• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Time to quit heroin (cold turkey)

Craig2016

Greenlighter
Hi I've been a IV heroin addict for years on and off . I was clean off heroin and stable on a methadone script for 18 months but as I was on a few ml towards the end I started using again a few months ago . I've got a gf and 2 kids a decent paid job and a car I've wanted for a long time (got my ford Mondeo 2.2tdci titanium x sport on finance 6 months ago . I've always loved modified cars)

And and coming close to loosing everything if I keep using so my gf and kids are going to her friends next week for a few days as her friend is getting married so I plan on getting off the gear and going cold turkey . Just wondering if there is anything I can get over the counter to help me through it ? I'm determined to do this and get my life back on track

Nice car.....so alot of people will probably chime in and recommend the same thing....loperamide for some of the GI effects, ibuprofen....other than that as far as OTC there are not alot of options....I have gone cold turkey many times and usually just want family/friends support, a safe place to rest, and PLENTY of distractions....watch movies....go for a walk/bike ride....if you can bear it exercise... no one will tell you it is easy there isn't really a magic solution.

the worst part of withdrawals for me is the insomnia - its so cruel, it won't even let you take a few hours off.
so yeah i'd focus on that, benzo's are good in that respect (they're also good for cramps and akathisia) but use sparingly as you'll just end up swapping one addiction for another.
you may experience a certain 'looseness of bowels' so invest in an anti-diarreah medication, immodium is good but it contains loperamide which is a sort of opiate, so i'm not sure if you should take that if you're trying to get off opiates.
buscopan or something for cramps is also good.

yeah and distractions distractions, i got through a couple of my wds by playing playstation games but if thats not your thing maybe deff get a netflix account or something? or just buy a shitload of films you've always been meaning to watch. exercise does help but i can never really push myself to do it personally - and keep your fluids up but avoid alcohol, it seems like a good idea a first but there is nothing to compare the pain of a hangover whilst you're withdrawing.

good luck man!

Last edited:
Thanks, most people that I know from heroin use are shocked that it's my car as smackheads don't normally have nice cars ECT and last time they saw me I was driving a old banger lol. Yeah I've done a couple of cold turkey's in jail and it was hell but saying that it was over 10 years ago and the gear was a lot stronger than it it now as the quality is really poor now where I am in the UK it takes a good couple of bags to get a bit of a nod on now so I would think the cold turkey won't be as bad due to the gear being so weak . That's what I'm hoping anyway lol. I do about 3 £10 bags a day at the minute

Congrats man. Cold turkey heroin withdrawl is hard, but it's not impossible , and it's definetly not unbearable. I believe most of it ks mental, as I can remember getting locked up and detoxing from heroin and remembering that is was not so bad as my mind was focused on being so homesick...point is, you can do it if that's what you want mentally , if you have a shred of doubt you will be in trouble. I have faith in you as I had done it myself, and you and me are no different from eachother at the addict aspect. Good luck bro

You might want to take a few days off work if possible in order to cold turkey at home. If you decide to use loperamide (over the counter anti diarrhea medication) don't over-do it. Can you get your doctor to prescribe clonidine? It can help with many withdrawal symptoms. Most important, stay away from triggers, the people and situations which led you to relapse. Delete those contacts so you won't be tempted to use, especially when you're alone and the family is away. You will not regret your decision to get clean- wish you the best!

Try to get gabbapentin (not sure if that's how you spell it) but it seriously helps with everything, the first two days, I only had a little discomfort and the 3rd day I started throwing up and getting cramps but all you need for that is Imodium and gravol, now the worst part not being able to sleep, so your gonna need something like adavan or some kind of benzo or sleeping pill, your going to need a prescription for most of this stuff but if you go to the doctors and tell them you are trying to stop using they will usually give you what you need to help... So from them you will need the gabbapentin and some kind of STRONG sleeping pill or some kind of benzo, then from the pharmacy you'll need the gravol and Imodium, these things will help a lot, otherwise your going to be begging a doctor or someone yo kill you, honestly more then one person has told me if they could have gotten put to sleep like a dog or go through those withdrawals they would have gotten put to sleep (I have also felt that way haha) withdrawal is one of the worst things to go through in life, but you can do it, it won't kill you and you'll be happy in the long run it def try those things the make it so much easier to cope with or maybe try get back on the methadone or try to get suboxone, anything is worth a try because chance are after all that pain and suffering your gonna call up your dealer to make it stop if you don't have something to help, unless you make sure you have no access to money or a dealer (delete his number and send all the money and bank cards/credit cards with you wife when she leaves)

Imodium is an opioid receptor agonist, it prevents severe diarrhea by continuing to signal opiod receptors in you body to keep working, however it does not cross blood-brain barriers into your brain or spinal column, so it doesn't cause a high or relieve pain, it is sort of like suboxone but not as strong