• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The ridiculous profitability of illegal drugs, in one chart

It's hard for growers to make much money at 2000 a pound. I don't see how you could do it where i live, at least with HPS lights, without stealing electricity.

Yea, I agree. It requires quite a lot of space and electricity to churn out a pound of weed indoors, and $2,000/lb would be a pittance. I'm no weed tiller, but I'd reckon a pound indoors requires a minimum of 4-6 plants (for most varieties or strains, anyway) grown at optimum conditions and with advanced techniques. I could very well be no more off the mark than if I tried; I'm more of a greenhorn than a green thumb in this area of expertise.

I'd surmise high-grade cannabis could reasonably sell for $4,000-$5,000 per lb in most places in the States. I had only used that $2,000 figure as a low estimate to illustrate the point that even a pound of exceptionally cheap, high quality weed is still equal to or greater in price than a kilogram (2.2× the weight) of either the purest cocaine in Peru or unadulterated heroin in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

^ Here we go again comparing the price of cannabis in a very select (not to mention expensive) geographic location to the price of hard drugs in the region(s) where they are almost exclusively produced and at their cheapest, surely you can see that this is a misguided and/or disingenuous comparison?

What your theory blatantly fails to account for is that any specific market for cannabis, which is produced domestically on an essentially worldwide scale, is not directly comparable to the virtually exclusive geographic production regions of hard drugs. There are many regions where cannabis prices are a fraction of what you have cited, yet you choose to compare these inflated market prices to the cheapest market prices for hard drugs.

You could easily grow a pound indoor with one or two plants, I am certain that many worldwide who grow for personal use would employ such a grow strategy to either stay within their prescribed legal amount, or to avoid a plant count that could designate them as drug traffickers in their less understanding locale. However, the more plants in any given space means less time on an 18/6 veg cycle (more expensive electricity wise) and a quicker turnaround for the same quantity of cannabis.

I think 2,000 a pound would be cheap for indoor grown weed in any Western market, as I mentioned in my previous post it would be ridiculous to compare the value or yield of cannabis grown indoors with expensive grow equipment to any crop grown by poor farmers in a third World Country. However, it neither requires much space or electricity to do so. A competent grower should easily yield half a gram per watt, which means they should exceed a pound for every 1000W bulb, which would generally be placed in a space as small as 1.2-1.4 metre squared so long as the space is adequately ventilated. The cost for running such a set up would not be significant in terms of what cannabis is worth in a Western market, I know people who pay almost 30 Aussie cents per kilowatt hour who run elaborate set ups without paying an exorbitant sum for electricity.

You keep comparing low quality weed to high quality hash, it is as though you do not understand that the quality of the initial cannabis is generally the major factor in how much hash you will yield from the product. Using your examples, it would probably take 5-7 grams of low quality cannabis buds worth 3 dollars per gram to create a single gram of hashish worth 15-25 dollars in its destination market. This renders the idea that selling poor quality buds is a less economical proposition than selling hash as false, especially when you consider that those who are both cultivating the buds and making hashish out of them are not the ones selling the product for 15-25 dollars a gram in a Western market.

Last edited:
^ Here we go again comparing the price of cannabis in a very select (not to mention expensive) geographic location to the price of hard drugs in the region(s) where they are almost exclusively produced and at their cheapest, surely you can see that this is a misguided and/or disingenuous comparison?

Dude, please. You're coming off far too serious and hostile for my palate. Relax! I am just trying to have a nice, cordial discussion here. It's laborious enough to indict a typo-free, grammatical, and logically cogent comment whilst sedated with 4 mg triazolam, 2 shots of Cognac, some chloral hydrate, roughly 1.5 g cannabis, and a 60 mg of nitromethaqualone running around my brain. Can you please—pretty please, with Mandrax on top and liberally sprinkled with flunitrazepam—not be so seemingly pugnacious and quarrelsome? Please...bro?

OK, on to the discussion, forthwith!

