if it happens just go with it.

Sounds to me like you are carrying a lot of baggage and fear into the trip, you are setting yourself up for the negative experience by buildup and retention of anexiety and apprehension. With all these trips behind you you aren't a greenhorn, you know what you are doing. My advice would be to hold off on tripping at that level until you can process through that stuff. Or simply take less. But if you are intentionally dosing to get to that level when you are apprehensive and fearing the result you are setting yourself up for a rough ride.

I had a bad experience around 4 years ago, everything turned into a hellish setting after I lost my temper and I smashed most of my house, ended up subdued by friends and admitted to hospital. I spent around 3 months not tripping after that, everything went smoothly although I was rather jittery on the come-up(that still happens to this day). If you're feeling nervous about it and have access to benzos I'd suggest bringing some with you to counteract the anxiety and greatly dull the trip incase you begin to feel bad.

I hope you find the peace inside that you are looking for, just remember it all comes from within.

I hope you find the peace inside that you are looking for, just remember it all comes from within.

I asked a buddhist hot dog salesman for some change once and he said "Change comes only from within". Mind you, I had asked him to "make me one with everything".

Great post by everyone, particularly Toltec.

I find this topic fascinating. I experienced ego death on about 350mcg, along with my friend. It began when we were looking at each other and seeing ourselves through the other person's eyes, absolutely mind blowing. From there we became more and more melded with the vibrations around us, until we were one with everything! (for lack of a better description). We got a little scared how long the phenomenon lasted, but soon enough we were back on earth, and it was like we had just been on the most amazing holiday of our lives!

Here's some things I would suggest that have already been mentioned:

Surroundings and company: You want to be somewhere secure and also preferably with some natural beauty around you or at least some sort of cool visual to look at. You want to do it with people that you can safely call close friends. You should be comfortable enough to tell these people you love them and mean it, without feeling any doubt. In saying this, if you prefer tripping alone then just do that.

Allow for time: Don't have any commitments planned for ideally 48 hours after you dose. 24 minimum.

Go with the flow: During ego death you can't really control the direction of the experience, as already said, trying to control or resist won't allow you to let go. Just float away and remind yourself that you will come back.

Music (This is more of a tip I use for steering a K-hole): Have positive, uplifting, calm music playing. Seeing as you have no control, the music will help steer you in a good direction. When I use this during K-holing, I play positive and uplifting metal music, like Turisas (Finnish battle metal).

I am by no means an expert on this topic, having experienced it once only on LSD and coming very close another time whilst Kittyflipping.

Oh and dude, I got the shit beaten out of me BAD when I was high on mushies about 10 years ago. It didn't deter me at all from psychedelics ;) It was a very traumatic experience though.