Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

The Theater Experience. What annoys you?

FunkyAlfonzo said:
I think its rubbish that the movie studios force the people selling their products for them to end up as overpriced hotdog stands just to survive. Is there nothing that can be done about it?

Well, if you wanna get down to brass tacks, it's the CONSUMER that is forcing the prices to be so high. The more money they spend to make movies, the more money they have to charge to break even. There are about two or three really commercially succesful films a year that didn't have massive multi-million dollar budgets such as My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Look at it this way: A CD is relatively cheap to produce. You have to pay the musicians, the producers, the technicians, the studios etc. The total number of people required to make a CD is miniscule compared to the total number of people required to make a quality motion picture. Sometimes HUNDREDS more people. Each one of them expect to be paid for services rendered. Movies are STILL cheaper than CD's.

Also, if old reels are so cheap, how come more classic movies don't get shown? Surely some of the independent, small release films could be shown really cheaply on a smaller screen a bit more regularly?

Even though old films are cheap, they aren't always a draw. To make a movie, even an old movie, worth showing in a theater, you need to be able to get enough people to come see it.

For example: This past halloween I ran a weekend special showing of The Blair Witch Project. The cost to rent the print for two nights was $150, with no money going back to the studios. Whatever we made at the box office, we kept. I then had to keep my theater open for three extra hours each night to run the movie. I had one concessionist, one (union) projectionist and two other managers for each night. Even at $5 a ticket, we were barely able to recoup the rental cost. We made even less in concession sales.

This is why we do not do things like this more often.

Oh and the person that was talking about subliminal advertising making you want popcorn... I think they pump the smell of popcorn into the room during the adverts/trailers to make you want it. Sneeky!

Actualy, we kind of do. It's not "pumped" into the auditorium per-se, but the smell of fresh popcorn does permeate the entire building. That's because we make so damn much of it. Unfortunatly, if even one kettle gets scorched or the smell of over-cooked popcorn immediatly over powers any fresh-popped smells... and the customers notice every time.

Otherwise there is no subliminal advertising. Our in-theater music network advertises our concessions, as do pre-show slides, but that is far from subliminal.

adios,
Steve

For example: This past halloween I ran a weekend special showing of The Blair Witch Project. The cost to rent the print for two nights was $150, with no money going back to the studios. Whatever we made at the box office, we kept. I then had to keep my theater open for three extra hours each night to run the movie. I had one concessionist, one (union) projectionist and two other managers for each night. Even at $5 a ticket, we were barely able to recoup the rental cost. We made even less in concession sales.

Could be just me being stupid here, but wouldn't it have made sense to run the movie on a screen while the theatre would've been open anyway? Then your overheads would've dropped considerably. Not that I'm trying to tell you how to run your business... I couldn't do it for shit :)

But it really does seem to me that if its the prevalence of big budget blockbusters that are the problem, then don't you need to try to promote the smaller films and exploit that audience for more than you do?

What annoys me most, are people who laugh or giggle at scenes that aren't meant to be funny, but just "weird" in a way...

Kids, dirty facilities (e.g. sticky floor, chewing gum on seat, etc.), dodgy sound levels (e.g. too quiet, too loud, shitty EQ-ing), mobile phones.

..and the fact that cherry coke never wins the coca-cola race! :X

this discussion is on its way all the way off the tracks....

but i really dont enjoy questioners, the loud questioners that want to know 'who he is' 'whats he doing' 'why is he going in there' alllll the way through. watch and find out you fuckhead, youre worse than a three year old asking why every two minutes

ya, I got the 6 year old questioner at "return of the king". Aprerently, hes been making the rounds. The worst part was, most of his questions were "what time is it?"

