• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids There is silicon dioxide in Amide oxycodone tablets...

puffj

Bluelighter
Unless I am horribly mistaken (which I hope), the oxycodone instant releases made by Amide/Actavis (scored A/215) contain Silicon Dioxide. So anyone who has been snorting the A/215 oxycodone's has exposed their lungs to silicon dioxide, and is at risk for silicosis.

I've checked the ingrediants in these pills, but maybe I'm wrong. If you've been snorting these pills for 3 months, are you likely to develop silicosis and the cancer and etc that is related to silicon dioxide inhalation?

OXYCODONE HYDROCHLORIDEtablet
[Actavis Totowa LLC]

The tablets contain the following inactive ingredients: Corn starch, D&C Yellow #10 Aluminum Lake (15 mg tablet), FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake (15 mg and 30 mg tablets), lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide, sodium starch glycolate, and stearic acid.
The 15 mg and 30 mg tablets contain the equivalent of 13.5 mg and 27.0 mg, respectively, of oxycodone free base.
From http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=9951

You are correct about the the pills containing silicon dioxide.

Is there not enormous scare over snorting pills with silicon dioxide due to the severe health risks?

This is the first I've heard of it. I would imagine that if there were severe health risks someone would have posted about it, and I see hardly any information on google about silicosis caused by snorting oxycodone.

I would imagine the amount of silicon dioxide in an oxy pill is very small. Also, when you snort a pill only a small amount of it actually gets in your lungs.

Is this the same stuff that had many people scared about snorting Opana ER's? I'm pretty sure it is and I have a way around it that might work for the oxycodone pills.

Making a nasal spray, mixing with water then using a nasal dropper, would mean that the particles were not airborne and you would still get all of the drug absorbed. That way hopefully they would be suspended in water and just go down the throat in the drip. I hope someone with more knowledge could chime in and verify this.

This procedure will not work with Opana apparently because they gel in water although I would like to know if anyone knew a way around it. Also these partials are probably not good for ones nose even if they are suspended in water. Thanks again big pharma, we so love you.

Last edited:
No one thinks this is a big deal? Everyone has been freaking out over the silicon dioxide in opana, but this doesn't scare anyone?

From the inactive's thread-

These pills also contain silicon dioxide...
  • Adderall IR
  • Atarax
  • Benedryl
  • Catapres
  • Cyclizine
  • Dalmane
  • Dexedrine XR
  • Dilaudid (ethex brand 2mg, 4mg 8mg)
  • Duragesic Patches
  • Methadose
  • Opana ER (in silicified microcrystalline cellulose)
  • Percocet
  • Stablon
  • Xanax (IR + ER)

Hopefully people won't be snorting most of these but I wanted to be comprehensive.

If we can get more information on all of this, I'd love to turn this into a more comprehensive exposition of this potential harm. Thanks puff for creating this thread!

No one thinks this is a big deal? Everyone has been freaking out over the silicon dioxide in opana, but this doesn't scare anyone?

Fuck yeah i think it's a big deal, my script is always for amide 15's and i snort 90 percent of them.. been doing this for over half a year now, what should i expect? am i gonna die?

Hm. I've developed Asthma at a late age (21yo.. well what I assume is a late age because everyone I know of has developed it much younger) after snorting pills for years.. I've had a LOT of lung problems since. I've snorted probably thousands of these pills.. and shot them as well.

Wouldn't the bigger danger be IV use of these pills, as with talc / talcosis? I could be wrong, hence the question mark.

@Blueberry, look up symptoms for silicosis and try to figure out A, if you have an symptoms, and B, if symptoms set in before or after developing silicosis. What i mean is look up and figure out if its like aids where the absence of symptoms isn't the absence of aids, or if you would develop symptoms before danger is present.

@BaybeX - I'd tell a doctor what you've done. What if its not asthma, but they didn't bother doing a comprehensive diagnosis since they didn't see a reason for doing so?

I think the risk of silicosis from Opana ER is from silicified microcrystalline cellulose...?

I've spoken to a good friend of mine, who is currently getting his Ph.D in quantum physics, and he's said there is little to no risk of silicosis from the silicon dioxide in any tablets.

1. With all the pills that contain sillicon dioxide, and all the people who, over the years, snort those drugs, there hasn't been any increase in silicosis, or cancer related to silicosis. If there were an increase, we would know about it, there would be studies about it, because people do follow drug users around and document the conditions that develop as a result of drug usage.

2. If snorting pills caused silicosis, you'd better believe that DARE, NIDA, NIH, the DEA, and every other gov. organization would be shouting it at the top of their lungs as another deterrent and scare tactic.

3. Snorting pills does not get that majority of the pill into your lung (< 2% of the pill probably makes it to your lungs).

4. The silicon dioxide content of these pills is minimal, as the ingredients are listed from highest content, to lowest content, and silicon dioxide is always listed after other ingredients and dyes, and you can gaurantee that the dyes make up less than 5% of the total pill content.

5. In order for the silicon dioxide to make it to your lungs AND do harm, it must be atomized. The reason silicon dioxide is documented as dangerous if it makes it to your lungs is because workers who work in factories and who use sandblasting equipment and etc create atomized silicon dioxide when they work which simply floats around in the air to be inhaled (making it much more likely to get into the lungs than a pill insufflation). Crushing a pill will not atomize the silicon dioxide.

6. Assuming #3, #4 and #5, we are talking very very very minimal non-atomized particles making it into your lungs (<2% of the pill, and whatever of that content is silicon dioxide, which is very very little). The OSHA guidelines for silicon dioxide state that it is okay and safe to inhale less than 0.1mg/m^3 every day for your entire life. That means you can safely inhale, with no consequences, 0.1mg/m^3 of silicon dioxide in every breath you take with no harm. OSHA is very very very careful, and there is no doubt that the 0.1mg/m^3 figure is on the very safe side.

Conclusion: In order to do harm you would have to get enormous quantities of silicon dioxide into your lungs at atomized levels every day, and based on the above it is *very* safe to say that doing so, is impossible.

Have a good day :)

I make a big post to reassure people that no harm will come, and no one even reads it.. lol

Did you check the post count before and after? A lot of people read it, people just didn't respond... likely BECAUSE you put their mind at ease. Thank you for that!

Did you check the post count before and after? A lot of people read it, people just didn't respond... likely BECAUSE you put their mind at ease. Thank you for that!

no I didn't check the post count haha. I only count actual posts as acknowledgement/thanks ;).

But you're welcome.

Oops, I didn't mean post count, I meant view count... its been viewed 220x now.

Oops, I didn't mean post count, I meant view count... its been viewed 220x now.

I bet that a good amount of the users who visit this website are frequently intoxicated when they browse bl.... and I'm sure they mis-click ;P