The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

The Rehab Experience (what was yours?)

Joey

Bluelighter
I'm hoping to compile some experiences in rehabs. I'm doing this so that I can write about those experiences in a following harm reduction based thread for anyone in NSADD to be read and get some insight into what it's actually like going there. I can share some of my own, and together with your submissions, I'll be able to make a draft. I'd like to know you're takeaways, both good and bad. What worked for you and what didn't. Was it helpful? was it worth it?

The inpatient rehab programs I've been in were all in Ontario, Canada. They were all subsidized OHIP beds (free). My experiences with them were all very similar. I screwed up the first two, which happened in succesion in 2011, I was drinking on my weekends and I decided to leave because there was no longer any point being there. I told the guys I was oin with what I'd ben doing in a meeting later that night... within a few nights anyway. This was a long time ago.

I just remember being really miserable. Especially in program #2. The first program was inpatient or outpatient depending what you wanted, it was a course on addictions and taught about things like PAWS and had a more contemperary scientific view of addictions. It was a good program, but didn't do much for anyones personal issues because of the format. The second program I went to was more the traditional rehab. The standard rehab program for this area anyway. 3 hots and a cot. Groups in house, chores, mandatory AA/NA meetings. I was assigned a counselor who I saw on a regular basis. At least once a week mandatory and often times more then that because that's what you're supposed to do is talk to staff about what going on with you. About working through your issues. I was also required to write a journal each night, which once a week I was to submit to my counselor to read over. I was required to write my biography and present it to the group. It was something we all did, and that was actually a really great experience most nights. These stories brought the group closer almost every story read.

The other in house groups were sometimes led by a staff member, and sometimes the groups were self-led, so we'd all take turns running groups similar to how we all take turns cooking dinner every night. The enthusiasm is often there, but there's very little in way of actual recovery programming when we (the "addicts") are the ones conducting the train to our own bright path. Sometimes these groups were great in their own right. Sometimes they were literally recovery hangman, and the word of the day is relapse, because "relapse is a part of recovery". I agree it can be, but man is that ever funny to me now in a really cynical way. Out of everyone I knew there for that time I was in, I don't know of a single person who didn't relapse. The fact is, treatment or not, the majority of people with an addiction will relapse at some point. Sometimes once, sometimes not at all, sometimes over and over again for years. The majority of people will and do struggle to some degree.

One of my problems with the majojrity of rehab programming like this, al all the rehabs which followed for me is the abstinence only, overreliance on 12 steps programming because the house has little or none, not medically staffed whatsoever, no little to no resources available to deal with peoples mental health or any of their issues, barely have it together for actual addictions treatment, and then you are also taught that you need to deal with your "core issues". They aren't equipped to deal with any of them themselves, like to have programming available or accessible to start a process professionally, but it is of the utmost importance that was deal with our core issues. It is, and I can say this with certainty - that although I cannot claim I had no good experiences, got no value out of, no help, the place sucked, etc... I have my issues with these rehabs but they actually were extemely helpful for me for awhile. I never left one of these places feeling like I'd truly been able to deal with my issues. I did, at least programs 3-5 got the most out of them that I could.

I threw myself into it the best I could and went to all their meetings, every group, made sure my space was perfect (bed made everything clean etc its a rule), got a sponsor, did steps, I quit smoking for 7 months which started my 4th stay, I went to the gym in my spare time (did NOT become a meathead... see my tips later), worked on my music and recorded a demo one stay, got into transitional housing phase at one point and started going to college upgrading my English (got a 60 in gr.12) to go to university for journalism. I got a phone call from my dad which changed my plans to stay in transitional and go to school, went home instead. Should've stayed I suppose. Plan totally blew.

My experience in rehab overall is both positive and negative. I've definitely gotten some help there and had periods of sobriety which I have not beaten on my own. My longest period sober was 10 months in 2014-2015 and I quit smoking for 7 months in there as well. My biggest issue with these rehabs is admittedly within myself, they're not the type of place that is equipped to deal with the issues I do have with mental health and traumatic experiences in my life. The places with are able to handle concurrent disorders and trauma like this are far and few, often cost a boatload of cash to get into, and nowadays some cases not even running at all. For what they are, the typical rehab bed in Ontario, the experience is worthwhile and they save lives. The system is strapped though, waitlists are long especially now in COVID, the programming which is available is limited, even more in COVID since everything's online, and honestly I can't think of anyone, except maybe one person, who didn't relapse. Many died.