You're missing the point, you see? My intention was to illustrate how relatively expensive high-quality cannabis (which is scantily present in developing nations and far more prevalent in wealthier states) is for a domestically produced drug. The comparison is not disingenuous, instead you've simply confused yourself about what it is I am even comparing. The highest quality, kindest buds on the planet don't come from some isolated, impoverished, and dilapidated country. Rather it grows in exurbs or the inner-city of a Western metropolis, like Vancouver, Durban, San Francisco, NYC, Manchester, Sydney, Auckland, Amsterdam, Münich, etc., not in Mogadishu, Faisalabad, Kandahar, or Dushanbe.

Likewise, the purest cocaine doesn't come from the West, but could reasonably be purchased from a black market broker in a cramped, unclean room within some motel—doubling as a nighttime house of ill-repute—tucked away in some nook within some seedy and sordid area within eyesight of the CBD's skyline of, say, La Paz, Lima, Medellin, Cali, or Cochabamba.

And the purest heroin is produced and found within 50km or less of Herat, Naypyidaw, Yangoon/Rangoon, Guwahati, Jalalabad, or Argatala.

To reiterate, the comparison is between the prices of domestically produced psychoatives as they (their prices) are in their regions of origin.

So if my comparison is of the domestic going rate of only the most superlative quality of each drug—cannabis, heroin, and cocaine—then how is it disingenuous or inappropriate to compare those aforementioned going rates as they are in their autochthonous environments? Can you explain?

What your theory blatantly fails to account for is that any specific market for cannabis, which is produced domestically on an essentially worldwide scale, is not directly comparable to the virtually exclusive geographic production regions of hard drugs. There are many regions where cannabis prices are a fraction of what you have cited, yet you choose to compare these inflated market prices to the cheapest market prices for hard drugs.

No, the real case was actually the obverse of your misled and ill-conceived accusation. I actually used the minimum price of a pound (454 g) of chronic—$2000USD—in its main regions of origin to the average cost of a kilogram (1,000 g) of cocaine and heroin in their countries of origin. If anything, I cheated in weed's favor and it still proved just as if not more expensive than pure coke or smack straight from the producer. Is the cost of a pound of kush really a fraction of what my $2000 cited figure? Well, lucky you! But your experience is irrelevant versus most consumers' experiences.

You could easily grow a pound indoor with one or two plants, I am certain that many worldwide who grow for personal use would employ such a grow strategy to either stay within their prescribed legal amount, or to avoid a plant count that could designate them as drug traffickers in their less understanding locale. However, the more plants in any given space means less time on an 18/6 veg cycle (more expensive electricity wise) and a quicker turnaround for the same quantity of cannabis.

Frankly, I find cannabis cultivation both insufferably cumbersome, inordinately time-consuming, and pathetically unprofitable. You're not speaking my languages, man. Lights? Veg-cycles? Plants per m²? You're no longer speaking a language I find interesting.

Uh, oh. I think I took too much of that nitromethaqualone. I don't feel well. I will resume this conversation tomorrow, I sweat to fuckijg Jesus. I need to lay down...namaste, and until next time!

Dude, please. You're coming off far too serious and hostile for my palate. Relax! I am just trying to have a nice, cordial discussion here. It's laborious enough to indict a typo-free, grammatical, and logically cogent comment whilst sedated with 4 mg triazolam, 2 shots of Cognac, some chloral hydrate, roughly 1.5 g cannabis, and a 60 mg of nitromethaqualone running around my brain. Can you please—pretty please, with Mandrax on top and liberally sprinkled with flunitrazepam—not be so seemingly pugnacious and quarrelsome? Please...bro?

I was pretty drunk when I posted last night, it wasn't my intention to come across as hostile or quarrelsome but I can see how you got that from my post, sorry about that.

You're missing the point, you see? My intention was to illustrate how relatively expensive high-quality cannabis (which is scantily present in developing nations and far more prevalent in wealthier states) is for a domestically produced drug. The comparison is not disingenuous, instead you've simply confused yourself about what it is I am even comparing. The highest quality, kindest buds on the planet don't come from some isolated, impoverished, and dilapidated country. Rather it grows in exurbs or the inner-city of a Western metropolis, like Vancouver, Durban, San Francisco, NYC, Manchester, Sydney, Auckland, Amsterdam, Münich, etc., not in Mogadishu, Faisalabad, Kandahar, or Dushanbe.

