View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Throat tensing up (?) on psychedelics

Alisarin

Greenlighter
Every time I trip on any psychedelic, it feels like something gets caught in my throat. Like I have a lump in my throat I can't swallow down, or a bunch of hairs that aren't actually there. I think it's the throat muscles tightening up, but I'm not sure. Sometimes this thing makes me cough, and it always makes me swallow tons of air when I keep clearing my throat and trying to swallow it down, leading to mild to moderate stomach discomfort. It happens most noticeably on LSD (and the least on 4-aco-DMT) and has happened every time since my very first acid trip - except One time when I managed to keep it at bay by sucking on a lollipop from the start of the trip. It doesn't even have to be a lot of the stuff - I've started microdosing LSD today and the throat bullshit is noticeable even at this low dose. It goes away whenever I'm "activating" my mouth somehow, either by eating, or smoking something, etc. but as soon as I stop it returns right away just as it was before. Anyone else experience something similar to this? I've learned to live with it when it happens and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but it's still a thing that happens, and if it is possible to more reliably get rid of it I'd love to hear it.

maybe you always have a neck tension thing, and it is highlighted by psychs.

there are neck loosening and relaxing exercises you can do. try some of that a few minutes each day for a week prior to your next foray,

I sometimes had a similar feeling when coming up on a trip, like something was stuck in my throat but when I tried to drink or eat something it went through without a problem. I always thought it was simply anxiety. Just concentrating on a slow and relaxing breathing pattern always seemed to do the trick for me and once I stopped worrying so much about the feeling it disappeared quickly.

Yeah, that I'm tense there from the start sounds sensible, though it's been like this for a long time now. I had never felt it prior to my first acid trip, but after that I could feel it all the time even when I wasn't tripping. There wasn't physically anything there but it was terribly bothersome and caused me a lot of stress. I'm over it now and while I still feel it sometimes even while sober, it doesn't bother me at all and I don't feel it nearly as often as I used to. Still yeah, it returns full force when under the influence. I'll try magnesium supplements and some exercises before my next trip and we'll see how it goes. I often get really tense in my shoulder and around that area too, as well as in my lower back, and it sounds likely that it's always there and that it's simply brought out stronger by the psychs