View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Timothy Leary

Petersko

Bluelighter
Recently I decided to leave the world of psychedelics behind. My psychedelic use was basically zero.
I had, however, never taken a large dose of LSD. So I prepared for a final trip.
This isn't a trip report, so I'll spare the details, except to say that I have never experienced anything like it. Ego loss, regression, an period of perfect peace and silence, a blinding insight into human nature... and enough to think about that it took me two months to go through it all properly. It was the finest drug experience of my life. I experienced clarity. Some of you will understand what I mean, some won't.
Two months after the event, I bought a copy of "Your Brain Is God" - by Timothy Leary. In it, he put words to my entire experience.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
Some people will say that LSD in large doses is irresponsible or pointless. Perhaps for them it would be.
Anybody else know of any psychedlic handbooks worth reading?

Timothy Leary wrote another book... "The Psychedelic Experience: A book based on The Tibetan Book of the Dead"... which in my opinion is excellent, it goes into great details about psychedlics, esp. acid... another book by the same name was written by a guy named Masters and some other women, it to is really good, it gives a lot of details and even has some experiences, mostly in the clinical sense... both books can be found on Amazon.com...

While I know a "hit" means little, could you tell us if you were taking relatively strong or weak "hits", and how many you took? thanks

I have no real way of knowing exactly how many micrograms were on each tab, only that relative to the other tabs I've taken in the past (such as the "Easter Island" variety from last year) these were fairly strong.
I took 7 to start, and 3 more an hour in.
I didn't post the amount earlier because, as I said, this isn't a trip report. Also, some people will say, "That's not a strong dose!" and some will say, "That's way too much! How irresponsible!"
I know how I react to large and small doses of psychedelics. I know that I'm emotionally and mentally prepared for almost any eventuality. I know that paranoia and fear do not accompany me into such experiences. I'm stable.
Know your limits. Mine allowed me to experience something beyond wonderful.

hmmmm....
the varieties of psychedelic experience//masters & houston
almost anything by stan grof...
programming and metaprogramming in the human biocomputer//john lilly
the joyous cosmology//alan watts
ummm, aldous huxley's final novel _island_ has some excellent stuff on a psycedelically-tolerant society (and a nice trip sequence near the finale)
& check out the reading lists & links & stuff at places like:
www.promind.com
www.erowid.org
www.psychedelic-library.org
www.csp.org
www.lycaeum.org
www.thefane.org
www.spiritplants.com
www.entheogen.com
and so forth...

DUNE by Frank Herbert. Yeah its a science fiction novel but it is based upon the rebellion of the lsd culutre of the 60s and early 70s.

is that what Dune is really about? I always suspected as much, but was not sure that that was what herbert actually had in mind when he wrote it.

Dune was about a LOT of things, religion, politics, economics, manipulation, human tendency to desire a "messiah", oil, self-fulfilling prophecy, and yes, it was about drugs.
As far as good books to read, hell there are so many. One you might find interesting is a book by Robert Powell called Dialogues on Reality. No it isn't about drugs, but it is definitely about transcendant experience.

is that what Dune is really about? I always suspected as much, but was not sure that that was what herbert actually had in mind when he wrote it.
Dune was about a LOT of things, religion, politics, economics, manipulation, human tendency to desire a "messiah", oil, self-fulfilling prophecy, and yes, it was about drugs.
In a term paper I did on Frank Herbert's writing style I had to read alot of interviews with him and such. In one he said that the "Freemen" of Dunce reflected his view of the lsd subculture of his time. Obviously, "the spice" as mentioned in the novel, reflects some super-psychoactive-transendental awakening-type of chemical that gives one a mental power unattainable otherwise. The many other facets that Dune was about are represented other ways.
Other books Id recommend are Sphere my Michael Chricton (the book goes into all about how there are ways of unlocking areas of the mind so that one can manipulate one's environment telekenetically). Also Technogenisis is a good novel to read about future possibilities of telepathy and universal consciousnesses.

~1,000 mcgs = understanding. havent felt the need to dose since, going on 8 years now.
fictionwise, read somewhere that a fair bit of Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow" was writ whilst coming down off high dose journeys on Tim Leary's beach. imnsho, a book all should read/suffer/rejoice through, a worthwhile psychedelic experience in and of itself.
The John Lilly stuff as mentioned above, is fairly out there. there's always the "Illuminatus Trilogy" by R.A.Wilson, and of course, "Infinite Jest" by D.F. Wallace (best english language book of all time)
on the science end, Rupert Sheldrake's Morphogenic Field theories are wild (New Science of Life, The Presence of the Past) and i found Hofstader's "Godel, Escher, Bach" to be rather enlightening.

Ah... Gravity's Rainbow.
The single most difficult reading experience of my life. I'm very glad I read it, and that I took the time to understand a lot of it, but I won't pretend I understood all of it. I'll likely never read it again.

I just finished "Cleansing the Doors of Perception" by Houston Smith, and I was very impressed with it. Mr. Smith seemed to have come to almost all the same conclusions as I, so perhaps I am biased, but nevertheless it is full of well-presented and provocative theories. In short: highly recommended.
And of course, PIHKAL and TIHKAL are indispensable!

great another good book for me to read.. keep those coming.. I am currently reading a really dry book, someone say NIDA Reserach?
Peteresko - I am reminded of acid and some of my 'home' trips by your words. I hope you have a great life without psychedelics.
[ 20 September 2002: Message edited by: karma_is ]

Although, personally I have mixed feelings regarding Leary, there are some things by him I feel are genuinley of intest.
First of all, a little short film entitled: "How to Operate Your Brain" exsists out there for our benefit.
It's a short piece designed to visually stimulate you, while at the same time it bombards you with information and ideas from the mouth of Leary himself. In doing so it hopes perhaps for an end result, which will be an actual impact on the very functions of your thought process, and thus, a reprogramming your brain. It exsists as an avant-garde piece of video art, and while it's difficult to tell if it actually is anything more than Leary's sayings set to visual and audio noise, it sure is cool to watch on acid...
Also...
I must whole-heartedly reccomend "The Psychedelic Experience: A book based on The Tibetan Book of the Dead".
It's an excellent resource that one could use as a semblance of a "guide" for any psychedelic experience. It's real value however is in introducing some basic principles echoed in the Tibetan Book of the Dead to readers and psychonauts alike. Take everything by Leary with a grain of salt and skepticism, but the central idea which is the catalyst for this work remains unadultered, and of benefit to the reader...

My favourite drug related essay is Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley. Its about mescaline, not LSD, but it is an amazing read. He has a real way with words

Karmia_is said:
"I hope you have a great life without psychedelics."
Already is. And I'm looking into types of meditation that will enable me to achieve parts of that experience without the drug.

any one know any "story" books about psychelic drugs? im having trouble finding any (i still love the kind of books that are posted, but i wanna find another fear and loathing(well that realy didnt have a story per se but it still rocked))

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson, check your local science fiction section for this.