Likewise, the purest cocaine doesn't come from the West, but could reasonably be purchased from a black market broker in a cramped, unclean room within some motel—doubling as a nighttime house of ill-repute—tucked away in some nook within some seedy and sordid area within eyesight of the CBD's skyline of, say, La Paz, Lima, Medellin, Cali, or Cochabamba.

And the purest heroin is produced and found within 50km or less of Herat, Naypyidaw, Yangoon/Rangoon, Guwahati, Jalalabad, or Argatala.

To reiterate, the comparison is between the prices of domestically produced psychoatives as they (their prices) are in their regions of origin.

So if my comparison is of the domestic going rate of only the most superlative quality of each drug—cannabis, heroin, and cocaine—then how is it disingenuous or inappropriate to compare those aforementioned going rates as they are in their autochthonous environments? Can you explain?

It is disingenuous because there are considerably more places in the World where the going rate for a pound of cannabis is a fraction of what you have stated than there are places where it commands such a price. The market in California makes up a tiny percentage of the entire World's cannabis market, you are cherry picking the most expensive examples to make your point while failing to consider that a pound of weed is considerably cheaper in most of the World.

You say you are comparing the prices of "only the most superlative quality of each drug" but I don't understand how this is a fair or relevant comparison. Most heroin and cocaine are produced to a high quality, most cannabis is not. To only consider a small fraction of the entire cannabis market worthy of comparison is obviously not going to be representative of how profitable that market is as a whole.

No, the real case was actually the obverse of your misled and ill-conceived accusation. I actually used the minimum price of a pound (454 g) of chronic—$2000USD—in its main regions of origin to the average cost of a kilogram (1,000 g) of cocaine and heroin in their countries of origin. If anything, I cheated in weed's favor and it still proved just as if not more expensive than pure coke or smack straight from the producer. Is the cost of a pound of kush really a fraction of what my $2000 cited figure? Well, lucky you! But your experience is irrelevant versus most consumers' experiences.

It was you who posted a source stating that Afghanistan was the largest producer of cannabis on the globe, to view California as it's main region of origin because you don't want to consider anything but the highest quality is obviously going to paint a skewed picture with an artificially inflated price for cannabis.

I don't discount the credibility in the argument that there is an expensive market for high quality cannabis in some regions of the globe and this would have the obvious effect of pushing up the price if one were to calculate a Worldwide average. I just don't think this effect is as dramatic as you do, because in most of the World, including the regions that produce the most cannabis (like Afghanistan), cannabis is much, much cheaper than the prices you are stating. Failing to account for this is not cheating in weed's favour, it is actually doing the complete opposite.

I think the higher profitability of cannabis in relation to other drug crops comes mainly from the fact that there is considerably more yield of usable material out of a cannabis harvest in any given space, it also requires very little processing to be usable when compared to poppy and coca which need to have their active material extracted, and in the case of heroin it is processed even further after the active ingredient has been extracted.

I think what you are arguing clearly does have some impact on the high profitability of cannabis, I just think it is a minor consideration when compared to the two I just mentioned.

Last edited:
I have no recollection of having posted that comment or even having had this conversation with you, drug mentor . But checking my recent posts says I did, actually. It's a sign that, for me, typically indicates I had an eventful yesterday.

I do enjoy the anterograde amnesia accompanying the profligate use of CNS depressants (like nitromethaqualone, liquor, clonazepam, secobarital, and so forth). I think of the effect as being like a sort of forward-traveling pharmacologic time machine. If one doesn't like today, they can simply press the fast-forward button labeled "GABAA" in their brain and arrive at tomorrow in what appears to them to be no time at all. I confess that I've purposefully skipped at least enough days to make a year this way. You could say as a figure of speech that I'm habitually existentially truant.

I was pretty drunk when I posted last night, it wasn't my intention to come across as hostile or quarrelsome but I can see how you got that from my post, sorry about that.

Thanks. I'm always appreciable of a discussion's interlocutor's attempting of at least an affectation of a conciliatory tone or an amicable comportment. There are few activities quite as off-putting and mentally ennervating as participating in an internecine, caustic, or unnecessarily emotive discussion.

