• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tinnitus from phenibut/kratom use

sneakerpimp

Greenlighter
I have been using/abusing phenibut for almost a year now at varying amounts from 600mg to 5g. It was amazing at first, unlike any drug I have ever taken. I started using kratom at large amounts of 10g to 30g for about 3-4 months. I started noticing slight tinnitus a few months ago. It's a very slight buzzing/ringing mostly noticeable at night when I'm lying down(ear pressed against pillow). In the last month I've had bouts of heavy drinking and this made the ringing worse a few days after before returning to baseline. It's really starting to worry me because I cant enjoy the quiet anymore. I have always stayed away from loud noises in the past, so it's not noise damage.

Is it permanent? Can it be treated? I have not stopped taking the phenibut. If I taper down to a certain amount(around 1g) it gets worse and my anxiety/depression goes through the roof. I'm trying figure out how to get off the phenibut at the moment. I'm worried because I've heard benzos can cause permanent damage(not sure if this is true or not). Any help would be much appreciated. I'm 25 years old.

Last edited:
Kratom definitely causes tinnitus, for me at least. It's not permanent though, and typically go away pretty quickly after quitting. When I take a maintenence dose as I go to sleep, since it's quiet I can actually hear the ringing come on as the effects take hold. Some opioids are flat out toxic to the ear (mainly codeine and it's derivatives), but since the tinnitus isn't permanent and I've never heard of anyone losing any hearing from kratom I'm gonna go out and assume it's not one of them. I've never taken phenibut long enough to find out if that causes tinnitus as well, but I won't be surprised if it does. GHB, another gaba b agonist, caused some ringing.

There seems to be hearing loss and tinnitus in just the right ear. I still need to have the doctor check it out though to be sure. Hopefully it will improve with abstinence.

I would caution others about the dangers of using these substances together. I can't say for sure they are the only cause of this due to my past of alcoholabuse, but they seem to be the main cause.

Take a break, it'll go away more likely than not. Your litterally the first person to claim hearing loss from kratom or phenibut (or both combined), and there are several users, Pinpoint comes to mind, who used both very regularly. I've also used the combo several times, not daily however or for long periods of time, and have never lost hearing. Tinnitus maybe, but full blown hearing loss? Or permanent hearing loss? Very unlikely...

Did you use alcohol or phenibut enough to build a physical dependence? I've heard of GABA-ergic withdrawal causing tinnitus, sometimes permanent, as well as hearng loss in rare cases. Either way, just take it easy for a while and if things don't improve, get checked out and avoid the two in the future. Try not to stress yourself out, some tinnitus is very normal. Good luck :)

As far as I can recall, all opiates/opioids will eventually cause some damage (or just tinnitus) to/in the ears. Kratom is just as much of a narcotic as Hydrocodone so I would assume it would cause tinnitus as well. It's not going to be permanent or an extreme case of tinnitus but it probably would cause some temporary light tinnitus. Try listening to music on a lower volume :p

Thanks Captainkratom, man I feel better knowing that. I was worried because kratom really seems to effect the pressure in the(pops and such).

When I haven't taken enough phenibut, that's when the tennitus comes on or at night when my levels of phenibut have dissipated. I'm just now down to 1 g.

I took .5 mg of Klonopin for the first time last night, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll try a 1 mg tonight, I'm just not sure about dosing to prevent withdrawal and help sleep with Klonopin.

For the longer term I'm going to see if I can get a prescription for Gabapentin or something else that isn't a benzo.

Does this seem like a good strategy?

Although I don't realy have any doubts that kratom is a contributor, as I've experienced this first hand, it sounds like the phenibut withdrawal is also big culprit as well going on what info you l've provided. Klonopin may work on GABA like phenibut, but it's a GABA A agonist unlike phenibut's action on GABA B so you shouldn't expect a 1 for 1 crossover. If your dependent on phenibut and wanna kick it, expect to suffer a few nights. Phenibut withdrawal lasts about 5-7 days, so it's not nearly as bad as benzo withdrawal which lingers around forever.

I'd take a mg or two of klonopin when the goin' gets tough, and just power through the phenibut withdrawal. Gabapentin also causes a pretty nasty dependence, but it seems that people can take this stuff for months at a time with no withdrawal. I'm not sure if this has any effects on hearing when used for long periods of times, but this is what I use when kicking opioids, and when used for up to three weeks at a time I've yet to experience this. But then again I've never really tried to pinpoint any tinnitus. Anyways, whether you plan on using it for recreation or anxiety, I've always preffered gabapentin over benzos and phenibut for both. Tolerance is a bitch with this one though.

I haven't seen anything, but then again there's not much being funded for kratom research. I've heard several anecdotes regarding tinnitus, but never actual hearing loss... until a few days ago that is. This thread below was posted in DC regarding muffled hearing when using kratom, but It doesn't sound like it's permanent in his case.

With that said most (if not all) opiates and opioids are toxic to the ear to certain individuals and this has been documented time and time again. Instead of re-posting the same post that I made regarding opioids and hearing loss, go ahead and read my post in the thread I'm linking if your interested. I sourced about 4 or 5 studies on the topic. (None regarding kratom though)

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/743701-Cons-of-opioids-the-hearing-problem

I get major sensitivity when I do kratom, but it kind of seems like the opposite of muffling. I have to turn down TV volume and ask people to talk more quietly. It goes away when the high goes away. I never get tinnitus.

Were all different, even in regards to opiates not everyone develops hearing loss. Kratom very well may harmless to the ear, but it doesn't hurt to be open to the possibility that kratom, like opioids, may be ototoxic to certain subset of people. Hearing loss associated with kratom is news to me as well, never experienced it nor heard of it until recently. The ringing is something I've seen mentioned several times however.

Last edited:
I'm down to 100 to 0 mg of phenibut. Ringing continues with abstinence. Kratom has been discontinue for 2 1/2 weeks and does not seem to have any effect on tinnitus. Phenibut does effect tinnitus and sleep.

Yeah phenibut aught to be regulated (I didn't say render it illegal, but for the time being that might be a good idea).

Thanks for letting me jump in here. New to BL so if I make any mistakes please let me know. I've been on methadone for severe post op pain for 7 months now with a few of the typical opioid side effects but started taking Kratom/Phenibut combo a little over a week ago. Haven't had it for two nights and I've woken up the past two nights with a loud ringing in my ears.
I've wondered about tapering off of Methadone with the help of gabapentin as it has helped with anxiety in the past. I know stopping methadone will be a challenge since I've done that too. Any thoughts on whether taking gabapentin will help tinnitus while still in methadone?
This is the first I've heard of these possible interactions.