• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The truth about caffeine: Why we know so little about our favorite addictive drug

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
In a culture where we worry about unregulated chemicals and food additives, it’s shocking how little we know about one of the most common ones: caffeine. We spend a lot more time consuming the drug than we do thinking about it, says author Murray Carpenter. Meanwhile, none of the companies peddling it have been willing to talk about it. And the FDA, up until very recently, has been remiss in not regulating it.

“It is a topic that many of us feel we know a lot about,” Carpenter said. “But the more I got into it I found out that a lot surprised me.” What he found was a mixed picture: Caffeine isn’t all bad, but it certainly isn’t all good, either. And the information we need to maintain a healthy relationship with it is, for a large part, inaccessible to us.

I was several coffees in when I reached Carpenter to talk about his new book, “Caffeinated,” which delves into the history, science and industry interests surrounding the mind-sharpening white powder. As befits two addicts talking about their shared addiction, things got a bit confessional. As such, this interview has been edited for length, clarity and personal details.

Is caffeine just another drug? Is it something that people are forming real addictions to? And if not, how do we distinguish it from something that is completely unregulated or, say, bought on the street?

Well, yes to your first question. It is just another drug. It’s been well-established for over a century that people know it’s a drug that has very predictable effects when you take it.

In terms of addiction, it’s really fraught, of course. It is certainly addictive in the sense that it has a number of characteristics that we associate with addictive drugs. You crave it, develop a tolerance to it, and certainly most people who are at least moderate to heavy users will undergo some withdrawal symptoms on ceasing its use. These are qualities that we associate with addictive drugs. There are some people who, of course, argue that without some kind of really negative social connotations, a drug doesn’t really deserve the term “addiction.” So some people like to call it a “mildly addictive” drug. This is to say people aren’t missing work because they’re jonesing for caffeine or holding up a bank or ruining their family relationships because they’re addicted to caffeine. There are also some people who — and this is another characteristic of addictive drugs — either want to moderate or eliminate their consumption of caffeine for various reasons who have a hard time doing it.

cont at
http://www.salon.com/2014/03/16/the..._so_little_about_our_favorite_addictive_drug/

Every day I'm surrounded by people who seemingly cannot function without caffeine. Well, the only time I care to mention it to these people is when they begin to judge people whose drug of choice is one that is considered unacceptable by conservative society. This is regardless of the fact that many of these street drug users continue to show up to work on a regular basis, and they are able to do their job just fine.

My dad is a caffeine, well coffee addict lol. He makes a cup of coffee everymorning that would probably be enough beans for me for a week. Big cup too and the stuff is like mud, i get heart palpitations from the smell. He gets headaches when he doesnt drink coffee, gets grumpy too haha.

My dad too, sometimes 6 cups a day, coffee is like crack to older people.
If I have more than a couple cups of coffee a day I get kinda twitchy and get chills and have a harder time focusing than before I drank any.
One is usually the limit for me

My brother-in-law drinks 2 POTS of coffee a day.
We're talking full coffee pots marked as 12 cups each (though those would be very small cups).

Me, I drink one cup a day, sometimes two, and if I miss a day I will get a nasty headache.
Caffeine is a real drug in my mind, and probably stronger overall than weed.
But very, very legal.

Caffeine is definitely stronger than weed in higher doses - 1000-2000 mg of caffeine will do any regular person in

Back when I used to drink coffee, I decided to buy myself a venti one morning from Starbucks. Terrible idea. It has over 500mg of caffeine. By lunch time I was feeling nauseous as hell. Ended up traumatizing one of the toilets.

What don't we know about caffiene? It was pretty well understood last time I checked. I constantly drink tea, and sometimes throw in an energy drink. ~500mg a day.

Caffeine is definitely stronger than weed in higher doses - 1000-2000 mg of caffeine will do any regular person in
http://www.news-medical.net/health/Caffeine-Pharmacology.aspx

Amounts greater than 300 mg may produce jitters

12000 mg (12 grams) is an estimated LD50

"...overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine."