It is disingenuous because there are considerably more places in the World where the going rate for a pound of cannabis is a fraction of what you have stated than there are places where it commands such a price. The market in California makes up a tiny percentage of the entire World's cannabis market, you are cherry picking the most expensive examples to make your point while failing to consider that a pound of weed is considerably cheaper in most of the World.

I agree with the veracity or truth of your objection. Indeed, cannabis is usually less expensive than heroin or cocaine are within a given locality, not more expensive. However, it is not the factuality or truth of your objection that I disagree with, rather it's the applicability or pertinence of that objection to my argument that I find issue with.

For example, the statement "people are mammals" (hereinafter statement X) is incontrovertibly true and is a biological fact. But that indubitably factual statement X does not make for a logically coherent refutation of or response to the statement "dogs are not cats" (hereinafter statement Y). While the truth value of statement X is not changed or lessened, it still is patently invalid and fallacious if used as a retort to statement Y. In this example, statement X constitutes a non sequitur. In addition, it could also be an example of a straw man argument, because it might have resulted from a distorted or contorted version of statement Y, rather than simply poor argumentation.

Your objection would be appropriate and considerable if and only if the omphalos of my argument had been that the price of cannabis exceeds the prices of heroin or cocaine (either on average, as a rule, within the majority of the world's geographical realms and social milieus, etc). But that is not the omphalos of my argument, and therefore the gravamen of your objection is not appropriate nor logically valid as the two are mutually incompatible and irreconcilable.

My contention was, in point of fact, that the price of the world's highest quality cannabis exceeds the price of the world's highest quality heroin or cocaine (quality per dollar per kg) and had nothing to do with prices and qualities of these drugs as they are within the same geographical vicinity or on the basis of a specific location's markets. My argument was only about the global drug market, not about comparing local markets to one another. My argument was also about the typical wholesale cost(s) of only the highest quality of these drugs, and the geographical locations or particular local markets within which they occur is only coincidental.

It just so happens that the world's most potent weed is almost always grown and sold in Canada, America, Western Europe, and other wealthy and developed regions where expensive grow-ops are affordable and advanced growing information is readily accessible to the public. And it just so happens that Afghanistan makes the most abundant and least diluted heroin. And it just so happens that coca leaves grow well in the Amazon and that Colombia or Peru or Bolivia have the most abundant and least diluted cocaine.

Because the comparison of prices is between the world's highest quality of each drug in question, we must necessarily compare Western cannabis with SW Asian heroin and South American cocaine because those areas are, for whatever reason, where each drugs' highest quality is most readily, abundantly, typically, or in some cases exclusively found and sold.

You say you are comparing the prices of "only the most superlative quality of each drug" but I don't understand how this is a fair or relevant comparison.

It is relevant because it functions as an illustration of my hypothesis to account for why cannabis has a higher profit per km² than Papaver somniferum (including perhaps Papaver bracteatum which contains the alkaloid thebaine (like P. somniferum), which can be extracted and theoretically employed in the syntheses of so-called Bentley compounds) and coca. I care not if my comparison is fair, but factual.

Most heroin and cocaine are produced to a high quality, most cannabis is not.

Most heroin and cocaine may be manufactured with exceptional purity, but by the time they have migrated even as little as a few hundred kilometers from their point of origin, they have been traded between hundreds of intermediaries and the purity is less than 2/3rds what it was originally. By the time heroin, say, reaches the West, its potency has fallen even lower.

To only consider a small fraction of the entire cannabis market worthy of comparison is obviously not going to be representative of how profitable that market is as a whole.

This is merely frivolous pettifogging, at best. But I'm argumentative and patient enough to address it, nonetheless.

Here, you seem unaware of the fact that an equal or greater percentage of heroin and cocaine sold at the retail level directly to consumers is as low or lower in quality than most cannabis on the market. Most people in most areas of the world (outside the regions of origin of cocaine and heroin) have a substantially higher probability of finding cannabis with a quality (relative to the most potent cannabis that could possibly be sold) greater than that of both heroin or cocaine (relative to the highest conceivable purity of each). In simpler terms, the difference between the highest quality of weed sold in a particular city is closer to the highest quality of weed sold in any city than are the highest quality of cocaine or heroin sold in that city to the highest quality of cocaine or heroin sold in any city. That is to say, the best weed is better than both the best cocaine and best heroin in most cities not within the margins of the latter two drugs' production regions.

