• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The worst addiction?

Can someone explain what the fuck is so bad about benzo withdrawal that they would put it above opiate withdrawals? I had small benzo 'benders' where I did daily use of xanax/valium for a couple weeks.... but Im guessing thats not long enough to get bad withdrawals huh? I get the whole rebound anxiety thing, plus Ive noticed slightly blurred vision etc.

But whats the main shit with hardcore benzo withdrawal and how long do you generally need to be abusing them for to suffer it? Is it mainly psychological (ie. anxiety related, like severe paranoia/phobic reactions to everything plus negative thought spirals that get out of control?)?

I think people put it above opiate withdrawal because of the seizures/chance of death and because it lasts much much longer. IME the really bad withdrawals didn't show up until I started using clonazepam daily for a bit over a year. The more potent benzos will cause alot worse withdrawal.

I don't know if benzos are the worst addiction overall really, I think they have the worst withdrawals though. But mentally I was very motivated to never take them again after it got bad. I can see meth or heroin being much harder to beat in the sense that the psychological cravings to use would be much greater than with benzos and then theres still the terrible withdrawals they also have albeit maybe not quite as bad as benzos. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
Juice? What am I missing?

GHB.

For me the hardest 2 things to stop are alcohol and tobacco.

I could easily go a year without illegal drugs but would struggle to last a week without a beer or ciggie.

I think people put it above opiate withdrawal because of the seizures/chance of death and because it lasts much much longer. IME the really bad withdrawals didn't show up until I started using clonazepam daily for a bit over a year. The more potent benzos will cause alot worse withdrawal.

I don't know if benzos are the worst addiction overall really, I think they have the worst withdrawals though. But mentally I was very motivated to never take them again after it got bad. I can see meth or heroin being much harder to beat in the sense that the psychological cravings to use would be much greater than with benzos and then theres still the terrible withdrawals they also have albeit maybe not quite as bad as benzos. If that makes sense.

Ahh ok. Yeah I can see every day use for a year + then sudden cessation being a problem. Scary. I guess 2-4mg aplraz a day for a few weeks isnt really gonna be too much of an issue then. Whats this chance of death thing related to benzo withdrawals? Is that associated with seizures?

edit,

Hi Palif... nice post. I can relate to a lot of what you wrote. A lot of my neurosis melt away when I use certain substances and I really dont enjoy reacquainting myself with them suring periods of withdrawal.

As I get more experienced and learn more about myself and my own psychology I find Im able to manage my habits as recreational hobbies that I can control.

Last edited:
I've read in a book by Michael Gossop, that probably the worst addiction is barbiturates (it was prescribed for the things benzodiazepines are prescribed now).
It was more addicing, less fun, and had this properity that the tolerance rose but the lethal dose didn't rise so quickly. Gossop says it's one of the hardest things to kick.

Tramadol is said to combine opiates WD with depression connected to the lack of SSRI agent. And it's long.

I think we all know it's impossible and rather pointless to have discussions over what the worst addiction is, it's a debate that just goes in circles and circles.

I don't believe that there is a 'worst' addiction; in my initial post I alluded to the fact that I think the worst addiction varies from person to person but maybe I should have made that clearer. I don't believe there is an absolute rating of addiction from worst to best - I just find addiction a really interesting subject and I like to hear other people's experiences with it. I find it interesting to hear individual experiences of how different drug addictions affect them, and the differences and similarities across them all.

I believe every single human has the thought processes that are associated with addiction. For most it is just a small part of their brain and in general is very helpful to their lives in regard to motivation, routine behaviour etc but for some this way of thinking overwhelms them and becomes their entire life. I think particular drugs can trigger this happening due to the reward pathways in the brain. Very little effort for ALOT of gain (eg. smoking a meth pipe is easy - but the mental reward is massive, compared to working towards something really difficult in life that may have a large reward but probably will release less dopamine than a hit of meth). This is essentially what addiction is as I see it. It's unfortunate that certain drugs that can trigger these thought processes then go on to also be highly physically addictive like heroin, benzos, alcohol. Because once things enter the realm of the body becoming dependant, no amount of willpower is going to help - you can't argue with your body chemistry.

I was feeling a bit depressed after work last night. Nothing too bad... just a bit flat (fairly common for me due to my mind numbingly boring job. 4hr + shifts usually result in me getting way too in my head and thinking myself into a hole), anyway I decided to watch Leaving Las Vegas (fuck knows why) as a fall asleep movie. Ended up being a stupid decision as it just made me more depressed, I ended up watching the whole thing and then I had to physically change rooms to get to sleep (to get the movie outta my head).

Anyway, my point was gonna be something to do with alcohol addiction/withdrawal. I guess you could say this about any substance that you arent in love with (I always have a nice single-malt on hand, or a few beers or wine etc, but I dont go nuts drinking like I used to / some do) but I really dont get how people can get that addicted to alcohol. Nic Cage played the character as a guy who seems to get as much out of drinking as one might get out of a night of some really top quality coke. Is alcohol addiction on that scale just for people who havent been introduced to friendlier (more euphoric) highs? I mean, who the fuck wants to neck a bottle of rum just go to the supermarket?

Not really the point of the thread though I guess. Back on topic, from the movie (and what Ive seen/been told elsewhere) alcohol withdrawals look fucking nasty.

^ Regarding the alcoholism, there is evidence that particularly in alcoholics endorphins are activated by consumption of the drug. I can't be bothered to look up studies or references right now, but Revia (naltrexone) is a common medication for treatment of alcoholism.

I have had serious addictions to Valium, Cigarettes, Weed and what i would call more of a regulaar meth 'habit' not full blown addiction. I think in Aus meth is too expensive for the junkie lifestyle. You can pick up smack pretty cheap but really good meth/ice can be as expensive as $[snip] a gram or even more, if it is very pure. So i don't think it lends itself to junkies here as much in the states where it is shit cheap and good quality. But of all the drugs i listed, meth is the only on i do sometimes gets a hold of me, to the point of 'never again, i swear it!!' but yep there i am again a couple of weeks later doing it all again. Almost no control over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the worst addiction is the one you dont realise you have.
im watchin people go through it with meth, refusing they have a problem after theyve lose a house or job, or everything. terrible shit. so iv quit meth and managed to say no alot just thinking of them.

Yeah benzo and alcohol WDs can be very fatal. I personally think out of the X amount of drugs Ive tried I rekon hydromorphone is the evilest out of them all. I have tried basically every opiate but never was abusing it as much as that hydro shit. Glad I am off it now.

That's interesting - I didn't like Hydro as much as DAM or M. I even chucked half a bottle of Dilaudid down the drain a while ago.

This makes perfect sense. The physical aspect of benzo withdrawal is horrendous - not to mention the quasi psychosis that accompanies it. Opiates is very painful, agitating and annoying from a physical perspective but has nothing on benzos. Looking at opiates vs benzos from a psychological perspective it's psychosis/fear/panic/depersonalization vs intense cravings....I'll chose the cravings any day even though that means opiates can cause you to be dependant forever, but it's still better than benzo wthdrawal. I'll take 5 opiate WDs for 1 benzo withdrawal....actually, make that more like 10!!!!