And I know this will send quivers down the old spine, "Caffeine can also be ingested rectally".

edited

Last edited:
There's no set amount that will produce jitters individual tolerances vary. 300mg doesn't cause jitters in me.

12000mg is 12g not 1.2g.

I've yet to here of a drug that can't be administered rectally. Love me some plugged heron!

i used to manage a coffee shop & it constantly amazed me how many people "cannot function without caffeine" but look down on any other drug addict in society. they would have between 6-12 espresso shots daily (some customers more)... it was insane. if i take two excedrin & have coffee or diet coke, i get super jittery. it's crazy.

I had a Monster energy drink yesterday. First one since finding out I was pregnant a little over 4 years ago (almost to the day) and I felt NO effects, even though I took an Adderall a while before.
I drink Coke all day long. I used to drink Red Bull and Monster a lot. Coffee tweaks me out too much.

I had a Monster energy drink yesterday. First one since finding out I was pregnant a little over 4 years ago (almost to the day) and I felt NO effects, even though I took an Adderall a while before.
I drink Coke all day long. I used to drink Red Bull and Monster a lot. Coffee tweaks me out too much.
"The UK Food Standards Agency has recommended that pregnant women should limit their caffeine intake to less than 200mg of caffeine a day—the equivalent of two cups of instant coffee or a half to two cups of fresh coffee. The FSA noted that the design of the studies made it impossible to be certain that the differences were due to caffeine per se, instead of other lifestyle differences possibly associated with high levels of caffeine consumption, but judged the advice to be prudent."

i used to manage a coffee shop & it constantly amazed me how many people "cannot function without caffeine" but look down on any other drug addict in society. they would have between 6-12 espresso shots daily (some customers more)... it was insane. if i take two excedrin & have coffee or diet coke, i get super jittery. it's crazy.
"Other factors such as smoking can shorten caffeine's half-life. Fluvoxamine reduced the clearance of caffeine by 91.3%, and prolonged its elimination half-life by 11.4-fold (from 4.9 hours to 56 hours) ... Caffeine makes pain relievers 40% more effective in relieving headaches and helps the body absorb headache medications more quickly, bringing faster relief ... a drug such as fluvoxamine, which blocks the liver enzyme responsible for the metabolism of caffeine, thus increasing the central effects and blood concentrations of caffeine dramatically at 5-fold."

http://www.news-medical.net/health/Caffeine-Pharmacology.aspx (same source as earlier post)

There's no set amount that will produce jitters individual tolerances vary. 300mg doesn't cause jitters in me.

12000mg is 12g not 1.2g.

I've yet to here of a drug that can't be administered rectally. Love me some plugged heron!
I need to get me alignment checked. :/

Last edited:
These days I stick to two caffeinated beverages per day (coffee and/or tea), on average. One with breakfast, one with lunch.

Hmm, I probably drink about 3-5 1.5 shot espresso coffees a day. One thing I can say is that my favorite bean is much more mild and easier on the stomach than senseo pads. Proper espresso is roasted longer than regular coffee beans destroying a bit more of the caffeine (I haven't personally read this from a verified source, but I can subjectively verify it in that it seems easier on my stomach). I have always been odd with stimulants, and don't really feel small amounts of caffeine or get jittery from larger amounts. It certainly brightens up the morning a bit =)

12000mg is 12g not 1.2g.

Those poor birds. I hope you euthanize them first.

It is not the birds I would feel sorrow for.

blue-heron.jpg

(Maybe just a little.)

In retrospect I must admit that coffee brewed from locally grown coffee beans tastes delicious - which I had the pleasure of trying while in Cuba. It's an enormous difference from the usual stale smelling/tasting crap that passes for coffee around the workplace.

I knew not to drink much caffeine while pregnant. During the first trimester, I didn't drink any but slowly got back up to a 16 oz bottle of coke a day while at work. I'm happy I haven't had any Monster-type drinks ffor so long.