Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

enigmaticfreak

Ex-Bluelighter
I don't know where to begin...this is from the great Spanish director who did Talk To Her and Bad Education, and Volver, all good movies, but this film The Skin I Live In is his best to date. I was shocked, repulsed, fascinated, and just shook to my core with this beautifuly shot film about...welll....there's no way to explain it. Just witness it and get back with me. It came on DVD today. I am not easily offended but this flick just got to me, and I couldn't help but just run with the whole insane idea of it.

^ Some people are turned off by subtitles and lack of descriptions. :p

I think the premise for the film sounds interesting--Basically a doctor invents a "tough skin" to prevent harm to the human body because that's how his wife died, or something. I read a synopsis a few hours back and that's what I got out of it. This film has most def been added to the top of my list of movies to watch, as it was listed as being among those liked by people who liked Requiem for a Dream and American Beauty.

Trust me this movie digs way deeper than the summary. Thank God they didn't give away all the juicy secrets. I gurantee you that you will not stop watching it, you may walk away not liking it, but it's a must see. I loved it!

And the subtitles really don't even matter, I mean you forget about them th e movie is so damn good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it when it was back in theaters (US - NYC). Enjoyed it but the story became too over the top for me by the very end. Worth checking out for the acting and direction alone, though.

Cheers

Thanks to this thread I rented this one. I give it maybe 8.5/10. It's got this lush, sleek, and shiny aesthetic thing going on (even the nastiest locales and objects in the movie look ... "premium"). The horror of the film is confined mostly to the psychological level. There's no gore or jumps but it's twisted in a way that still hits your guts. I really liked the wild approach taken to progress the story (e.g. there's a "furry" assault that seems a bit artsy/bonkers, but symbolically justifies itself in spades as the story "fleshes" itself out). There's quite a bit of recursion in the themes, too, especially in the exploration of sexual and gender identity, which makes for decent intellectual stimulation. It's a bit short on the emotional end -- with the only really fully sympathetic characters dead or largely undeveloped -- and melodramatic to an extent that I imagine will transgress credulity for some, but for me its originality and other strengths made it more than worth the strain.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread I rented this one. I give it maybe 8.5/10. It's got this lush, sleek, and shiny aesthetic thing going on (even the nastiest locales and objects in the movie look ... "premium"). The horror of the film is confined mostly to the psychological level. There's no gore or jumps but it's twisted in a way that still hits your guts. I really liked the wild approach taken to progress the story (e.g. there's a "furry" assault that seems a bit artsy/bonkers, but symbolically justifies itself in spades as the story "fleshes" itself out). There's quite a bit of recursion in the themes, too, especially in the exploration of sexual and gender identity, which makes for decent intellectual stimulation. It's a bit short on the emotional end -- with the only really fully sympathetic characters dead or largely undeveloped -- and melodramatic to an extent that I imagine will transgress credulity for some, but for me its originality and other strengths made it more than worth the strain.

You sir, have a very nice way of putting words together to express yourself.