Moreover, while the highest quality weed is merely a fraction of all weed on the market, the highest quality cocaine is an even smaller fraction of its market than weed, and the highest quality heroin is a smaller fraction of its market than cocaine. The overall tenor of your post is that I've disingenuously misrepresented and inflated cannabis prices and deflated cocaine and heroin prices. Thus, I'd imagine you made this point to buttress that objection (though, admittedly, I cannot see how it achieves that intended goal). However, if the reality is actually opposite of what your point suggests it to be, and the suggestion embedded in the linguistic structure of that point is intended to support your objection, then it logically follows that the objection is equal to or greater than the incorrectness of the point, insofar as that objection could be logically supported by that point if both were true and accurate.

Therefore, your point in the quoted text—trifling as it may be—is predicated on two erroneous, ill-conceived presuppositions. Seeing as how the overall tenor of your whole remonstrance is about my alleged sophistry (that is, my supposed disingenuously inflated cannabis prices and deflated cocaine and heroin prices)—for what motive, no one knows—I wouldn't be wrong to surmise that this quoted text is intended to somehow buttress those accusations of duplicity and subterfuge. However, since both proffered points are not consistent with reality and are demonstrably false, they seem to only have the effect of augmenting and strengthening the dismal presentiment I already had regarding the probability of you proving me wrong in this discussion.

With such egregiously incorrect and asinine premises and supporting arguments, how could one reasonably hold any measurable degree of confidence in the validity of the main argument being propounded, I ask.

It was you who posted a source stating that Afghanistan was the largest producer of cannabis on the globe, to view California as it's main region of origin because you don't want to consider anything but the highest quality is obviously going to paint a skewed picture with an artificially inflated price for cannabis.

Your argument is concerned not, it patently seems, with the validity or rationality of the parameters used in my comparison nor with the truthfulness or verity of the conclusions and hypothesis I derived therefrom. Instead, your reproof is based on preference rather than probity.

This is tantamount to one arguing with another about whether the color and style of the shirt they're wearing is unbecoming or gaudy, instead of if the shirt is worn backwards or inside out.

The Romans are credited with thousands of pithy apothegms and keen maxims. One such Latin aphorism that I think is apposite here is typically phrased as de gustibus non est disputandum , which loosely translates into English as "in matters of taste, there is no dispute/discussion". Its interpretation or meaning should be lucid enough for me to forgo explaining.

I don't discount the credibility in the argument that there is an expensive market for high quality cannabis in some regions of the globe and this would have the obvious effect of pushing up the price if one were to calculate a Worldwide average. I just don't think this effect is as dramatic as you do, because in most of the World, including the regions that produce the most cannabis (like Afghanistan), cannabis is much, much cheaper than the prices you are stating.

So you accept the plausibility of my hypothesis, but just not to its extremity? So not only do I not believe your critique, but apparently neither do you.

Failing to account for this is not cheating in weed's favour, it is actually doing the complete opposite.

A drug is an inanimate object. If my impression of people is rarely tendentious (in fact, I consider most people not at all, and those of whom I do, I normally find them more repulsive than attractive), why would I have any partiality or favoritism for the perception (rather than consumption) of a drug, and of all things its economics?

I think the higher profitability of cannabis in relation to other drug crops comes mainly from the fact that there is considerably more yield of usable material out of a cannabis harvest in any given space

I concur. A m² or individual cannabis plant will almost always result in a greater yield of product than a m² or individual poppy or coca leaf realistically could.

However, if we forget about price per m² for a moment and focus exclusively on price per kg, we can exscind the superfluous conjecture and needless guesswork. Because we are now thinking in terms of weights and not area we don't have to suppose or presume that weed costs more because it puts out more kg of drug per hectare, say, than do coca and poppy, because one kg of cannabis is equal to one kg of anything else. When we analyze and compare the average price of a kg of cocaine, heroin, and weed we see that the price per kg for an equivalent quality (not just the most superlative quality, as I had once incautiously phrased it) of each drug, we find that the cost of cannabis modestly exceeds that of the other two drugs.

