• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Small & Friendly Firearms Thread v. Granddad's Garand

I said purse or holster, depends on preference and the situation. As for a revolver, it's not just about females, I've carried both, I would generally consider the revolver better for quick reaction. Here in NYC I don't have a carry permit which is practically impossible to get, I have only a permit for my home and to carry in a lock box to and from the range, etc. I keep my Beretta by my bedside with one in the chamber and the safety on. Carrying a semiautomatic around or even having it by my bedstand in condition zero is not the safest thing. Anyway, it's a matter of training yourself, if you've got the muscle memory down pat it doesn't matter what you're using, but if you're a novice I'd definitely recommend a revolver. I think my phrasing was unfortunate, I don't mean to say that women need different standards just because of their sex.

I figured you probably didn't. It's just that recommending revolvers for women is a bit of a stereotype. I'm generally of the opinion that you shouldn't be a novice if you're going to carry. Concealed carry is a great option for self defense, but like any of the options for personal self defense, it's a commitment and a responsibility. I don't think people should go buy a gun, get a permit, start carrying and have barely invested any time or energy into learning and training to properly use it. A gun is a tool, carrying a gun will not make you safer. You will make you safer, a gun is just a tool that helps you accomplish that goal. Just using a gun requires a small investment in safety. Carrying for personal protection safely and effectively is a much bigger investment. As an example, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a gun for protection unless they can honestly say to themselves that if god forbid something happened, that they'd be willing to use it. Otherwise it's nothing but a liability.

Condition zero doesn't apply for all semiautos. For example, there's nothing wrong keeping or carrying a glock or similar design with a round chambered. That's not what condition zero refers to. The condition numbering system was devised with da/sa semiautomatic handguns in mind. E.g. You wouldn't keep a 1911 or Beretta 92fs in condition zero, that most certainly is unsafe. It's a matter of trigger pull and design. It doesn't apply to a glock anymore than it applies to a revolver.

I still think carrying purse carry is stupid, and often unsafe. I feel it's unsafe at the very least if it's not a purse designed for carrying a handgun. You dont carry a handgun without a holster, period. If you must purse carry and I can't think of any justifiable reason that it would be your only choice, it must be designed for that purpose or in my opinion it's unsafe. It's stupid because a purse is a target for theft and snatching to begin with. It's the last place you should keep your gun for self defense. Say someone goes for your purse, ok probably not YOUR purse, but a hypothetical woman's purse. The best course of action in the interests of your personal safety is to let the attacker take the purse and get some distance between you and them. But if you have a gun in your purse, that option becomes seriously compromised. You can sacrifice the purse, but now they're armed and you're not. You can struggle to keep the purse, but you at higher risk of injury. Or worst of all, you can go for the gun, now the assailant not only might injure you or worse, but has motivation too. The likelihood of someone winding up dead is far greater than if you had no gun at all. And this is a physical confrontation, your average purse snatcher is male, and on average stronger than your average female purse owner. A big part of the reason I think women especially should be allowed to carry guns is because in a physical fight, you're most likely at a disadvantage. Purse carry is an unnecessary liability and that's why I dont support it.

Personally it's my opinion that a semiauto is overall better for women. While the idea women are too stupid to use a semiauto is of course complete crap, it is however true that women are in general less physically strong than men. A good concealable semiauto is likely to be lighter than its revolver counterpart, on the whole less likely to get caught on anything like clothing, can have a much lighter trigger pull, both things that make it better suited for women. The only thing some women might have initial trouble with is manipulating the slide, and that's purely a matter of proper technique. Unless you're physically disabled in some way, I doubt virtually anyone lacks the strength to manipulate the slide on any ordinary pistol provided they're using a good technique. I consider a small glock ideal and a 9mm glock was what I owned back when I owned a gun. There's lots of other equally ideal options of course, and plenty of other options based on personal preference that are still certainly good enough. And a revolver will always be superior if your number one concern is reliability. But a properly maintained glock or similar with good ammunition is still extremely reliable.

Last edited:
Good post/good points, I think you're mostly spot on here, and special thanks for contributing and starting to get this thread going. Nothing beats a solid revolver for reliability but you're right a properly maintained quality semiautomatic is solid too. I love disassembling, cleaning, reassembling my Beretta (M9), it's kind of a meditative thing. I had to chose one handgun here and I chose it as I had prior experience with it, it was between that and probably a S&W 357 or something like that, but I went with the larger semiauto because concealed carry was not an issue, it's reliable, pretty simple, 15 round mags, etc. Got it for self defense when one of my more dangerous "students" actually wound up moving into my building. Now just usually use it at the range for fun and to keep my skills up.

Last edited:
I haven't ever even considered keeping a gun for self defence except when I had some PTSD issues lingering. I am lucky to live in a country in which one doesn't need a gun to feel safe. That being said I do have a lot of guns.

My newest addition is Tikka T3 Tactical .308:
28jxq80.jpg

Before painting

14xzb0n.jpg

After applying paint and lacquer with airbrush

I also have Glock G36C and G19, H&K MP5 and G36EV tooled into semi-auto only which is funny considering I have drum magazine for G36EV :)

Also I have some 12 gauges which don't have maker (been in the family for a while) and Mossberg Maverick 88.

I would love to get my hands on FN SCAR with all the goodies.

Anyone here have a good recommendation for a push dagger for personal defense? I don't have an arm and a leg to shell out but would like something sturdy and not a POS.