• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

There's something (potentially dangerous) about molly

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
"Have you heard of molly?" the girl next to me asked. She was swaying from side to side, bobbing her head to the bass vibrating throughout the sold-out venue.

The room around us was buzzing with anticipation. Music was blasting. People were dancing and laughing and taking pictures. There was less than an hour until showtime, and I was about to see one of my favorite artists, so I was feeling pretty good. The girl next to me, Jessica, was obviously feeling better.

I turned to my fellow concertgoers, watching as they met Jessica's eyes, nodding their heads knowingly. Of course they had heard of molly.

Turns out, molly is a pretty popular lady these days.

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, molly is the powder or crystal form of MDMA -- or 3, 4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine, a chemical drug most commonly known for its use in the pressed pill Ecstasy.

Unlike Ecstasy, which has a reputation for being laced with everything from caffeine to methamphetamine, molly -- a name shortened from "molecule" -- is thought of as "pure" MDMA.

The DEA labels it an illegal Schedule 1 controlled substance, considered to have a high potential for abuse and no accepted use in medical treatment.

Molly is abundant at music festivals -- if you know where to look. The third and final day of New York's Electric Zoo music festival was canceled Sunday after two concert-goers died and at least four others were hospitalized due to what is believed to be MDMA-related causes, police said; it is unclear whether the drug was used in Ecstasy pills or in its "pure" form of molly.

Last year, at Miami's Ultra Music Festival, fliers littered the landscape mentioning her name like missing child posters: "Have you seen molly?" And when Madonna took to the stage to introduce an artist, the pop star asked the audience: "How many people in this crowd have seen molly?" A slew of cheers answered, though Madonna later said she'd been referring to a song, not to an illegal drug.

Hip-hop artists claim they know her -- she's casually mentioned by 2 Chainz in the Nicki Minaj track "Beez In the Trap," by Childish Gambino in his song "Unnecessary," by Kanye West in "Mercy," by Danny Brown in "Die Like a Rockstar." Even Miley Cyrus is familiar, although the line "We like to party, dancing with molly" was bleeped out in her most recent performance of "We Can't Stop" on the MTV Video Music Awards.

It seems the drug is on the minds of many. But questions about who -- or what -- molly really is remain.

cont at
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/02/health/electric-zoo-molly-mdma/

I saw a segment on this shit on CNN yesterday. Erin Burnett acting like she'd never heard of MDMA and how it was this new scourge that was tearing into America's virginal psyche. I don't believe she's really never heard of MDMA, but her guest, a rep from the recovery industry, didn't help matters much by condemning the music industry for glorification. As usual, not a word about harm reduction anywhere.

TV news is such a great place to spread our HR message, yet where are we? I'm not sure who I'm addressing, but the recovery and law enforcement industries are the go-to experts the media turns to, when we all know that abstinence works for only very few people. The public needs to hear about testing kits and proper hydration and PM(M)A and etc, and I'm not sure the media has anybody in its rolodex to tell them these things.

I mean how the fuck is the recovery industry at all relevant here? They might as well have interviewed a Bigfoot expert, or an Egyptologist.

I mean how the fuck is the recovery industry at all relevant here? They might as well have interviewed a Bigfoot expert, or an Egyptologist.

I know right, who needs rehab for MDMA?
I don't understand all the new hype either. My prime MDMA years were in the 90's. So Miley Cyrus sings about something and that makes it newsworthy?

Wouldn't be surprised if these people are actually taking MDMA and dying, but that doesn't make MDMA the cause of death.
Most of these idiots take a stupid dose then go get drunk and jump around for hours without allowing their body to rest or cool down.

I once went to a hard rock show at a small venue (3k-5k people). Having drank a couple high alc content beers over the course of the day and drank little water, halfway through the performance I could barely keep my arms up because I was shaking and exhausted/dehydrated. By the time it was done my heart was hurting and pumping out of my chest warning me not to do that again.
If I had done MDMA I probably would have died, it's not a drug to fuck about with.
People overestimate their body and how much it can endure, then fill themselves up with drugs and expect themselves to be ok.

I don't understand all the new hype either. My prime MDMA years were in the 90's. So Miley Cyrus sings about something and that makes it newsworthy?

People are just shocked by the fact that Miley Cyrus used to be a Disney star, and now she's singing about drugs.

People are just shocked by the fact that Miley Cyrus used to be a Disney star, and now she's singing about drugs.

that's not shocking to me. Lindsey Lohan was arguably a bigger Disney star then her. and we see what happened there.

madonna sucks so does miley cyrus. i cant stand when artists just hop on the next cool bandwagon...it reminds me of willie nelson in half baked where hes saying back in the day they wernt smoking weed bc its the thing to do, they were doing it because it got you high! now its just like its the cool thing to do bc its "edgy" lmao....MDMA is by far the least edgy drug up there with weed and shrooms. now if they were like i just shot a massive speedball into my hand! that might be edgy lol

I have some friends that do "molly", quotes signifying questionable purity, everyday. They steal for it and have harmed themselves from such insane usage. I know it's not a typically addicting drug but some people have problems with it.

I have some friends that do "molly", quotes signifying questionable purity, everyday. They steal for it and have harmed themselves from such insane usage. I know it's not a typically addicting drug but some people have problems with it.

I've heard about that happening with methylone but not MDMA. MDMA isn't really something you can use every day because by the 4th or 5th day nothing would be happening.

^ Yeah, if you wanted to do it every day, you would have to increase the dose so much that by the 5th day, you would probably need a gram or more just to feel anything.
It seems impossible for someone to do it every day.

Oh ya, powder is the way to go. You can't step on powder. It's always 100% MDM HCl 8) LMAO This article's fucking retarded. Wow the misinformation is incredible!

I'd say my two least favorite words of the year are "molly" and "EDM." I like that they mentioned that MDMA is often misrepresented as MDPV, methylone, etc... I hope this whole "softening attitude" towards drugs the article mentioned is taken in a constructive light - time for a more effective discourse regarding harm reduction than "don't take it - it's made in greasy labs..."

Indeed they do take crazy high doses, which led to one of my friends stealing a couple thousand usd from a weed dealer to support his habit. But the product they use is probably cut with methylone.

^ Yeah, if you wanted to do it every day, you would have to increase the dose so much that by the 5th day, you would probably need a gram or more just to feel anything.
It seems impossible for someone to do it every day.

I think the way this works is that the serotonin receptors get used up faster than they can be regenerated. Somebody please tell me if I'm correct about this.

Hopefully I'll know for sure soon, as I think I'm off to pharmacy school within a year (crossing my fingers).

I think the way this works is that the serotonin receptors get used up faster than they can be regenerated. Somebody please tell me if I'm correct about this.

Hopefully I'll know for sure soon, as I think I'm off to pharmacy school within a year (crossing my fingers).

Actually, I think you must be correct. For LSD, taking more would work, but for MDMA, it probably wouldn't even do anything after a few days.

Thinking of you in pharmacy school scares me, numbers! 8o=D