• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The whole point of drinking is the hangover

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
With Professor David Nutt's synthetic beer, we’d never learn to live with the consequences of our behaviour

Professor David Nutt, the scientist who was the Labour government’s drugs adviser, this week appeared on the Today programme seeking investment for substances that mimic the effect of alcohol.

Why bother? Because a drug that’s less pharmacologically “messy” than alcohol could deliver the pleasures of your favourite tipple – minus the harm. He suggests that in a country with thousands of alcohol-related deaths a year, it’s time we looked into safer alternatives.

The vision is for “synthetic beer”, to leave the imbiber without a hangover: consequence-free (and so guilt-free?) drinking. During the interview, Professor Nutt said: “I think this would be a serious revolution in health… just like the e-cigarette is going to revolutionise the smoking of tobacco.”

A guilt-free drink doesn’t make me think about smoking (and thinking about smoking will most likely be banned soon – even e-cigarettes are forbidden on open-air station platforms, suggesting that the ban was about the ruling class rubbing out behaviour they found displeasing, as much as it was about public health). Guilt-free drinking makes me think of a brave new world, and not in a good way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10441349/The-whole-point-of-drinking-is-the-hangover.html

I hate when people attempt to use alcohol's incredible toxicity in it's own defence. No other drug is metabolized into a carcinogen that causes a lingering sickness that next day. (See: acetaldehyde)

Im in favor of legalizing it all and letting the public choose what to use and holding them responsible for their own decisions.. I know novel idea right there.

"So, yes, drinking is bad for the individual and for society. But we also know that our culture has evolved, over millennia, customs to handle it." Sorry but drinking makes people retarded and IMO we dont really handle it.

synthetic beer?
ghb?

also I dont get hangover, shame on all of you :p

Consequence-free drinking
This guy apparently does not understand how badly alcohol impairs people. Even without a hangover, there would still be significant consequences.

He suggests that in a country with thousands of alcohol-related deaths a year, it’s time we looked into safer alternatives.

I entirely support that idea. However, we already have a substance like that--it's called marijuana.

EDIT: ugh i hate this article's writing style so much. it's some annoying poetic crap.

synthetic beer?
ghb?

GHB will never be re legalized since it got labelled a date rape drug. If you want to demonize something call it a date rape drug. You get your picture in the paper as would be predator for possessing it here.
Maybe the new beer could be less date rape friendly than the old beer. Maybe they could make a beer that makes people less "stabby" too. A beer that makes people quieter that would be awesome. One that helps me make good decisions. If science can improve on the downsides of alcohol I am all for it!

It's truly an abomination that despite GHB likely being the safest sedative known to man and naturally occurring in the human body that mentioning it evokes automatic visceral retard responses about date rape. There were even studies on it showing 100% percent of those who reported their drinks were spiked to the police in the UK and Canada had a minimum BAC of .16 and none tested positive for ketamine, GHB, or flunitrazepam (roofies).

There were even studies on it showing 100% percent of those who reported their drinks were spiked to the police in the UK and Canada had a minimum BAC of .16 and none tested positive for ketamine, GHB, or flunitrazepam (roofies).

That's interesting. I did a little searching and found this, but it's about Norway:

J Forensic Leg Med. 2013 Aug;20(6):777-84. doi: 10.1016/j.jflm.2013.05.005. Epub
2013 Jun 25.

Ethanol and drug findings in women consulting a Sexual Assault
Center--associations with clinical characteristics and suspicions of
drug-facilitated sexual assault.

Hagemann CT, Helland A, Spigset O, Espnes KA, Ormstad K, Schei B.

Department of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science
and Technology, P.O. Box 8905, N-7491 Trondheim, Norway. [email protected]

The purpose of the study was to describe toxicological findings among women
seeking health care after sexual assault, and to assess the relationship with
so-called proactive DFSA (drug facilitated sexual assault). We also explored
associations between ethanol in blood/urine and background data, assault
characteristics, and clinical findings. We conducted a retrospective, descriptive
study of female patients ≥ 12 years of age consulting the Sexual Assault Center
at St. Olavs University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway. They were examined between
July 1, 2003 and December 31, 2010, and urine and/or blood were analyzed for
ethanol and selected medicinal/recreational drugs. Among the 264 patients
included, ethanol and/or drugs were detected in 155 (59%). Of the 50 patients
(19%) testing positive for drugs other than ethanol,
benzodiazepines/benzodiazepine-like drugs were found in 31, central stimulants in
14, cannabinoids in 13 and opioids in nine. None tested positive for
gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB). In total, 57 patients (22%) suspected proactive
DFSA, but only five had findings of sedative drugs that were not accounted for by
self-reported voluntary intake. No cases could unequivocally be attributed to
proactive DFSA. Among the 120 patients tested for ethanol within 12 h after the
assault, 102 were positive. The median estimated blood alcohol concentration
(BAC) at the time of assault was 1.87 g/L. Patients testing positive for ethanol
more often reported a public place of assault and a stranger assailant. Higher
estimated BAC at the time of assault was associated with higher frequency of
suspecting proactive DFSA. Ethanol was the most prevalent toxicological finding
in urine/blood from victims of sexual assault, and high ethanol concentrations
were often detected. Among the patients suspecting proactive DFSA, very few had
sedative drug findings not explained by voluntary intake. It seems like
opportunistic DFSA, rather than proactive DFSA dominate among the sexually
assaulted attending our SAC.

Copyright © 2013 Elsevier Ltd and Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine. All
rights reserved.

PMID: 23910880 [PubMed - in process]

When the media falsely accuses a person, it has to eventually print some sort of retraction. But when it falsely accuses a substance, no such burden exists. GHB cannot sue the Daily Mail.

I know I drink to get hungover, like why would I want to drink and not get that awesome hangover you drug addicts

GHB will never be re legalized since it got labelled a date rape drug. If you want to demonize something call it a date rape drug. You get your picture in the paper as would be predator for possessing it here.
Maybe the new beer could be less date rape friendly than the old beer. Maybe they could make a beer that makes people less "stabby" too. A beer that makes people quieter that would be awesome. One that helps me make good decisions. If science can improve on the downsides of alcohol I am all for it!

yea hangover is the best part. the pounding headache, the vomiting, the gaps in memroy, the goul taste in your mouth, burpiong up some foul food you prob ate the ight before with your hands like a caveman bc you were so hungry. the ugly chick who at the time looked like victoria silvstedt you went home with. yeah being hunover rocks. no one would dare say that booze is a date rape drug even tho...well, it is! i know a lot of ppl both men and women who have made some really bad hookup choices only to laugh hysterically about it sometime later. the lingering guilt during a hangover really seems to persist doesnt it?

I agree with you.
But there is a popular drug that often makes people quieter, and can (sometimes) help them make better decisions.
No date rape or stabbing either. And no hangover!
It is called cannabis. But it has been linked with minorities raping White women, in the public's mind, and therefore is tainted.

I agree with you.
But there is a popular drug that often makes people quieter, and can (sometimes) help them make better decisions.
It is called cannabis. But it has been linked with minorities raping White women, in the public's mind, and therefore is tainted.

I think the bigger problem is that parents are afraid of their kid turning out some lazy stoner.

I agree with you.

Oh yeah, there's nothing I love more than smoking a fat joint and corrupting a white woman.

David Nutt posted on reddit a while ago saying MDMA wasn't a neurotoxin. I'm really starting to take his ideas with a grain of salt.