Votes: 9 32.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Thou

Bluelighter
Granted I've only managed to obtain bits and pieces of information on this one, but it's been a long time coming and I'll be sure to update with any new information that happens to grace my doorstep.
I've been waiting for this one since I first read the damn thing in 2000.

The Rum Diary is a forthcoming film based on Hunter S. Thompson's novel, adapted and directed by Bruce Robinson and currently in pre-production. It will star Johnny Depp, Richard Jenkins, Amber Heard, and Aaron Eckhart. Both the book and the film are set in the late 1950s and tell the story of an American expatriate journalist named Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp), who moves from New York to work for a small newspaper, The Daily News, in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Cast:
Johnny Depp as Paul Kemp, a washed-up, hard-drinking journalist.
Amber Heard as Chenault, the free-spirited girlfriend of a fellow journalist who gets involved with Kemp, trying to convince him to run away with her. Heard beat out the likes of Scarlett Johansson and Keira Knightley who were vying for the female lead opposite Depp. However, the role calls for a considerable amount of nudity which may have given some actresses reservations about the part.
Aaron Eckhart as Sanderson, a wealthy landowner who introduces Kemp to a different standard of living.
Richard Jenkins as Lotterman, the man who oversees the newspaper where Kemp works.
Giovanni Ribisi as Moburg.

Loosely based on Hunter S. Thompson's experiences working as a freelance journalist in Puerto Rico in the late 1950s, Thompson wrote The Rum Diary when he was 22-years-old in 1959 but it was not published until 1998. The film version has been in development hell since 2000 when actor Johnny Depp first tried to make it into a film. Independent production company Shooting Gallery and SPi Films optioned the book and announced plans to make the film in 2000, with Depp set to star and executive produce. Nick Nolte was also set to co-star. The project never went past the pre-production phase and actors Benicio Del Toro and Josh Hartnett came close to making their own version with a new producer in 2002 but it too never got past the pre-production phase. In late 2003, Del Toro planned make his directorial debut with The Rum Diary, but the project languished through Thompson's February 2005 suicide.

In 2007, Warner Independent Pictures and Graham King’s GK Films agreed to finance the film with Bruce Robinson adapting the book and directing. Depp was originally scheduled to make the film after completing Mira Nair's adaptation of Shantaram but that project was halted due to the writers' strike.

Filming began on March 25th in Puerto Rico.

I've been waiting for this for years :D Thompson +Robinson is a great combination, I can't believe they've actually started filming!

i like the cast. i'm actually pleased to see that there's no Scarlett Johansson or Keira Knightley

johnny-depprumdiary.jpg

It's been in development hell for several years now, word is they just started filming recently. I look forward to it, it's not a master piece like fear and loathing, but does have lots of funny bits. A totally alcohol based movie with crazy hijinx in a carribean hell hole sounds awesome. Thompson might have inflated his drug use when he wrote but his drinking is legendary and he had an obvious problem (beating up his mother, wife) I think fear and loathing really glossed over the alcohol.

The thought of Johnny Depps montone Thompson impression narrating over everything gets me hard.

Last edited:
Granted its been a long time since I read the book, I dont remember it being a very "screen worthy" kinda story but shit that wont stop me from pay $20 to see this in theaters. It wasn't a bad read at all, and you can't go wrong with Depp playing Thompson.

Agreed, LoveAlways. I never thought they'd make a movie of this one. Though, there are several rollicking drunken scenes that always inspire laughter; I dont know if it will pay homage that Beast of a man. Always thought the Elko story in either Kingdom of Fear or Songs of the Doomed would be a hell of a short film. Thompson barreling the Red Shark into a heard of dying sheep at 100MPH in a RAINSTORM and then into a drunken rampage with Justice Clarence Thomas; now thats a hell of a picture.

I dont think it will be as good as fear and loathing but hell I will definatly see it.

Agreed. I'd like to see all of Hunter S. Thompson's work translated into film, including his lesser works like The Rum Diary and The Curse of Lono.

Even if it's not as brilliant source material as Fear and Loathing was, it will still most likely beat the shit out of practically everything else that is coming out these days as far as I'm concerned.

I think Fear and Loathing was just one of his more over the top stories. I'm sure HST fans would love to see more films made. Personally, I think a Hells Angels movie would be pretty interesting.

All things aside, Depp plays a great Thompson

Fear and Loathing is a classic film now. They did a pretty decent job if you ask me.

Maybe the rum diary will do the same

Gonzo: the Life and Times of Hunter S. Thompson and Breakfast With Hunter were excellent.

Anything about (and certainly by) the Good Doctor seems bound to greatness.

Last edited:
^Agreed.

It's a shame. This novel is good, but not great. His journalism coverage was always his best material (besides his correspondance, which would not transfer well to this medium).

I was talking with the proprietor of the local bookshop, this cat knows his stuff. I mentioned the movie to him, and he spoke on a relative level to my views about. He discussed, and I agreed, that Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail (sp?) would make a far better movie, but it's journalism, so everyone involved would claim royalties or just outright refuse to participate (as retired politicians are prone to do).

It's a shame, I'd love to see a film like that.

Just started listening to the audiobook version of the Rum Diaries. Enjoying it so far. :)

Jebus, is this thing ever going to get made?

He discussed, and I agreed, that Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail (sp?) would make a far better movie, but it's journalism, so everyone involved would claim royalties or just outright refuse to participate (as retired politicians are prone to do).

It sort of was a movie, if I'm not mistaken. Bill Murray in "Where the Buffalo Roam".