I don't think that the chances of getting clean are really that much better in these rehabs than it is otherwise. It's better than nothing, but the programmings antiquated, underfunded, not medical (addiction/substance use disorder is a medical, psychiatric issue), and what you get out of it is pretty much entirely what you put into it. That's all fine, but what isn't is these places don't have too much to offer for the issue they are supposed to be designed to address, the addiction and everything which comes with that. They promote on dealing with core issues, and have no core foundation to even begin dealing with that with you together for even the most basic stuff. A lot of staff in these places are actually just interns doing their work placement to get their sociak work degrees. The rest of the staff are social workers at best, professionally. They do often have a lot of experience with addiction themselves which is a really good thing. They do the best they can with what they've got. I hope to get some help again someday, but I'm determined to go somewhere I can get treatment and help that's rooted in contemporary medical science and what's right for treating a group of people with addictions. I've always left these places feeling I'd fallen short and I'd eventually crumble under the pressure. My expectations are very much adjusted now to a hard reduction stance and wanting to deal with my "core issues" in a real way. It's going to be an ongoing thing for the rest of my life most likely, even if I don't remain using I'll always have my head to keep in check.

My advice to anyone going to rehab is to really look into what the place you're going to has to offer. If you have any choice of where to go whatsoever, take some time to ask questions and figure out what your goals really are, what you want, is this program going to be a good fit, or workable? Are you ready? These are institutions which are meant to save lives, so it should be that serious for you as well. When looking into rehabs, you want something that will be suitable to what you need in a recovery and what you expect. Sometimes there's isn't much choice where to go for a lot of reasons, mainly financial and geographic, so if you're in the situation where you just need to make the best of it, then make the best of it. These programs are just stepping stones to a whole lifetime of work if you are to keep it up. That can mean all kinds of things, depending who you are and what you want to stick to after the inpatient rehab. Keep your expectations in check and treat this as the investment that it is.

The system itself is really strapped and hijacked by 12 steps, and then there's a whole world of private and luxury rehabs I don't have experience with which are apparently a whole racket of their own. There are some good facilities out there, all different kinds, and I think they're mostly well-intentioned but then there are places which are complete occultist scams like the Church of Scientology's Narconon. Watch out for places that are too much just in it for the money or are literally the fucking occult.

I got an std last time. Sike. But really. Fuck. Good thread idea, real response incoming.

Fuck Rehabs! That’s my experience.

I’ve been to detox twice, outpatient rehabs twice and an inpatient rehab once for a very short period of time. I also grew up around AA and NA culture.

It’s all bullshit. I do think there are SOME rehabs which can work for SOME people but the cost of those few good rehabs is too prohibitive compared to what most can afford.

The one I went to was expensive and still a garbage hole. The counselors would manipulate and lie to family to try and keep people there, they’d manipulate patients to manipulate other patients, my first day trying to transfer in to the rehab portion and out of detox one of the counselors in my wing straight up said if his daughter ever became an addict he’d kick her teeth in. I knew quickly it wasn’t the place I wanted to be.

Also it was a lot like jail or school where the tough guys turned the weak guys into their bitches. I actually had a dude I kinda knew in there from the psychedelic scene, day 1 I saw him getting punked incessantly and knew I wouldn’t survive if I let that happen too.

During group one of the biggest guys in there started to kick my seat, gave him about a minute before I turned to him and said “your gonna stop that shit right now.” I guess I said it seriously enough cuz I got invited into the “gang” of tough dudes.

I should mention too this rehab was in a different state near a rough city, these kids were different than me but I still knew how to hang.

Realizing I’d signed up for something I didn’t want to be a part of I started trying to get out without “going against medical advise” so insurance would still cover it. This meant having to stay for another 5 days in the detox unit while they would each day send people to try and talk me to into staying. The guilt they laid on me was ridiculous and if anything only pushed me further to leave seeing how manipulative they were.

That night leaving that place was one of the best feelings of my life. I sat at the window like a dog waiting for its master for hours til my girl pulled up.

Outpatient rehabs I liked a bit better, but honestly rehabs just aren’t for me. I believe my way has been a lot more effective than any full abstinence/doctors meds/coffee n cigs kinda sober.

Detox units are nice though, it’s highly beneficial to have a place to unwind and dry out.

-GC

I’ve been to detox twice, outpatient rehabs twice and an inpatient rehab once for a very short period of time. I also grew up around AA and NA culture.

It’s all bullshit. I do think there are SOME rehabs which can work for SOME people but the cost of those few good rehabs is too prohibitive compared to what most can afford.

The one I went to was expensive and still a garbage hole. The counselors would manipulate and lie to family to try and keep people there, they’d manipulate patients to manipulate other patients, my first day trying to transfer in to the rehab portion and out of detox one of the counselors in my wing straight up said if his daughter ever became an addict he’d kick her teeth in. I knew quickly it wasn’t the place I wanted to be.

