• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

THOC is it really "psychedelic" as they say it is?

no well if u eat enough but thcp is where its at man hhc hhc0 and hhcp is amazing combo

Ok there seems to be a little misinformation going on here.

First off "THCO" is referring to THC-O-Acetate or O-Acetyl-tetr etrahydrocannabinol. It's a pretty terrible name because it's not designating where the double bond is. There are technically 6 different THCOs, d8, d9, d10, d6a10a, d6, and d7.

The vast majority of THCO is going to be delta 8 THCO, because d8 is so plentiful and cheap and acetylating it allows it to be sold anywhere in the US, even the states that have banned d8.

The 2nd most common THCO you're likely to run into is d9 THCO, but this is kinda rare. For one, most people aren't acetylating their raw d9 distillate because if they deriving it from cannabis/marijuana, then it's not covered under the farm bill and is federally illegal everywhere. While you can make d9 from cbd, it's very difficult to produce just that one double bond isomer.

I've heard that d9-THCO is more potent and psychedelic, but as someone who's made probably 1000kg of d8-THCO, I think that claim is 100% hype.

That's coming from plenty of first hand experience, plus the general knowledge that all of these acetylated cannabinoids are prodrugs to their parent compound ie d8 THCO likely hydrolyzed to d8 THC. Hence, all of these acetylated compounds are weaker by weight. D8-THCO is weaker than D8-THC. There's no logical explanation that would suggest d9 THCO doesnt follow the same trend. Some people like to say that the acetate group possibly has a better bioavailability than its hydroxylated counterpart but afaik there is no proven data to suggest that.

Lastly, while it's not proven beyond a doubt, there is logical reason to believe that smoking or vaping any of these THCO products could lead to formation of ketene, which is pretty toxic. Just because someone can put something in a vape cart, doesn't mean. It should be vaped.
Excellent post!!! Thank you 😌.

In my opinion, I would surmise that it’s at least plausible THC-O from D-8 is more bioavailable, though again, this is far from proven. I do believe it’s well noted that it takes longer to hit because of the breakdown of the OA. Here’s what I think is going on.

Once consumed, especially via multiple vape hits, because it’s not immediately available, due to the supposed higher bioavailability of THC-O, it collects with the vape hits. Then, the body breaks it down and when that happens, a cascade of available Delta-8 hits the system rapidly. Because of this, THCO seems to hit harder (the difference between throwing 5 darts say 3 minutes apart versus throwing 5 darts all at once…just an analogy lol). Since Delta-8 starts clearing the system (breaking down into small amounts of 11-hydroxy-THC, only about 10% that of edibles, and non-active COOH) after about 30 mins, it quickly peaks and then you ride out the moderate buzz for 2-3 hours. So 30 minutes in, you’ve either hit the peak going up a ramp or the peak is starting to fade, metabolism depending. Given THC-O has that delay, your body isn’t breaking down the Delta-8 at that point, but your body is getting hit with a larger dose of Delta-8 due to supposed higher bioavailability. Even at lower doses, Delta-8 can be mildly sedating. It’s more *sedating* than Delta-9 IMHO, even though it produces about 50% less mental high, and most say it’s more of a body high, with the head high, while still having significance, is more secondary.

At the least, thus *might* be why people say THC-O is more sedating! As for the trippy part, I think some people associate a strong body euphoria as having mild psychedelic properties, because you can physically feel the difference (I.e. feeling of motion when sitting still, tilting, falling into the couch softness/couch lock lol). This might also account for its trippy designation, aside from the longer last effects/high. Again, that’s just my theory lol.

While I do vape classic Delta-8 from a premium provider (ouch, my wallet lol), I would never ever touch a THC-O vape! IMHO, it’s just not safe (but to each their own). I have had gummies that included THC-O in them before and definitely noticed the stronger sedation factor. It made me a bit zombie like, affected my balance more, and I must admit it gave a tinge of the *corner of my eye shadow* feeling to it lol. I was still generally clear minded just like Delta-8 gummies though 😂.

I think my issue with THC-O is that it does not occur in nature. With Delta-8, it naturally occurs at about 0.6% in several strains that produce small amounts of Delta-8. HHC occurs naturally in even smaller quantities and less strains. So with Delta-8 and HHC, people have been consuming very small amounts of it for centuries. You cannot say the same for THC-O. Some of the most reputable Delta-8/Delta-9/HHC companies do not carry THC-O, but there’s about 4 or 5 companies out there that do with a good reputation.

My harm reduction message is that if you are going to vape THC-O, make sure you do your research. You will pay more for reputable companies, but the testing and quality at least provide some sense of protection.

Last edited:
Most THC-O is D8. There is D9 being sold now. They are quite different.

Yeah, this exactly and this is why I called THC-O a lie earlier in the thread. Most THC-O is D8 derived and does basically nothing as far as I can tell. it's the D9 THC-O that's supposedly super strong but manufactures don't differentiate, probably on purpose. If you're in a state where weed is still illegal like I am, the THC-O you get is going to be D8 and is a waste of money. You'd be better off with regular Delta 8. Even the HHC I get is stronger than the THC-O i've had.

Yeah, this exactly and this is why I called THC-O a lie earlier in the thread. Most THC-O is D8 derived and does basically nothing as far as I can tell. it's the D9 THC-O that's supposedly super strong but manufactures don't differentiate, probably on purpose. If you're in a state where weed is still illegal like I am, the THC-O you get is going to be D8 and is a waste of money. You'd be better off with regular Delta 8. Even the HHC I get is stronger than the THC-O i've had.
It's probably not"super strong". Although I have a distillate, so I couldn't rate strength well since distillates are strong I guess.
But, it feels like pot (maybe even a little more "psychedelic" (cough, cough)), it's plenty strong enough, and you can buy it online. Who wouldn't like that?
That tolerance thing is a fatal error though. And who knows what's in it?
Flower is the way to go.

Is this the kind of stuff they'd sell in weed-legal states like NY?

Cause the places I go usually just have all sorts of different types of regular weed, indica, sativa, mixes, sometimes hash or shatter, edibles, CBD and Delta 8 products which I have never used, but I've never seen any of this THC-O stuff advertised anywhere.

Honestly, I don't think so. I tried it, and it didn't really even affect me much. Barely, if at all. Extremely weak and borderline bunk IME.