...kids today!

i worked at a regal cinemas for three years, ranging from usher to concessionist, to cafe, to box, and finally projectionist (although i was never actually "trained"...they just kinda threw me up there). our money is made on concession sales. ticket sales barely cover the price of the reels. and a movie can be about 3-4 reels.= expensive as HELL. when people complained about the prices i would always try to joke with them like.. "thats why i work here.." or "that's why i wear big pants when i come in to see something." it would usually lighten the mood and if they were cool i'd usually throw something extra in. LOL. on large drinks we were not supposed to give refills EVER. so when someone would come up with an empty large, we'd be like... "did you spill it? are you sure you didn't spill your drink?? cause we can refill it if you splilt it.." you'd be surprised how many didn't catch on and just walked away. it was always easy to cheat the theater out of a couple a bucks and make the customer happy. that was my goal and since i knew the difference between the price of what we bought (cups, bags, seeds etc..) and what we sold them as, i really had no problem giving stuff away sometimes. but only if they weren't all bitchy and rude.

and always always always complain if someone is botherin you. seriously. it's the highlight of the usher's day to get to kick someone out.

I don't know if you sorted out the "bringing your own nutrients question", but this is my oppinion towards that:
If you really dislike the products sold at the theatre, so badly that you wouldn't buy it anyway, then it is okay to bring your own stuff. But if you're just a tightwad, and don't want to spend a little extra, then stay the fuck home.

The thing that really annoys me at theaters, is people (often small groups of smalltime villains) who deliberately fucks up your evening, shouting and jumping around acting like mad monkeys. I really hate those suckers.

-Psyko

Lingo said:
Well, if you wanna get down to brass tacks, it's the CONSUMER that is forcing the prices to be so high. The more money they spend to make movies, the more money they have to charge to break even.

cake and eat it? you can't cry "market forces" to blame consumers for high ticket prices then criticise them for seeking lower snack prices in the same free market...

alasdair

I've never really understood the phrase "You want to have your cake and eat it too." God damn right I do, why would I get the slice of cake in the first place if I knew I wasn't gonna be able to eat it. I just wanted to look at it, it was such a pretty peice of cake. :p

I agree with the previously mentioned annoyances.

Also, I hate the "stand-up comedians" that use laser pointers and try to make funny comments during the show.

The people that narrate a movie are pretty annoying too (ie: "Oh NO he didn't! Don't go in there, You KNOW that Jason is going to kill you! AHHHHHHH!" *screams*) :X

*BUMP*

So the theatre experience has undergone some pretty drastic changes in the five years since this thread started. Prices are still rising, but not as drastically as before. Some theatres are providing healthier alternatives to popcorn, nachos and soda. Some theatres are providing more expensive alternatives to popcorn, nachos and soda. 3D films and Imax are a bigger draw now than ever before, and ticket prices have been adjusted accordingly.

Then there are still the crying babies, the cell phones, the laser pointers etc etc... and my response to those complaints is just the same now as it was five years ago. Find an usher or a manager and voice your concerns in a calm and rational fashion... and don't be afraid to ask for a raincheck or a concession comp for your troubles.

Price of tickets. Fuckin eh, when did theatres start charging $7.50+ for 1 ticket!? It's no wonder movies bring in millions of dollars on opening days! It's completely understandable when you're charging such outrageous prices like this!!
lol That's like a matinee here. Cheaper maybe.

I saw Ponyo the other day and there was this cinema was practically empty aside from this kid running up and down the aisles and jumping up and down on the seats. I don't think he looked at the screen once. Meanwhile his fat bitch of a mother just sat there guzzling popcorn.

I hate it when the theater is so packed that I have to sit in the front row. It gives me a nasty headache and bugs my neck to be 9 feet from the screen having to look up.

Other people. I would prefer to sit in a completely empty cinema, save for anyone else i'm with. In fact, that would be awesome. I even hate hearing other people say they like the atmosphere a busy cinema creates.

The worst part is people eating. Can you honestly not go 1.5-3 hours without eating? Drinking I can understand and tolerate, to a generous extent anyway. Just accept that your litre o'cola has finished and stop that gurgling noise at the bottom. Take off the farking lid and tip it into your mouth if you're so desperate to get every stale tasting drop of sugar water possible.

Good thing there's a large and modern cinema complex not far from me that seems to be almost completely dead on Monday and Wednesday nights, so I know where to go for my yearly cinema fix.