Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The US used to tax and regulate drugs — not ban them

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
The US used to tax and regulate drugs — not ban them
Updated by German Lopez on September 22, 2014

2695962.0.0_standard_1280.0.jpg

The most important period for the war on drugs may not have been the 1970s, when President Richard Nixon declared the war and Congress passed the Controlled Substances Act, or even the early 20th century, when lawmakers approved new taxes and regulations that effectively prohibited the distribution of certain drugs (dubbed narcotics) for recreational use.

Instead, historian Kathleen Frydl argues the most important moments may have occurred from the 1940s to the 1970s — as lawmakers began transitioning the war on drugs from a tax-and-regulate model to a criminalization approach.

In The Drug Wars in America, 1940-1973, Frydl argues policymakers of the period ramped up their anti-drug efforts as a means of building the government's power — both to legitimize increased police authority at home and justify new international incursions abroad. I sat down with Frydl on Friday to discuss her book, the war on drugs, and what we can expect in future drug policy.

German Lopez: What do you think is often missed in discussions of the war on drugs?

Kathleen Frydl: Most of the drug war literature discusses the war on drugs as either a racial and class agenda, or it discusses the war on drugs as a response to modernity and the disorder that modernity produces. I don't disagree with either line of argument, but I think both of them miss the actual "how." How did the state move from regulating drugs via a tax regime — taxes and tariffs — to a criminal punishment and prohibitive regime?

The "how" part of the story actually supplements both arguments: the race and class argument, and the struggles to deal with modernity. That new layer and frame of reference is that of the state, and how the state made choices to manage its power at the dawn of America's global ascendance. How the state made choices to manage its power proved just as consequential to the formulation of the modern drug war as race, class, and modernity.

This fine article is continued here http://www.vox.com/2014/9/22/6559791/war-on-drugs-history-1950s-1960s-kathleen-fryd

............................................................................................................................................................

hqdefault.jpg

Kathleen J Frydl
B.A. (1994) University of California, Davis; M.A. (1996) University of Chicago; Ph.D. (2000) University of Chicago
Assistant Professor, University of California, Berkeley, 2003-present; Program Officer, National Academies, 2000-2003

Richard Nixon said:
... Well I'm not a crook. I've earned everything I've got.

And your nose isn't crooked at all either. In fact, it's quite average looking in its size and shape.

Countless Americans have been locked away in prisons around the nation ever since you declared war on (certain) drugs and created the DEA. Your decision to start this war, and to condemn them to their fate for nothing more than the non-violent possession of parts of a plant is immeasurably more heinous than their "crime" ever was.

Her timeline is not in line with most drug-war scholars, as she admits, and I would have to agree with most drug-war scholars. Drug prohibition started in earnest in the United States with the Harrison Narcotics Acts of 1914. If you restrict a drug to prescription-use only and imprison doctors who prescribe it to certain people, that is prohibition.

For a great history of the real beginning of drug prohibition in the U.S., see "The American Disease" by David F. Musto.

just make soft drugs decriminalized and the hard stuff prescribed! in sorts it is what is happening, oxycodone=Heroin Adderall+Desoxyn=Meth and i think cocaine is still used as a numbing agent as cocaine HCI ! let people put what they want in there body's and if the feds have such a hard on to get in the middle let specialized doctors regulate it. and by regulate i mean give me any drug i want as long as im not killing myself or hurting others! If every dope head junky could get what they wanted from a doctor then there would be zero reason to rob someone for drug money! it would take the $ away from cartels who use violent"s as there main tools. I always come to the same conclusion that the Higher ups on the federal totem pole must want the same end result. they sure as hell are not in it to help people. an average of 24 grand per inmate per year. I wonder what the profit is on that, I know many people that work full time and don't clear 20 grand, and there not eating crap food, living in overcrowded for profit prisons. Its sad that in this day and age we the people or government have not come up with a better result!

Last edited: