• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc The Wellbutrin (Bupropion) Negative Side Effects Thread!

Why on earth would anyone take 3,000mg of Wellbutrin? That's like 20x the therapeutic dose.

wellbutrin is fucking nasty.DO NOT USE THIS TO GET HIGH, IT IS COMMON SENSE.I wanted to kill myself when i was 14, i swallowed a whole prescription
Well Duh!
Of course it's going to be nasty if you swallow a whole bottle!
I take it as prescribed, and I love the stuff.
Wellbutrin is very fucked up, i think it should be taken off the market.It is not safe, even in the suggested doses, in my experience it will cause more suicidal thoughts worse than prozac,zoloft,celexa ...any other A.D.
No, your fucked up, don't blame the drug on you, taken off the market, don't be an idiot.

I take it as prescribed, and I love the stuff.
I took it as prescribed for two weeks and it gave me an amphetamine psychosis that worsened from day to day (due to still believing in the bullshit psychiatrists told me about this "AD"), until I realized that this bullshit drug fucked me up real hard and it would be crazy to continue taking it.

No, your fucked up, don't blame the drug on you, taken off the market, don't be an idiot.
I do think the manufacturer and the people who approved "medicine" on the market are to blame. it's just beyond my understanding how you can sell a shitty stimulant as "atypical antidepressant", and how they even got away with it. I once peaked into the studies that lead to the approval and it is just incredible: they just excluded everyone with bad reactions from the test group - an excellent way of getting a positive result, but not exactly scientific.

try to enter "bupropion psychosis" into google sometimes. nearly 2 million hits. "bupropion feel worse" even gives more than 5 million hits.

What a terrible ordeal!

Seven months ago I swallowed a bottle of 60 400mg Seroquel and 90 150mg Wellbutrin SR. I was obviously attempting suicide. I had multiple seizures, split my head open and was completely delusional. I was in the ER directing a soap opera from my bed. They kept giving me IV lorazepam but I wouldn't calm down and was being very loud. I couldn't talk right for a week. I'd know what I was trying to say but word salad would come out.

Im finding this substance extremely unpredictable, in what effect its gonna have on my mood. I was fine on it yesterday, but my thoughts are a bit all over the place today, they are just thoughts though, wish theyd go away, probably be getting on the etiz early today.

This thread is too specific / I'm too obstinate therefore I'm just going to make note of my experience with Wellbutrin. I've been all the way up the dosage ladder and have used generic and brand name of all doses available of the sr (100-200mgs) and have taken XL at 150mg and had used it in the past for a grand total of a year and a half.
Interactions that I noted were: reduced the effects of amphetamines quite a bit.
Significantly potentiated the constituent chemicals of green tea where I would feel giddy after drinking it. Can't remember if it was effective at increasing caffiene potency but it's possible.
DANGEROUS INTERACTIONS WITH ALCOHOL; this shit, for whatever reason (I suspect it to be related to the seizure threshold lowering mechanisms) will make alcohol more like a good dose of GHB. I and a friend both suffered a notably low tolerance to alcohol where me at 6 foot 195lbs was blacking out after 4 or 5 drinks and it was not fun.

-As far as hallucinations, my grip on reality always felt very different on this stuff. It wasn't scary nor was it particularly concerning but it was certainly noticable that things felt different.
-snorting 100mg of SR produces an effect not unlike the worst coke you've ever had if you also incorporate a cup of joe before hand. Burns like your asshole after you shit out Satan's entire realm of hell tho.
-I found myself, a usually very emotionally balanced person, more easily drawn to violent thoughts and I felt like on a few occasions when I would get angry and that pre-fight surge would hit me, I would continue to feel alpha as fuck for up to 30 minutes which is kind of ridiculously long winded for being raged.

LSD + Wellbutrin produced no notable side effects, trip = excellent (likely no relationship but just mentioning)

Just quit 300xr after a month. Probably the 7th time I have done it looking for hope. Then realizing I feel a buzzing in my mind not that different from the buzzing of a shitty early 2000s roll. It sends my adreniline sky rocketing and I lose my ability to speak to any one because I'm so on the edge of my seat. I keep getting back on it looking for help with the massive self inflicted depression that comes with discontinuing opiates. Just to realize oh yea I hate this feeling. I personally believe when you abused x and Molly in stupid dosages for years in your younger life the idea that an antidepressant will ever work is not possible.

Buproprion

Im finding this substance extremely unpredictable, in what effect its gonna have on my mood. I was fine on it yesterday, but my thoughts are a bit all over the place today, they are just thoughts though, wish theyd go away, probably be getting on the etiz early today.

I have been taking wellbutrin/bupropion for over ten years to help cut down on smoking - and never had a problem.
Recently had bronchitis and tried various over counter meds.
Tried a med (not giving name but for cold symptoms) that made me have the first time ever experience of something I never actually believed it - and that's visual hallucination - seemed real but yet I was in cognitive state but believed for a while cause had a rationalization that (allegedly) could explain why what I was seeing was possible.
Will be more careful in future.
All symptoms disappeared within 24 hours of stopping med - btw interaction made me stay awake for two days and then the hallucination.
I do not blame buproprion - my fault.

Vivid what med did you take? It would be helpful to people that also take bupropion so we know to avoid it.

I do think the manufacturer and the people who approved "medicine" on the market are to blame. it's just beyond my understanding how you can sell a shitty stimulant as "atypical antidepressant", and how they even got away with it."

They arent to blame. It works great for tons of people, includjng myself. Theres people that only get negative effects from SSRIs, should those be pulled from the market? No because they also help many people. You sound very ignorant and self centered.

try to enter "bupropion psychosis" into google sometimes. nearly 2 million hits. "bupropion feel worse" even gives more than 5 million hits.
Thats pretty meaningless fyi. Type in "weed overdose" theyll be millions. "Feel worse" is a contradiction of every antidepressant on every single antidepressant bottle/info, it says stop taking it if you feel worsen depression yada yada.

