• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Tattoo Megathread vs. Tramp Stamp

She wouldn't know.

I have a few tattoos discreetly placed on my upper thigh. I got them in April 2013, right before my dad died. Shortly thereafter, I started school.
My classmates and I were all talking about tattoos at lunch one day, and I told them about mine. There was a classmate who had a lot of tattoos and she said, " Really? I'm surprised. You don't seem like a tattoo person.":

Umm, do you have a question or a point to this thread?

Sorry to hear about your fathers passing, what tat did you get done?

new pointillism tattoo
VF9bxDb.jpg

by miahwaska

it looks very nice
a bit big for my tastes for a girl, but so what eh.
also im curious as to how this will keep/fade...

Scubagirl200, nice tattoo.

it looks very nice

Lol I've got 12 massive tattoos n I'm female :D

Evey

it looks very nice
Thanks! It was also a surprise to myself to get such a big piece, but I absolutely love it! It's the first one I have I feel is a true work of art...now I'm also curious about how it'll keep/fade haha :)
Scubagirl200, nice tattoo.
Lol I've got 12 massive tattoos n I'm female :D

Evey
Thanks Evey! 12 massive ones? I wanna see!
beautiful.

alasdair
Thank you, alasdair <3

new pointillism tattoo

by miahwaska

Great tattoo! :)

... So, I had the Metallica tattoo design drawn up that I linked above & I like it but with my appointment getting closer I decided I should perhaps go for something smaller & more neutral for my first tattoo, then after I've had that a while, will maybe go for the Metallica one if I still want to.

I'd been thinking along the lines of a celtic tattoo on my upper arm/shoulder & had come across this design online:

Still trying to figure out what the meaning of a tattoo like that is exactly, obviously the symbolism is a bird & a knot. I'm not sure what kind of bird it is so it's hard to know what it would mean, perhaps they have a meaning generically but yet to suss it out. I think knots in general are to do with interconnectedness of life & eternity. I'm not sure if having the knot in a circle symbolizes something too.

*edit* - Shit. Just realised I have a mole on the right shoulder where I want it... it pretty flat but my understanding is a good tattoo artist won't go over them & it's not something you should do anyway. Mole removal ain't cheap so I guess I'll have to go for my left shoulder/arm. Bit annoying because my right arm has a little more size to it so it would have looked better there.

I have a couple of tiny cherry angioma / campbell de morgan spots but I don't think they'll be an issue, anyone have tattoos over these things?:

Last edited:
^ from personal experience I can say that you can tattoo over just about any kind of skin blemish without repercussion. I have a full sleeve on my right arm and many others elsewhere. at least 5 large freckles are covered by my sleeve, as well as scars of all kinds, the tiny red dot should pose no threat.

protruding moles/cysts do pose a small issue, just for aesthetic reasons. but if the tattoo has to be there, the tattooer can make it happen.

I like this thread.. Love how it started and where it is now, especially being a cpl years old!!

Anywho..

I have my fair share of tatts, diff sizes, diff locations (neck, mid-back/shoulder blade, feet, 1/2 sleeve, my right side, on my chest behind my ear, and on my face)

All my tatts have meaning in one way or another. My very first one was on my 18th bday. It's a small lil one, that one of my older sisters bf drew, before he commited suicide. We all got the same drawing, just in diff colors.
From there, I got my god daughters name on my neck (Mac I'm a banner over a rose. Her name is Mackenzie rose)
My god sons tat on my side. He passed away at 4 and LOVED his dump trucks. So I got a tonka truck, spilling blocks with his name in the sky above and diet below his dates.
On my feet are my daughters nb prints and her name. Looks like she is dancing on my feet (my favorite most of all)
My 1/2 sleeve was a wedding present from my hubby. It's a sheriff pig (for my dad) with a frog jumping on lilys (for my mom) with a sunset back ground and heart with wings for my brother who passed. At the top says 'hoodie, gras, semper' *today, tomorrow, forever*
I have a heart locket on my chest and my hubby has the matching key wrapping his wrist
Behind my ear is the Star of David and Sara I'm Hebrew for my bestie
Then last but not least, I have 4-3 leaf clovers on my face for my family (hubby, 2 daughters and me).
My husband on the over hand is a walking canvas..

But what I also wanted to say, when picking out the handful I have, before I started. I looked to figure out what spoke to me. Not a drawing or tribal, but the actual style.
My husband is more traditional (pin up girls, ship, koi ect) and I call my self a toys r us kid, I like the colorful cartoony stuff.
Once I figured out what spoke to me, I found an artist that I liked his colors and art work. I walked in, said I have an idea, what can we do? He said well depends how much freedom u give me
I started with my god sons tat with him.. Said I want a tonka truck, the more lil boy the better. He was stoked saying he has never done a dump truck..
Next time, he said 'full freedom?' I handed him a list of stuff I wanted for my half sleeve, said have fun, be back in a week. And was so blown away.
Now when i come in, he gets stoked, cuz he knows it's gonna be unique, fun but put there. He is currently sketching my right sleeve for my daughter. It's a pretty kick ass idea, so once it's done, I'll share.. Don't want anyone stealing my idea ;) ;)

And prices, someone mentioned. Depends on the artist, the time, the detail ect..my guy usually charges $100 an hr, but since my husband and I have been going to him for years and I refer so many 'virgins' to him, he charges half that for our tats.
He has the lightest hand ever and his colors stick beautifully! So I send ppl who are getting their first ones to him ;)

That's my novel! Sorry it was so long ;)

i love tattoos! i find them as a form of art + expression, not terrible decisions that will be regretted.... well.... ok maybe not all of them 8)
anyway, don't have for myself yet, but i do plan on it in the near future! i'm in the process of designing a very specific tattoo for my wrist. small, yet complex.