Also it was a lot like jail or school where the tough guys turned the weak guys into their bitches. I actually had a dude I kinda knew in there from the psychedelic scene, day 1 I saw him getting punked incessantly and knew I wouldn’t survive if I let that happen too.

During group one of the biggest guys in there started to kick my seat, gave him about a minute before I turned to him and said “your gonna stop that shit right now.” I guess I said it seriously enough cuz I got invited into the “gang” of tough dudes.

I should mention too this rehab was in a different state near a rough city, these kids were different than me but I still knew how to hang.

Realizing I’d signed up for something I didn’t want to be a part of I started trying to get out without “going against medical advise” so insurance would still cover it. This meant having to stay for another 5 days in the detox unit while they would each day send people to try and talk me to into staying. The guilt they laid on me was ridiculous and if anything only pushed me further to leave seeing how manipulative they were.

That night leaving that place was one of the best feelings of my life. I sat at the window like a dog waiting for its master for hours til my girl pulled up.

Outpatient rehabs I liked a bit better, but honestly rehabs just aren’t for me. I believe my way has been a lot more effective than any full abstinence/doctors meds/coffee n cigs kinda sober.

Detox units are nice though, it’s highly beneficial to have a place to unwind and dry out.

-GC
I almost got attacked by some huge fucker for saying "Allahu ackbar" after the mandatory 12 step meeting right after their lords prayer

-GC
I can say fuck rehabs myself. I know theyre not all bad what Ive experienced at all, and I did get some help there but right now Id still like to express e same sentiment... fuck rehab!

fucking places cost ridiculous amount of cash to get in anywhere thats contemporary or medical in any sense, if there is a bed for these places which is covered by provincial health insurance, the waitlist as a place Im thinking of in particular was up to 2 YEARS, BEFORE covid!

Thank god there is so much info, support, and even programming now which is online. I cant imagine where Id be this last year or so if I wasnt constantly on BL and on the web on general learning about these subjects, getting involved, etc. All my 20s basically up until about 29, I rarely posted anything, anywhere, any reason. Now Im a social media fiend of sorts and I conduct almost all my business online or on the phone.

There are so many different types of rehabs, at least in the US. Big difference, different people, different outcomes.

I don't really feel like typing randomly about various rehab experiences at the moment, but if anyone had any questions I would answer them.

I've been to:
AA/NA meetings
Voluntary outpatient
Involuntary outpatient
Court ordered outpatient
Boarding schools for troubled kids
Court ordered "therapeutic" boarding schools for kids
Psych wards
Hospitals
Clinics
Voluntary inpatient
Involuntary inpatient
County/jail psychiatrists and social workers

They are all different in their own way. I feel like I have a lot to contribute to this thread but at the moment I don't feel like writing a wall of text about rehab. Just not in the mood. Maybe tomorrow.

The rest of the staff are social workers at best, professionally. They do often have a lot of experience with addiction themselves which is a really good thing. They do the best they can with what they've got. I hope to get some help again someday, but I'm determined to go somewhere I can get treatment and help that's rooted in contemporary medical science and what's right for treating a group of people with addictions.

I’ve never been to rehab but I actually don’t see a problem with this. If one wants to just go the purely evidence-based, medical science approach, I would just recommend going to see an MD and having them put you on ORT (assuming that we’re talking about an addiction with opioids as DOC). That really is the gold standard of treatment, but it’s also far from a perfect solution, and a medical doctor won’t be in the position to provide the kind of support necessary for a person in recovery. That’s been made abundantly clear by every experience I’ve ever had involving someone trading a handful of Suboxone for a bag of dope. If only it were that simple, then it would just be matter of filling someone’s needy receptors and boom, problem solved. Fulfilling the social element, inoculating the person with a sense of dignity, usefulness, etc, that’s where a case manager/clinical social worker etc can come in handy...and the skill set associated isn’t necessarily someone’s big science brain but rather compassion and, yes, some sort of an idea of what the best evidence-supported method of treating substance use disorder is. My biggest problem with many social workers is that they often seem attached to erroneous assumptions regarding AA/NA related ideology

Yea I should also mention when I say “grew up” around recover and AA/NA people, I experienced a lot like visiting my mom in rehabs and halfway houses. As well as watching many friends and family go through the shit too.

I can’t say I’ve ever met a single person who got clean by going to rehab, fucked up to say but it’s true. Everyone I’ve known, including myself getting my shit together, did so when it finally got to a point where they could lose something they absolutely refuse to lose.

