• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

I made this for lunch the other day. A 3 cheese, pesto and tomato toasted sandwich - it was great.

2 slices wholemeal bread buttered
20g good cheddar
20g mozzarella cheese
10g parmesan cheese
1 tomato, sliced
Bottled pesto
Black pepper

Heat up small pan. Grate all the cheese. Spoon a couple of teaspoons of pesto on the unbuttered side of one piece of bread. Add tomato slices, pepper and grated cheese then the other slice of bread, buttered side up.

Heat both sides of sandwich in pan on medium heat until cheese is all melty and delicious and bread has browned.

For those indulgent days when you just need a fattening sandwich.

;)

^ I make my own pesto quite often, basil in summer and Kale in winter. If I don't have any around though I'll use bottled, especially for sandwiches and such.

Ah. I find that the process of canning destroys compounds essential to pesto's flavor.
What is kale pesto like?

I love kale pesto as kale is one of my favourite vegetables and it means I can make pesto all year round if I choose .. it has a similar flavour to basil pesto, herby and fresh but without the obvious basil flavour. I use walnuts instead of pine nuts and pecorino instead of parmesan.

Anyone got a recipe for eggnog? We generally dont see it here in Oz and I dont know what makes a good mix.

xx

Oh and I'll put up a great lemon tart recipe and a awesome easy date slice when I get home from Canadia :)

Oh my GOD!!! For one... I just came on here to say hi, because I haven't seen your name in AGES. Secondly... whaaaat?! Egg Nog!?!? Seriously! I have an incredible one, my dads home made egg nog. I grew up loving the shit outta that stuff. But it's non-alcoholic. If that's your bag. I might have to find it though.

Oh my GOD!!! For one... I just came on here to say hi, because I haven't seen your name in AGES. Secondly... whaaaat?! Egg Nog!?!? Seriously! I have an incredible one, my dads home made egg nog. I grew up loving the shit outta that stuff. But it's non-alcoholic. If that's your bag. I might have to find it though.

Heyy! Yeah just been spending a lot of time at home recently, if the weathers bad or its the weekend Im at home usually by myself so getting back into posting again :)

Id like to add booze since.. well... since I like booze.. Will your dads eggnog still work if I tip in some brandy or what ever usually goes in eggnog or will it ruin the consistency?

I'd assume it'd still work just fine. It's really sweet though, but you could always either put less sugar in it or something of the sort. I will warn ya though... there's raw eggs in it. It's all blended together in a blender though so it's not like you really notice you're drinking raw eggs.

^ if the milk etc. that goes into it is hot, it'll sort of cook them. And really, most eggs are safe to eat raw anyway.

Careful with adding booze to dairy-- if the fat content isn't high enough, it can wind up curdling. Most nogs are fine, but it's a good idea to pour slowly while stirring just to make sure that there aren't any areas with higher alcohol/nog ratios.

Hm okay thanks for the advice. Ill have to give it a few test goes before I start handing it out to the family.

undead, im good with raw eggs :)

Good advice, Dave!

AS, I'll have to get back to you when I find that damn recipe! I literally saw it a couple days ago! But as it always goes, when you need it... you can't find it! If you don't mind being patient I'll try to find it tonight... hopefully at the WORST I can find it tomorrow (I'm off all day so I can really search for it!). :)

Oh. My. God.

This thread is one word, AWESOME!!

I am going to the shops to buy some god damn ingredients and making some of this shit right away. Everything sounds fucking so so so tasty here you guys just made me so hungry. Will definatly get me an my fiancee to post a few of our recipes later today as well. Seriously though, I don't think I have ever been this hungry =D

Spicy pequin veggie stir fry

8 oz wheat noodles
1 potato
1 onion
2 jalapeno peppers
1 yellow bell pepper
1 tbsp ground pequin chili pepper
3 tbsp lite soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste

1. Prepare noodles as directed on the package. (Add them to boiling for 10 minutes)

2. Cut up potato into cubes then add them to boiling water.
Note: to save time, I just put the cut up potato into water, wait until it boils then added the dry wheat noodles. That way they cook at the same time.

3. Cut up the rest of the vegetables anyway you like. Smaller is better IMO. Be sure to remove the seeds from the bell pepper and jalapenos.

4. In a wok or frying pain, stir fry the onion and potato in oil until the onion is light golden brown.

5. Add the rest of the vegetables as well as the condiments.

6. Stir fry until the vegetables are almost done then add the noodles

7. Stir fry for 1 more minute then serve.

AishasStar!!!

Sorry for the delay, I just found the recipe!

Now mind you, this recipe isn't an exact recipe, my dad never had measurements to this per se, he just kinda threw stuff in there with generality. I wrote down what he threw in there once and called it a recipe. So anyways... this is my dad's Egg Nog recipe (bear in mind... the throws all this stuff into a blender, then blends it and pours it into glasses):

3 eggs
1/3 and a half cups of sugar
about a teaspoon of vanilla
little under a teaspoon of nutmeg
halfway filled with ice cubes
fill the rest of the way with milk
blend in a blender until the ice is crushed

Also... where it says 1/3 and a half cups sugar... it's because he did 1/3 of a cup, then fill the 1/3 cup halfway and added that much more.

I know this is a written really SHITTY so if you have any questions... ask here and I'll explain it more clearly. OR... if need be, I can make some myself and give you more specific directions. :D

Lemon blackberry tart

Lemon blackberry tart

One sheet ready rolled shortcrust pastry
1 x egg white, whisked with fork

Filling:
200g raw caster sugar
4 x 59g eggs
150ml thickened cream (I used Kraft Philly light cream for cooking)
Grated zest of 2 lemons
100mls freshly squeezed, sieved lemon juice (I used 4 small-medium lemons)
130g blackberries (or berries of your choice)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 20cm pie tin.

Line the pie tin with sheet of rolled out pastry; line with baking paper then fill with baking weights or dry rice or legumes. Bake in oven for 10 minutes (blind bake).

Remove tart base from oven, take out the paper and weights and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until the base of the pastry is dry. Remove from the oven once more and brush with whisked egg white then return to oven again for 5 minutes, or until the base is shiny and dried. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Immediately decrease oven temperature to 150 degrees C.

By hand, whisk sugar and eggs until mixture is foamy and sugar is starting to dissolve. Whisk in cream, then lemon zest and juice until mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour into tart case and bake for 40 minutes or until just set – don’t be concerned if it’s wobbly in the centre, as it sets as it cools. Allow tart to sit for 5 minutes then lightly press berries over the top, allowing the warm filling to soften the berries slightly (this brings out their flavour even more).

Allow to cool to room temperature then store covered with plastic wrap in the fridge.

Serves: 6

Adapted from a cookbook recipe

2273962180085630135S425x425Q85.jpg

This recipe isn't my own; it belongs to someone I know who isn't a BLer. I tasted it today and went WOW. I am not a quinoa person at all in general; this was absolute success with respect to both technique and end product. I have a few bunches of kale ready to duplicate this recipe. I'm hopeful I do as good a job as the recipe's author did. It's an awesome summertime recipe.

(And @Dave - I thought of your love for fresh greens and quinoa as I tasted this, I thought "I WISH DAVE WAS HERE" :D)

Massaged Kale & Quinoa Salad:

1 bunch kale
1 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp Champagne Pear Vinegar (my note - any flavored vinegar light in color should do fine)
1 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup cooked quinoa

Wash kale and remove the spine. Stack and roll leaves, cutting them chiffonade style (in ribbons). Place kale into a mixing bowl and sprinkle salt on top. Massage the kale and sea salt with your hands for approx. 2 minutes (until the kale is wilted and has a 'cooked' appearance). Stir in the remainder of the ingredients, chill and serve.

:) Massaging kale... who knew?

^yummy. i might need to try that. i am trying to figure out ways to get my husband to eat more veggies.

249856_10100204972350684_2383693_n.jpg

i am pretty sure i posted a recipe when i made this last summer, but i just used it for the photo contest so i will repost it...

veggie salad

• slightly blanched broccoli. i like to soften it a little so it is easier to eat
  • chopped yellow peppers
  • shredded carrots
  • pecans
  • thinly sliced cucumbers
  • really crispy bacon

mix all the veggies together. the dressing is a mix of garlic expressions salad dressing and mayo. i am sure you can make your own garlic vinaigrette but i was feeling lazy. and i am obsessed with the salad dressing i linked to. i eat it on just about anything.

i just picked a variety of veggies that i like raw and tried to make sure they looked colorful. the pecans and bacon added texture. i also varied how i cut up the veggies so it all had different shapes. so you can easily modify the recipe however you want.

^That looks delicious! Everything in that salad looks so thin and easy to eat - love the different textures. Also I LOVE salads without leafy greens! I am all for leafy greens in general, but sometimes I just want something more hearty in my salads.

I think apple would be a great sweet addition to those ingredients, a_c. :)

Apple is an awesome addition to most salads, as is sliced orange... I grew up on apple and orange in salads that my mum made :) I also love roasting slices of sweet potato and adding that to a salad.

It's been considerably cooler here in Brisbane (especially since we'd spent a fortnight beforehand in 30 degree heat), so it's time for adding some hearty fare to our meal rotation. We made pumpkin soup last night:

2 butternut pumpkins
1 small tub of low-fat cream
3 teaspoons (or thereabouts) of ground coriander
a handful of chopped dry parsley
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 cups vegetable stock
salt & pepper to taste

We chopped/skinned the pumpkin and brought it to the boil with 1.5L water and 500ml vegetable stock. Once the pumpkin was soft enough, I blended it roughly with my stab blender, added the cream, ground coriander, nutmeg & dry parsley and let it simmer for 15 minutes until it reduced. I then added a handful of ground peppercorns and a dash of salt. With the salt, I figure that i'd rather not add much as if people want it saltier, they can add it individually. We ate it for dinner last night and have 8 serves frozen. As for the cream, i guess it's optional, but i've experimented with not adding it or substituting it with natural yoghurt or sour cream, and i find that yoghurt doesn't blend as well. Sour cream is a little better, but for those worried about fat content, this makes about 3.5L of soup and i added a 300ml tub of low-fat cream - the fat content per serve is negligible compared to the more velvety consistency of the soup when cream is added.

Next on the soup menu this week is a chicken, vegetable and noodle soup.