• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

The Temazepam conundrum

gh0stmAn

Bluelighter
I sometimes take restoril (aka Temazepam) at night to help me sleep. When I haven't taken temazepam in awhile and then take it one night, 90-120mgs will make me sleep/go into black-out mode. Even with no benzo tolerance anything lower then 90mgs will have almost no effect what-so-ever on me. But the weird thing is that after that first night or two of taking temazepam & it working good on the 3rd and 4th night on even 120mgs will not make me go to sleep or even cause a black-out (amnesia). I have never come across a benzo like this that literally only works for about 2 to 3 nights in a row and after that the same doses literally have almost no effect besides slight feelings of relaxation and no inhibition. But beyond that I don't black out, don't forget anything and it doesn't even make me tired.

Why does temazepam only work for about 2 or 3 nights in a row and then after that tolerance has grown to the point that even doses of 120mgs have almost no effect... And its weird sense I've read so many other threads about people saying Temazepam is the their favorite benzo, I on the other hand think it is one of the worst and weakest ones out there after the 3rd or 4th night of consecutive use.

I don't think Temazepam works very well for insomnia, at least in my opinion. I'm a stubborn sleeper, I've been on a variety of meds to put me to sleep and Temazepam is not a successful one. I was on the lowest dose at first then quickly increased to the max dose. I would take doses upwards of 90 & 120mg just like you, because anything lower hadn't put me to sleep. Even the high doses didn't do anything.

It's crazy because I know Temazepam to have a lengthy half life so I'm surprised it doesn't knock me out for the night. I will say that I was switched to Lunesta (1mg) and it knocked me out before I knew it. Highly recommend it. I'm currently back on Klonopin as I was in the past for my insomnia and combating my anxiety as well.

I think the issue is the misrepresentation of sleeping pills efficacy. I believe studiesnconsistantly show very small differences vs placebo 15 -30 minutes with questionable efficacy beyond 2 weeks yet, the consumer is led to believe a flying green moth will knock you out cold

Please provide sources for that and specify which sleeping pills (there are various kinds), talking about benzos and z-drugs I think instead the effect of the drug alone and that of placebo are limited, but put together they produce a reasonable and clinically relevant efficacy. Similar for benzo hypnotics and nonbenzodiazepines. But that doesn't mean it works for everyone. They do for me.

Don't use any of these for prolonged periods or a lot of days in a row anyway. The tolerance is a real problem, not only for limiting efficacy but also producing dependency.

Can't really say why it doesn't or stops working for you... Those doses mentioned are really big.

If it doesn't work and the Z-drugs don't either, maybe an antihistamine is better suited - although not really pleasant and more drowsy making than something else, but safer. Often insomnia is a symptom of something else and it's much better to focus attention on working on that.

I find that with any given benzo my tolerance increases exponentially if I redose within 24 hours.

I don't think this is normal, but the obvious answer is that they effect everybody differently.

I think the issue is the misrepresentation of sleeping pills efficacy. I believe studiesnconsistantly show very small differences vs placebo 15 -30 minutes with questionable efficacy beyond 2 weeks yet, the consumer is led to believe a flying green moth will knock you out cold

If that was the case then we wouldn't see so many threads about 'fake' benzos or a varying of quality between batches of the same pill / same vendor etc. If you had read the thread correctly you will see that the OP states his meds work for a few days and then stop working - if the studies you are suggesting are correct then this wouldn't be the case.