Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Role LSD Has Played In My Spiritual Development, by Albert Hofmann

mr peabody

Bluelight Crew
albert-hofmann-auf-einer.jpg

After my first experiences with LSD, the question arose for me: Which is true, the picture of the world as we perceive it with our everyday consciousness, or the overwhelming image we perceive under the influence of entheogens?

This caused me to analyze what we know about the mechanism of perceiving reality.

Perception presupposes a subject that perceives, and the object that is perceived. In human relations the subject that perceives is the individual human being, more exactly his consciousness, and the object perceived is the outer material world.

It is of the greatest importance to be aware of the fundamental fact that the outer world consists objectively of nothing more than matter and energy.

In order to make conspicuous the mechanism of our experiencing reality, I have chosen a metaphor from television. The material world functions as transmitter, emanates optical, acoustical, gustatory, olfactory, and tactile signals that are received by the antennae, by our sensory organs, eyes, ears, tongue, nose, and skin and are conducted from there to the corresponding center in the brain to the receiver. There these energetic and material signals are transformed into the spiritual phenomena of seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, and touching. One does not know how this transformation of material and energetic impulses into the psychic dimension of perception takes place. It includes the mystery of the connection between the material and the spiritual world.

The transmitter-receiver metaphor of reality makes evident that the picture of the outer world comes into existence inside, in the consciousness of the individual.

This fundamental fact signifies that the screen on which the colorful world is perceived is not in the outer but in the inner space of every human being. There are no colors, no sounds, no taste, no odors in the outer world. Everyone carries within himself his own personal image of the world, an image created by his private receiver. There is no common screen outside. This makes us fully aware of the cosmogenic (world-creating) power invested in every human.

Before making use of these considerations to explain the ability of LSD and the other entheogens to change the experience of reality, our knowledge about the essence of consciousness must be reviewed.

Consciousness defies a scientific definition and explanation; for it is what is needed to contemplate what consciousness is. It can only be circumscribed as being the receptive and creative center of the spiritual ego, which has the faculties of perceiving, thinking, and feeling, and which is the seat of memory.

It is of fundamental importance to be aware of how consciousness originates and develops.

The newborn human possesses solely the faculty of perceiving — possesses, or more correctly, is this mystic nucleus of life. He owns — to use again the metaphor of television — a blank videocassette, where the incoming stimuli from the outer world are transformed into images and sensations that can then be stored in the memory, providing the groundwork for thinking. Without these signals from outside, no consciousness could develop.

There is common consent that the evolution of mankind is paralleled by the increase and expansion of consciousness. From the described process of how consciousness originates and develops, it becomes evident that its growth depends on its faculty of perception.

Therefore every means of improving this faculty should be used.

The characteristics of entheogens, and their faculty to improve sensory perception, makes them inestimable aids in the process of expanding consciousness.

It was LSD, the most potent entheogen, that, to use Blake’s famous line, cleansed my doors of perception and made me see everything as it is, infinite.

In my childhood I experienced spontaneously some of those blissful moments when the world appeared suddenly in a new brilliant light, and I had the feeling of being included in its wonder and indescribable beauty. These moments remained in my memory as extraordinary experiences of untold happiness, but only after the discovery of LSD did I grasp their meaning and existential importance.

As mentioned at the beginning of this short essay, it was my experiences with LSD that caused me to think about the essence of reality. The insights I received, as described, increased my astonishment about the wonder of existence, of which we become conscious in enlightened moments.

Last edited:
cool
the use of the term spiritual, in context of sensory receiver, in the above, is very satisfactory to me.

God and spiritual are dirty words. It seems everybody craft their own definition in order to suit their personal agendas. It could be to ease existential vertigo, explain the world, justify moral codes or worse, to control others.

The way spiritual is used by Hoffmann in his essay is my favorite, spirit = consciousness. And for me, consciousness is the product of elaborate neuronal networks; the brain is not a receiver of consciousness at large or anything like that.

Psychedelics turned me into a convinced atheist, following pretty much the same logical train of thought Hoffmann describes here. Very interesting reading!

Thanks Mr. Peabody (by the way, I live just north of Frostbite Falls in Frozen Butthole, Canada)

exactly Llew, not a receiver of consciousness, but a receiver of sensations on each channel, a mixer, an associator, a resolver, a resonator.