• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Thoughts on public drug discourse?

Ramennoodles

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, i am new to this site, hope you're all well! :)

I think Bluelight is a great alternative to drugs harm reduction in comparison to public drugs discourse. What is everyones thoughts on how the media choses to represent drug use (drugs studies/public discourse/treatment)? and do you guys prefer to keep closed off from public drug discourse?

all the best!

Hi Ramennoodles, welcome to the site!

Public drugs discourse, if we are looking at the last century, has generally been quite harmful to drug users, but I think that in many places discourse is starting to become more informed and empathetic and less hysterical, so it could - at least in some parts of the world and to some extent - eventually become a boon to drug users instead of a hindrance. There has certainly been a lot of change even during the less-than-a-decade that I have been following the topic.

PS: the thread has been moved from Drugs in the Media to Drug Culture, as Drugs in the Media is strictly for discussing published media articles (and videos).

I’ll never forget watching that Lisa Ling documentary on MDMA which somewhat recent and thinking to myself “the times are a changing..”

Not even a decade earlier a documentary like that would have completely tanked her career, but nowadays not only can she do a documentary piece on it in a positive light but she even admits to her own past use as well!

That doc was huge. It showed that someone who is highly respected and well off can have a history with drugs and not be a hopeless junkie.

I mean I’ve had conversations about DMT with devout Christians where I left them curious for more.. I’ve watched people who bashed on stoners finally take that first drag of a joint..

I think we’re heading towards something big.

-GC