• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

There are any dangers in mixing Zoloft and Ritalin?

oxyladron

Bluelighter
I'm taking Zoloft (100mg) per day for my depression and I'm thinking of buying some Ritalin to insufflate, just for fun because I haven't used in a while. There are any dangers of triggering some kind of serotonin syndrome? Since I usually insufflate 40mg to 70mg of Ritalin and always take my Zoloft in the morning.

Your seizure threshold will be reduced, and the methylphenidate will be potentiated (in all regards, including unwanted effects) but acute toxicity or serotonin syndrome is unlikely. Wouldn't recommend it in the long wrong

Your seizure threshold will be reduced, and the methylphenidate will be potentiated (in all regards, including unwanted effects) but acute toxicity or serotonin syndrome is unlikely. Wouldn't recommend it in the long wrong

So you're saying that you don't recommend the long-term use of both medicines? My seizure threshold being reduced is basically saying that I'll probably have a seizure or it just makes me more prone to?

This is a very commonly prescribed combination by psychiatrists..they may potentiate eachother and having more side effects is also more likely, but the chances of seizure are still relatively low unless you are prone to having them..ritalin is primarily a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and I don't believe it has much effect if any at all on serotonergic receptors or transporters, so serotonin syndrome is not going to happen with this combination. You will be perfectly fine in combining the two as long as you are not a seizure-prone individual.

This is a very commonly prescribed combination by psychiatrists..they may potentiate eachother and having more side effects is also more likely, but the chances of seizure are still relatively low unless you are prone to having them..ritalin is primarily a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and I don't believe it has much effect if any at all on serotonergic receptors or transporters, so serotonin syndrome is not going to happen with this combination. You will be perfectly fine in combining the two as long as you are not a seizure-prone individual.

I agree, he will be fine and be very unlikely to have a problem. The one difference however with this situation and the common case of these two drugs co-prescription is that he's snorting 70mg of it, which is an uncommon dose via a route of administration that will lead to a higher than therapeutic blood level. Still, I agree, he'll be fine, though the seziure threshold will be reduced (to the extent that that is relevant -- and it probably isnt in this case).

Jesus fucking christ, guys. I'm snorting only 50mg per day (first 30mg, then 20mg) and holy fucking christ. My anxiety is so fucked up and I don't have any benzodiazepine right now but I also can't stop using this cause my life is kinda screwed up. SHIT!

Jesus fucking christ, guys. I'm snorting only 50mg per day (first 30mg, then 20mg) and holy fucking christ. My anxiety is so fucked up and I don't have any benzodiazepine right now but I also can't stop using this cause my life is kinda screwed up. SHIT!
That is no surprise. Been there and had that. For me, most SSRI's make me extremely shakey and anxious. And I always preferred adderall to ritalin also. Pure DRI's vs serotonin/dopamine releasing agents are much shittier. Makes me much more likely to feel emotionless and zombified..meaning my social comfortability goes out the window with ritalin. It also seems to defeat its purpose because I start to worry more about the negative side effects and less on what I am trying to accomplish by taking the drug..whether it be working on a project or doing household tasks.

To me, ritalin is akin to crack, albeit crack is way more intense and shorter lived. Short-lived, zombified and all I'm thinking about is how keyed up I am...not exactly a productive drug for me.