-GC

Yea I should also mention when I say “grew up” around recover and AA/NA people, I experienced a lot like visiting my mom in rehabs and halfway houses. As well as watching many friends and family go through the shit too.

I can’t say I’ve ever met a single person who got clean by going to rehab, fucked up to say but it’s true. Everyone I’ve known, including myself getting my shit together, did so when it finally got to a point where they could lose something they absolutely refuse to lose.

-GC

You know, I believe in the end a lot of people simply "mature" out of their addictions. Whatever that means.

For me, as I got older, getting high started to become less important than being happy or accomplishing basic life goals.

I can't speak for everyone, and I certainly am a VERY high risk of relapse, but I like to think (in general) that there are more important things in life than getting high now. I "matured" out of addiction. A lot of people do, some don't and some never will.

Everyone has their own path towards sobriety and unfortunately many never make it along the way.

In the end it was ME who got me sober. Not the 12 steps. I hesitate to say anything bad about the 12 steps - but it certainly is NOT the only way to sobriety.

12 steps is probably one of the best “structured” ways to get sober despite my distaste for it. The problem occurs with sustained sobriety, it’s not possible for most to keep it up long term.

Counting time creates a form of elitism and feeds the already ravenous addict ego. Then one day 10yrs, 20yrs down the road even something happens and that person fucks up, we all do. But now because so much weight is put on this number, it creates this barrier to actually speak the truth and give up all those precious coins.

They say no discrimination but I’ve watched folks admit making a mistake in AA and be judged for it, gossip runs rampant just like anywhere else.

That’s why I believe counting time is not the way to go. We’re just recovering addicts and that’s that. Whether you got a day clean or a decade, we all are susceptible to falling.

-GC

12 steps is probably one of the best “structured” ways to get sober despite my distaste for it. The problem occurs with sustained sobriety, it’s not possible for most to keep it up long term.

Counting time creates a form of elitism and feeds the already ravenous addict ego. Then one day 10yrs, 20yrs down the road even something happens and that person fucks up, we all do. But now because so much weight is put on this number, it creates this barrier to actually speak the truth and give up all those precious coins.

They say no discrimination but I’ve watched folks admit making a mistake in AA and be judged for it, gossip runs rampant just like anywhere else.

That’s why I believe counting time is not the way to go. We’re just recovering addicts and that’s that. Whether you got a day clean or a decade, we all are susceptible to falling.

-GC

I could not rewrite this 10 times and have it be more accurate. Bully for you, G (good for you).

Time is simply a number and if it means anything to you... then use it - but NEVER calculate time against your own self. This is not fair or realistic, you see?

Hardcore AA/NA addicts will count the seconds as if that's the amount of time they've allotted for the rest of their lives. It's almost macabre.

It's always, and always will be, the effort and meaning that counts when it comes to obtaining sobriety. The journey. The result is a benefit.

I went to a NA meeting once. I didn't like it, felt like everyone was bragging about how good thier dope was. Or how you can't recover without letting Jesus in your life.

Meh. Everyone I know that went to rehab had money to throw at the problem.

During detox, being around other addicts made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I wanted to strangle all of the loud ones. I don't know how they manage to not kill each other.

^^ I wasn't very stable in that period of life.
I kinda wish I had access to professional help at the time.
I know I never addressed the underlying mental health issues, just trying to move on.

Some issues I still work through to this day
1. Crippling depression
2. Anxiety
3. Anger management/stress
4. Insomnia
5. Back pain -

Since sobriety, those underlying mental issues are more manageable but it's not like they just go away.
I'm alright , just keep on going

I got an std last time. Sike. But really. Fuck. Good thread idea, real response incoming.
I went to a rehab called top of the world ranch in cranbrook BC Canada. My parents paid 20,000 dollars for one month. It was co Ed! A guy fell in love with me and I was married. We had a insane connection and I felt so torn about it, he died one week after he graduated from a fentanyl overdose . His parents contacted me after and wanted me to write something they could share at his funeral because he told them when he got home from treatment that I changed his life and loved me . I told him we couldn’t have a relationship and we couldn’t go down that road. Then two days later he’s dead, I cried so hard …blamed myself and relapsed within a few weeks after that.

Horrible nasty shit, 2 9-month spells in a expensive as fuck nightmarish place that resembled a military camp rather than a place to heal, they just traumatized me even worse. I learned to cook crack there, made several connections for drugs and ended up doing drugs with like 25% ppl I met there. No wonder I relapsed in less than a week both times, that place didn't want ppl to recover. They just wanted kids to do drugs again so they could be trapped in an endless cycle of getting In and out of there so they could make tons of money. We were seen just like social outcasts who they could abuse and make money off of us.