• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The world of neurology

GrymReefer

Bluelight Crew
Very sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I read through this area quite often for some good food for thought threads and felt that you guys could provide the best possible answer. Starting school this fall. Interested in pharmacology/genetics(more so of epigenetics than the whole population genetics niche)/neurology/endocrinology. I think in the end I'll specialize in the endocrinology department, but I want to make sure as I go through college I still get a lot of neurology/pharmacology classes in as an opportunity to further my education later on.

What classes should I definitely look out for? I know this kinda should be in the educational thread, but you guys have probably already taken these classes or encountered them and can definitely help me with precise information that I'm looking for. Or classes that you enjoyed, but were electives in those fields? I already have a few college credits from AP Chemistry, AP Physics, AP Anatomy/human physiology, and AP Genetics back in high school. Considering I haven't done anything related to that in close to 4 1/2 years I'm thinking of not even trying to transfer those.

Last edited:
Transfer the credits and get an AA and apply for pharmacy school at schools that focus on genomics or something. Shouldn't take you very long.

I recommend asking professionals or guidance counselors. Most of the people on this forum aren't formally educated at the college level. You could ask reddit.com/r/neuroscience. My best recommendation is asking reddit.com/r/chemistry. I recognize chemistry isn't your interest. I choose r/chemistry because the majority of users on the subredit are college educated professional scientist. They could give you solid insight on advanced science education, even in other fields.

My recommendation, don't get your college advice here.

My recommendation, don't get your college advice here.

We have people here with advanced degrees in basic science, and careers as actual scientists. Well at least one I can confirm, but a lot more I suspect.

Look at the classes that your Molecular Biology and pre-med programs require. Start with the intro courses and see what you like. I wouldn't worry about finding specific courses that interest you right off the bat, most of the more specialized courses will require the basic courses anyways. Other than that I would ask upperclassmen at your university what courses they liked; they have way better information than anyone on the internet.

Do you think you want to work in a research laboratory after you graduate? It seems crazy but you can find a research lab to work in for credit during your freshman year, even with no background or experience (who doesn't like free help right?). Even if you don't know exactly what you want to do after you graduate working in a lab looks great on your resume, gets you at least one strong letter of reference (unless you burn the place down), and can help you decide whether or not you want to do something like that long term.