Anyways I take 300 or 450mg daily and have been for six months with no noticeable side effects. Its great for my depression, add, and actually helps with my opioid and coke cravings. Its gotten slightly weaker in the past few months but it was always subtle.

Last edited:
so ive been started on 100mg SR bupropion to supplement existing 30mg x2 adderall regiment. and just to be perfectly transparent, I am not always so disciplined with my dosing.. on avg I'm out a week early.. but I'm used to it and the week off is well need by that point..

so anyway and maybe obviously.. wellbutrin does zilch for me at this dosage , even on the off days. I was hoping that eventually I could increase the the wellbutrin enough that in time I might could ween down the adderall to at least prescribed dosage. thoughts?

Bad, Bad Idea! My fiancé use to snort them. He would have multiple seizures and once he took one he could not stop. He was prescribed 450mg/month. Finally I called pharm and doc. No help there but he said it reminded him of being on Coke. I haven't used Coke. But I will say he was very happy energetic and he hullicinated a lot. But very dangerous and not worth it.

Does ANYONE have any contact info for Devoid?? I was able to gather from someone that he got better and I need to know how.

The Big and Dandy Buproprion (Wellbutrin) Negative Side Effects Thread!

Mod note: This is the thread to post in if you've had bad experiences with Wellbutrin / buproprion.

See also: Big and Dandy Buproprion (Wellbutrin) Thread

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....

----

Note: I know this thread is basically a trip report, however I would just like to hear from others about their experiences with this pharm.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone else was curious (stupid may be a better word) like me, and tried using Wellbutrin (bupropion) for a recreational purpose. I took approximately 3,000 mg (which is a bad idea) and began to have vivid hallucinations all throughout the night and even the next day. In my bedroom, I saw tons of spiders and scorpions crawling all along my ceiling and eventually dropping down on me. Spiders were literally everywhere, and when they were falling on me, I would physically feel the touch of their legs on my skin (it was very odd).

I also witnessed what appeared to be an older man (it was so convincing) that would sit at the end of my bed and laugh at me, but obviously he was just a part of the hallucinations. At one point I remember seeing myself lying on my bedroom floor covered with the spiders and what looked to be a weird type of centipede. I cannot describe how scared I was at first, but after a while I realized that it was all in my head and things eventually got better. Every object in my room would just constantly sway back and forth and it was very interesting to watch. Eventually, I somehow managed to fall asleep through all the chaos, and unfortunately, I do not remember much else from this experience.

It was all such a mind-fuck for me and I will certainly never touch Wellbutrin again. Even now, the day after the experience, I am still experiencing mild hallucinations. Although all the creatures and images were quite frightening, I do not necessarily regret doing it.

tl;dr - I was just curious if anyone else has ever had a series of hallucinations while on Bupropion.

If you believe this thread needs to be moved, please do so as I am a new member here and haven't quite gotten used to things.

Peace guys %),

-DoomeDXM

Oh my God ? I'm so grateful you put this up , thankyou ! I took 450mg of bupropion for the first time and that night went to bed , woke up in the middle of the night to what I thought were spiders , they were clear , silicon looking ; all shapes and sizes and we're coming at me from all over the room , I stayed up the whole night catching them but when I caught them they dissapeared. I had the light off and had my torch on finding these spiders. I even had my lighter trying to burn them when I saw them on the ceiling and when they came up to me. When i realised they werent spiders i thought they were webs and spiders were shooting them at me. I gave up. The next day it went away but when I came back home and saw these webs everywhere , spent hours hoovering the" webs " but they wouldn't go. So last night I hid under my bed and was having panic attacks , paranoia and it made my psychosis so much worse, I thought I had developed schizophrenia or something. So glad that it was this medication ? thankyou for posting!

This might be off topic but fwiw, I have IV'd alot of bupropion. Not even close to 3000 mg though - more like 300 per day, and a few times up to 1800. I never had a seizure, just horrible anxiety, like an amphetamine come-down x 10, but for some reason, I just couldn't stop IVing it. Every day for something like 6 months, I IVd 300 mg bupropion. And whenever I got my hands on more bupropion (after all, it's very rare on the street), I shot it all up. I think the maximum was 6 pills in one day, which equals 1800 mg.

I missed alot of times, and my hands were constantly swollen during this time, but I only got real, serious problems once or twice. This happened once:

uBTHXqg.jpg

Bupropion has negative effects on cognitive function...

effects of anticholinergics include:
  • Dry mouth.
  • Blurred vision.
  • Dry eyes.
  • Constipation.
  • Urinary retention.
  • Dizziness due to drop in blood pressure on standing up (postural hypotension)
  • Cognitive problems (confusion)
  • Heart rhythm disturbance.

I was on it many years ago as an antidepressant and for smoking cessation....after half a year or more being on it I noticed many of the above side effects.

Anyone else experience any of those?

Note: I’m taking supplements to naturally increase Acetylcholine production to remedy all those side effects. A great one is Huperzine A (a natural ACE Inhibitor / prevents breakdown of Acetylcholine) and an effective cognitive enhancer. Also ALCAR (Acetyl-L-Carnitine) is a great cognitive enhancer increases Acetylcholine “the learning neurotransmitter”. I also take Vitamin B complex, Zinc, Magnesium Bisglis, Choline, Sunflower Lecithin, Taurine, L-Citrilline, L-Arginine, L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine,

Also have just picked up Bacopa supplement to strengthen cognitive function. Apparently takes a few months to see full benefits. A 2 month supply cost me $30 at health food store. One 300mg capsule per day with meal. See how that goes.

Last edited: