• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

Fetuccini Alfredo with chicken and vegetables! yummy!

I've been a curry enthusiast for years.

It started when I was dating this Japanese girl, her parents would make different types of curry (all which were delicious).

I've become somewhat independent over the years and have to cook for myself, and it has been a while since I've had curry.

I invested in some Iranian Chicken Curry powder recently, and it is really good when added to foods like rice and noodles.

I want to make 'curry' curry tho'. Not just add in flavor.

What are some of your favorite kinds of curry? Good recipes? Tips...etc!

I really like Japanese beef style curry (a thick broth with beef, onions, carrots, and potatoes).

Any input is welcome! Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Just go to the store and buy Japanese curry packets

sb-golden-curry-chukara.jpg

You boil water, add curry packet, and then add whatever you want.. ground beef/ground turkey/chicken, vegetables: carrots, celery, onions, potato.. plus anything else like tofu.

I've merged this in here for you, as better results are likely. Also, there is a curry recipe at the top of this very page. ;)

Last edited:
Master Curry Powder recipe from Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking:

makes 1 c:
1/2 c. coriander seeds
15 dry red chili pods (optional, adds heat)
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
15-20 curry leaves, dry or fresh (optional)
3 TBS turmeric powder
Mix coriander, chili pods, cumin, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and peppercorns in container of an electric blender or spice mill and grind to a fine powder in several batches. Pour into bowl and combine well. If using fresh curry leaves, dry them for 4-5 min. in an ungreased frying pan over low heat. Grind them in the blender and then add to the spice powder in the bowl. Stir in turmeric. Transfer mixture to an airtight jar, cover tightly, and store in cool place up to 3 months.

This blows the typical Madras style curry powder you find at supermarkets the fuck out of the water. It also doesn't taste very different with the curry leaves omitted.

ebola

Last edited:
That sounds very similar to a vindaloo recipe I have except it has sautéed onion, ginger, garlic and vinegar added afterwards to make a paste. I think the ratio of chilli is higher too. I don't usually make it in huge quantities like that but it's a good idea especially if you have a spice grinder.

Ah, yeah, that's for the base spice recipe. When actually making a curry, ginger, garlic, and onion will almost always be involved. There are also little tweaks that people can make to it depending on the regional style of the dish they're making. In a lot of cases, the recipe will call for added cardamom or cinnamon.
I have (maybe had) a coffee grinder that was used exclusively for spices. I'm wondering if a conventionally used coffee grinder would impart too heavy a coffee flavor if used to grind spices.

ebola

i made stuffed zucchini with stuff i had laying around. it turned out really yummy.

i hollowed out the zucchini and set the zucchini goo aside. then i sauteed some ground sausage and onions, i added the zucchini goo and garlic when then sausage and onion started to brown and cooked it a bit longer. i drained the fat/liquid, then added in some panko crumbs, sunflower seeds and a little garlic vinaigrette. i added the stuffing back to the zucchini and topped it with some grated cheese (i would leave the cheese out next time or mix it in with everything else) and baked it at 350F for about 40 min.

944710_10101493157207904_1649989071_n.jpg

What happened to the compiled recipe book?
edit: it's in the first iteration of this thread in the archive, dumbass!

ebola

Last edited:
This thread deserves a bump :)

Whiskey Steak Sauce

1/2 cup whiskey
1 cup heavy cream
Salt/pepper to taste

Saute over medium-low flame until lightly simmering and serve immediately over the meat/veggies of your choice.

We can't let this thread die!

I have a request: if anyone has a foolproof Pad Thai recipe where the noodles do not get gooey, I'd really appreciate if you'd share. Must not contain meat, poultry, fish or green onions, pretty much anything else is fine.

I'll share a tip from the Sept/Oct 2013 issue of Cuisine At Home Magazine for perfect poached eggs.

Here's how to poach eggs with little fuss: spray the insides of disposable foil cupcake liners with nonstick spray, place them in a skillet, and add the eggs -- one per liner. Add water to the skillet until it is even with the eggs, cover the skillet, and cook eggs over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until done to your liking. The result is easy poached eggs with little to no cleanup. Plus the eggs come out with attractive little zigzag edges.

I have a ton of recipes for traditional Swedish stuff that came over to the states a few generations back. If there's any interest in that I'd be happy to post a few.

I'm a curry lover and eat tonnes of the stuff -

An interesting one is cook your basic curry powder out then instead of adding tomato add mango chutney cook that a bit then add coconut milk. You end up with a sweet but thick curry which tastes great (works great with chicken)

One other thing that that I think is a must when making curry is to season your oil before you start - (mustard seeds, full dried chili, curry leaves etc), also if you invest in a cast iron curry pot Kadai this imparts a certain flavor. If you like the Indian style curry then if you haven't already tried it buy something called Asafoetida (a dry spice that you add to the hot oil at the start of cooking).

Before
dsc7086n.jpg

After
dsc7114b.jpg

Last edited:
mango curry is delicious! below is my lazy version of the persian dish dopiaza

• brown some diced onions in butter. season with salt, pepper, tumeric and ginger.
  • add diced potatoes and continue to cook
  • when the potatoes get tender, add ground beef. add some more seasoning
  • add a little more onion and keep cooking
  • once the beef and potatoes are cooked, mix in some tomato paste or salsa.

you can use real tomatoes instead of tomato paste if you want. but i don't generally like actual tomatoes, so i never have any around.

it looks kind bland but tastes awesome

248880_10100209022089974_4840267_n.jpg

i love seeing your name as the last poster in this thread ac.

that hungarian (i believe?) cabbage and noodle dish you shared was delicious, and that doplaza looks amazing too :D

mango and curry go together beautifully imo.

...kytnism...:|

i love seeing your name as the last poster in this thread ac.

that hungarian (i believe?) cabbage and noodle dish you shared was delicious, and that doplaza looks amazing too :D

mango and curry go together beautifully imo.

...kytnism...:|

it was a hungarian dish, i'm glad you liked it :)

here is another easy hungarian recipe, turos czusza

• 12 ounce of cottage cheese with all the liquid drained out (you want just the curds)
  • 1/2 pound of bacon
  • 16 oz (1 bag) of egg noodles
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • salt, pepper and hungarian paprika for flavoring

preheat oven to about 350F. cook the bacon and then crumble it up. while the bacon is cooking, boil the noodles. once the noodles are done and strained, combine the noodles, crumbled bacon, cottage cheese and sour cream in an oven safe dish. season with some salt, pepper and paprika. bake in oven for a few minutes until the cottage cheese starts to melt. then eat :)

741104_10101188851399184_654478328_o.jpg

I made vegetarian chilli beans with chorizo tonight. I like the healthiness of vegetarian chilli but the chorizo just adds that extra meatiness and flavour to the whole thing.

Dice a chorizo sausage, fry for a few minutes until crispy, remove from pan and drain reserving the fat, add a diced onion to the pan and saute in the oil (full of flavoursome paprika from the sausage) for a few minutes, add a few diced potatoes, half a carrot and a stick of celery finely minced, a tsp each of cumin and coriander (powder), saute for a few more minutes then add two or three cans of beans (rinsed and drained), two cans of tomato, a good handful of finely chopped corainader leaf, stem and roots. Let that simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.

I had that on top of corn chips with a pico de gallo - just minced tomato, white onion, coriander leaves and lime juice - and a bit of cheese. T'was amazing!