• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tianeptine

Does anybody know the pharmacology of this med? I've just read quite a bit.

theoretically, it would pose a risk of SS issue to the tricyclic properties, correct?

Any idea on half life?
How does it mix with others? Especially tryptamines and phenethylamines due to serotonergic action.

Any info is much appreciated.

We prefer SSRIs and SNRIs in the U.S. Tianeptine is a mu-opioid agonist, which makes it "controversial" for depression treatment. 8)

Before we knew how it worked, it was assumed to be an SSRE, or Selective Serotonin Reuptake Enhancer. Meaning it enhances the reuptake of serotonin from the synapse, the opposite of what SSRIs do. That goes against the established dogma that depression is caused by lack of available serotonin. Or something to that effect.

I used tianeptine extensively during benzo withdrawal and found it very helpful for getting my moods out of the doldrums. Some people are abusing it in enormous amounts, but that seems ill-advised since it is hepatotoxic in large doses...or sometimes normal ones. (Which is one reason its cousin amineptine was removed from the market). It's also highly inconvenient to dose since it's so short-acting.

The typical dose of the sodium is 12.5mg 3x per day, but I prefer to take 34mg of the sulfate in the morning followed by 15mg of the sodium in the afternoon and a booster of the sulfate again in the evening (27mg). The sulfate version lasts longer and has a smoother comedown, eliminating the need to redose constantly. But the sodium is more energizing and better for workouts and getting things done. There are no major interactions with other drugs that I'm aware of, as it's not a typical antidepressant but an opiate.

If you're looking for an opiate high, tianeptine is a poor candidate. It's an effective mood brightener if you have depression though.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I know about its mu properties, but is it a confirmed SSRE?

I currently use kratom as an opioid substitute, along with bupropion and clonazepam (Rx).
I'm not looking for a high pe se. More looking for pain management and mood enhancement without having to beg a doctor as its difficult these days to obtain chronic pain management in the US.

my concern is that I enjoy using tryptamines and phenethylamines but do not want to risk a negative reaction. Once I find a med that works, I tend to create a daily regimen fairly quickly. This happened with heroin 10 years ago...

I've always thought tramadol was overlooked as a possible anti depressant due to its SNRI and mu properties.

Perhaps I will try tianeptine.

Anyone who says this isn't an abusable opoid is crazy

Agreed. I found the sodium version HIGHLY abusable.

Though I think, for some people, Tianeptine is not their cup of tea. Some argue it's not quite opioid enough or has too much undesirable effects to actually be worth abusing. I guess we all react differently, so I suppose some people could honestly feel it's not "abusable" or rather not worth abusing.

Also, there are those who never exceed the therapeutic level. They would not be aware first hand of it's abusability.

I tried a recreational dose and really didn't like it, but then again I get nothing from opiates... which to me it did feel like.

Interestingly it had zero effect on depression/anxiety for me at lower doses.