• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tips and general opinion of Edibles

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
So I'm about to create some of my weed infused vegetable oil again since I've recently grown to love cannabis as it doesn't give me panic attacks ever since my depression has been toned down. What also initiated the reboot of this project was the problem some of my friends were having with lungs/throats from smoking. Which was either caused by smoking or something unrelated.

I plan on making some of my classic "stoned off your ass" oil which contains as much thc as possible for my friends that just want to get ripped off their ass. Then I also wanted to attempt to create a medical kind of product with very little thc, purely for pain or other ailments. I wanted to attempt the medical type oil a long time ago when my grandmother got ALS. She said cannabis helped with her condition immensely but it made her feel unlike herself so she stopped smoking.

I'd just like to know people's general opinions on edibles vs smokables as a recreational high and for medical purposes. I'd also like some tips for creating an almost pure cbd infusion, I have a general idea of what I need to do but any added information would help me greatly.

Thank you for replies and I apologize if this has been covered in multiple other threads, I rarely come to the cannabis forums.

Depending on how much you eat these edibles you might be surprised of how much they make you stoned, so to speak.
Be careful!

How did you choose vegetable oil? I'm sure it would work, but I think there's a reason people often use coconut oil (or sometimes olive). Maybe something to do with length of the fat chains? Not exactly sure.

I like edibles as long as I keep the dosage moderate. Too high and it's a bit too sedative to be enjoyable, since I can't help from smoking too. Fine for a plane ride when I'm not able to smoke though it's nice.

yeah i tend to only be able to enjoy edibles i've made simply because many homemade edibles i've taken were just absolutely underwhelming.

i prefer smoking for a recreational high.

if i'm just trynna get totally blitzed i'd eat edibles maybe with some kratom but they always just end up knocking me out.

they're really hard to dose on your own.

I chose vegetable oil due to its high fat content which means the cannabinioids will be very soluble in it, I don't know what specifically about the lipids cause the cannabinioids to be more soluble but vegetable more then satisfies the needs for my purpose. I know how to make extremely potent edibles I was more curious about the process of vaporizing the thc out to have a mostly cbd product. If made right edibles can get anybody very stoned, I've tested my oil on some of my friends with high tolerances with great success.

The process of cooking the weed does seem to lessen some of its more stimulating effects due to certain cannabinioids that are more stimulating being evaporated out. From my experience it seems most people like smoking for this reason and maybe because eating some ice cream or a cookie to get stoned isn't as exciting.

Depending on how much you eat these edibles you might be surprised of how much they make you stoned, so to speak.
Be careful!

Edible cannabis can be extremely difficult to gauge the effects of when you make it yourself. It is not as though you have edible cannabis food products that have marked miligrams. It's also not like smoking, it is sort of like Vaping in that it is psychedelic and lasts a long time but you feel it more in your body when you eat herb than when you vape it.

There's a fine line between minor effects of a dose that makes you feel sleepy, or lightly stoned, versus being so stoned more than you have ever been that you feel as though you are going to pass out, and you are literally tripping on THC.

Bluelight really needs to sticky a basic edibles info post.

Edibles are actually a different drug. Before you go all random it is delta 9 thc you eat, already decarbed from THC-A. Once it passed through your liver it becomes delta 11 thc. It is smaller in physical size and passes the brain blood barrier easily. It is a stronger and more psychedelic, but your bioavailability is slightly lower with oral vs smoking. Expect a bit more intense high with longer duration.

Since every person reacts differently to each drug first time edible use should be thought out. You may be that guy, eats a cookie and has no clue how stoned he is about to get. Just have a friend who understands your on weed, in case you are the 1 in 1000 they can help you enjoy it.

You must have a functioning liver and a steady supply of amino acid to convert the thc. If you take omega 3 fatty acid supplements you should be ok. Your body will pass what cannot be converted, with some people there is a limit to how high they can get from edibles. If you are an alcoholic or heavy liver abuser you may not get as high as others.

If you wish to control your edible high and the time frame of it I suggest taking on an empty stomach and wait 45 minutes before eating. This will insure you don't wait 10 hours for food to move in your stomach. Getting high the morning after a party because you ate too much is not an experience you want. So far 10 hours is the longest I've waited and I had indigestion. Don't take more, if you felt nothing and it has been 5 hours and you didn't eat a moose beforehand, fair enough, try a stronger dose next time. If you take too little the first time just consider it a better time to be underwhelmed vs overwhelmed.

Start at 10mg or even 5mg if you don't normally use weed. The high is similar to smoking but more intense, the average 3+ hours is something to plan around. A regular joint is ~ between 10 and 30mg depending on your stuff and how you roll. After 7 years I use 40mg in edible form and still get a bit of a high. At 100mg I'm on vacation. My partner, who smokes daily but rarely edibles uses 200-300mg to get where 40 takes me. He just can't process it as well. If you are like this, I'd say don't waste money in edibles, he can eat it like it has no affect. I've met a few people who simply don't get high from edibles easily.

Also take into consideration your body can store thc in fat cells. Heavy edible use can make weight lose a surprise mild high.

Last considerations are who made your edibles. Although it has gotten better, early hayday legal edible sales included a few less than stellar companies that were selling edibles so far off their package claims they should have been called "weed flavoured". Over time in the next 3-5 years the market will stabilize and you'll always get what you pay for. Right now, avoid corporate produced edibles where possible. The more of this industry we keep from pharma corps the better.

If making your own remember after extracting your thc you should use it in either a none baked product or something that is baked at low temperatures. Heating thc delta 9 past 350 F will start to change it from delta 9 to CBN. You will make sleeper food. Not much of a high but put you to bed early. Coconut oil and chocolate work well together. Olive oil can be drizzled on top of a finished product like pizza as it comes out of the oven.

For me personally edibles are a waste of money. I. An eat around 400mg and feel nothing at all. I like the drinks tho for the taste mainly not the effect. It's great that these days we have so many options for cannabis. Back n the day it was just regular brick smoke only.