A gram of average-quality weed is roughly $10-$15USD on average. Basic arithmetic says:

($10-15/g × 454 g/lb) × (2.2 lb/kg) = $9,988-$14,982/kg —— rounded up we get $10k/kg to $15k/kg.

And that price is not the result of hundreds of dealers having added hundreds of arbitrary markups en route to the end consumer, like with cocaine or heroin. In fact that high price for the weed may have indeed been appended by the producer himself or usually by no more than two or three people down from him, between the consumer and grower.

Compare that to cocaine or heroin which has only passed through two or three sets of hands other than the manufacturer's and the price is roughly equivalent, if not lesser, than that of cannabis, if variables such as weight and the quality are equal.

Of course, I haven't adjusted for discounts for bulk because that is an unknowable variable which is contingent on the caprice of the particular drug dealer and varies considerably between dealers. But this isn't problematic because we will simply exclude this variable from the cocaine and heroin price estimates, which effectively levels things out.

it also requires very little processing to be usable when compared to poppy and coca which need to have their active material extracted, and in the case of heroin it is processed even further after the active ingredient has been extracted.

It's incredibly simple, straightforward, and inexpensive to manufacture heroin from opium gum or cocaine from coca paste. This is why they are so ubiquitous and why drugs like LSD or synthetic psilocybin are exceedingly rare. The former two are almost entirely made by poor, uneducated people with few resources and little wherewithal at their disposal. While the latter two are absolutely impossible to make without being erudite (an ignorant yokel trying to make LSD would be funny to watch from a distance), well-heeled (furnishing a lab fit for the synthesis of most serotonergic psychedelics, especially ergoline derivatives or many substituted tryptamines, is not at all cheap), and well-connected (if you can find a source for wholesale quantities of each LSD precursor without arousing suspicion from the authorities, for example, I dare say you'd find obtaining a dirty bomb a veritable cinch in comparison).

I think what you are arguing clearly does have some impact on the high profitability of cannabis, I just think it is a mino consideration when compared to the two I just mentioned.

That's OK with me; think whatever you want. But you musn't argue your thoughts with such blowzy, sophomoric argumentation within a debate, if in fact your objective is to persuade the opposing party or defend against their aspersions and attacks. Otherwise, the opinion would have been better off if left unsaid, as none of one's time would have been squandered or frittered away by taking their opinion down a path leading to one's inescapable dialectic perdition and their ego would not have gotten bruised and enfeebled along the way. It's a commonly committed gaffe and is the cause of many, if not most debates and verbal disagreements.

Maybe you're correct and I'm the one who is wrong. Maybe—not likely. But as George Orwell once put it:

What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?

Last edited:
My contention was, in point of fact, that the price of the world's highest quality cannabis exceeds the price of the world's highest quality heroin or cocaine (quality per dollar per kg) and had nothing to do with prices and qualities of these drugs as they are within the same geographical vicinity or on the basis of a specific location's markets. My argument was only about the global drug market, not about comparing local markets to one another. My argument was also about the typical wholesale cost(s) of only the highest quality of these drugs, and the geographical locations or particular local markets within which they occur is only coincidental.

It just so happens that the world's most potent weed is almost always grown and sold in Canada, America, Western Europe, and other wealthy and developed regions where expensive grow-ops are affordable and advanced growing information is readily accessible to the public. And it just so happens that Afghanistan makes the most abundant and least diluted heroin. And it just so happens that coca leaves grow well in the Amazon and that Colombia or Peru or Bolivia have the most abundant and least diluted cocaine.

Because the comparison of prices is between the world's highest quality of each drug in question, we must necessarily compare Western cannabis with SW Asian heroin and South American cocaine because those areas are, for whatever reason, where each drugs' highest quality is most readily, abundantly, typically, or in some cases exclusively found and sold.

The issue I have with this is that Western cannabis does not typically leave the West, whereas cocaine and heroin in the West are the same product that is manufactured in South America or Asia. The profit of cannabis is pretty much limited to the domestic area where it was produced, heroin and cocaine generate money by being diluted and moved around the World.

While the increased quality of cannabis increases its value, the opposite is often true with heroin and cocaine. For this reason I don't think you can compare the price of cannabis cultivated in the West to the price hard drugs are sold in their locations where the quality is highest for an accurate representation of the profit that is being generated by a similar quantity of each drug.

It is relevant because it functions as an illustration of my hypothesis to account for why cannabis has a higher profit per km² than Papaver somniferum (including perhaps Papaver bracteatum which contains the alkaloid thebaine (like P. somniferum), which can be extracted and theoretically employed in the syntheses of so-called Bentley compounds) and coca. I care not if my comparison is fair, but factual.

It seems clear to me that the chart is not referring to just the profitability of the drugs to the person who cultivates them, I am certain that Afghan poppy farmers with a hectare of land are not making $60,000 from their crop.

When you consider this, it makes little sense to compare the price of the highest quality cannabis to the highest quality cocaine or heroin, because it is the lesser quality cocaine and heroin that tends to generate the most profit. The overwhelming majority of heroin and cocaine is sold well outside the region it is grown at a lower purity and commands much more money per kilogram than a kilogram of high quality cannabis sold in its most expensive markets.

Your comparison may be factual as far as prices in their respective locations goes, but it falls a long way short of accurately portraying how much money the same quantity of each drug will generate by the time it is purchased by the end user.

Most heroin and cocaine may be manufactured with exceptional purity, but by the time they have migrated even as little as a few hundred kilometers from their point of origin, they have been traded between hundreds of intermediaries and the purity is less than 2/3rds what it was originally. By the time heroin, say, reaches the West, its potency has fallen even lower.

This is a big part of my point, heroin and cocaine do not travel far before they are diluted considerably and the prices inflated dramatically. This is why it does not make sense to compare a kilo of heroin in Kabul to a kilo of weed in California, that kilo of weed in California isn't going to generate anywhere near as many times the initial selling price as the kilo of heroin in Kabul is, so to use these respective prices as an argument for why one is more profitable than the other is fallacious.

So you accept the plausibility of my hypothesis, but just not to its extremity? So not only do I not believe your critique, but apparently neither do you.

How does this make sense? I acknowledged what you highlighted is a factor in the relative profitability of cannabis, I just do not believe it is the main factor as you have argued. To say that because I see some validity in what you say means I can't believe other factors have a more significant impact on the profitability of cannabis is nonsense.

A drug is an inanimate object. If my impression of people is rarely tendentious (in fact, I consider most people not at all, and those of whom I do, I normally find them more repulsive than attractive), why would I have any partiality or favoritism for the perception (rather than consumption) of a drug, and of all things its economics?

You tell me dude, it was you who said
I cheated in weed's favor and it still proved just as if not more expensive than pure coke or smack straight from the producer.

I concur. A m² or individual cannabis plant will almost always result in a greater yield of product than a m² or individual poppy or coca leaf realistically could.

So you accept the plausibility of my hypothesis, but just not to its extremity? So not only do I not believe your critique, but apparently neither do you... :p

However, if we forget about price per m² for a moment and focus exclusively on price per kg, we can exscind the superfluous conjecture and needless guesswork. Because we are now thinking in terms of weights and not area we don't have to suppose or presume that weed costs more because it puts out more kg of drug per hectare, say, than do coca and poppy, because one kg of cannabis is equal to one kg of anything else. When we analyze and compare the average price of a kg of cocaine, heroin, and weed we see that the price per kg for an equivalent quality (not just the most superlative quality, as I had once incautiously phrased it) of each drug, we find that the cost of cannabis modestly exceeds that of the other two drugs.

It makes no sense to compare kilo to kilo when the production potential of their respective drugs in any given space is so drastically different. You can easily grow a pound of weed in a couple of square metres. As I understand it you would need many times that space for coca or poppy to make the same amount of cocaine or heroin.

The chart itself is considering the profitability in terms of cultivated space, I don't understand why you would want to change the parameters of comparison, for the sake of interpreting this data you have to consider the yield of usable product generated in any given space as well as the respective values of a kilogram of each drug because the production capacity of them in a given space is vastly different.

If you accept this and then consider that the production capacity of cannabis in any given space is much greater than that of poppy or coca then it seems incredibly likely that yield is more of a factor on the profitability of these drugs than their respective prices in any given market.

Last edited:
I just read this entire thread. Now I'm mentally fatigued. Can't we all just get along??